Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N4 - Collooney to Castlebaldwin [open to traffic]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

roadmaster wrote: »
    Id say with site set up etc we could be looking at well after st Patrick's day before any heavy work starts

Time enough for earthworks. Only burning diesel before that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 HabibiLibnen

Is there any chance they'd start before the sod turning? As already mentioned, it's just a PR event and I've seen sod turning events for schools etc happening after construction commenced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭roadmaster

tigerboon wrote: »

Time enough for earthworks. Only burning diesel before that.

They got be getting rid of the bushes and hedges before 1st March Aldo I I know technically under planning they can remove them after the1st March but the grennies still would winge. Since you mentioned roadbridge I have seen a few ads for them looking for staff in the west

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Anyone from the area know if the hedges along the route have been cleared?

If not, construction work will start approx 3 days before the hedge cutting ban comes into effect which rules that out for 6 months.

Funny how such a straightforward project can be turned into such a dumpster fire under the eye of this individual.

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »
    Anyone from the area know if the hedges along the route have been cleared?

If not, construction work will start approx 3 days before the hedge cutting ban comes into effect which rules that out for 6 months.

Funny how such a straightforward project can be turned into such a dumpster fire under the eye of this individual.

As mentioned in my last post i believe there is a clause under planning that you can remove the hedges after the official ban but the optics look bad if you do

What is the long term plan for road type from this road to mcneads bridge? Is it going to be a mix of HQDC,Motorway,Type 2 or will they for less confusion for the standard motorist have 1 type only?

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

roadmaster wrote: »
    What is the long term plan for road type from this road to mcneads bridge? Is it going to be a mix of HQDC,Motorway,Type 2 or will they for less confusion for the standard motorist have 1 type only?
    I THINK...It's going to be Type 1 DC from Sligo to Collooney, Type 2 DC Collooney to Castlebaldwin, WS2 Castlebaldwin to Carrick, Type 2 DC Carrick to Longford, Type 1 DC (Inc. Motorway) Longford to Lucan.

I THINK...It's going to be Type 1 DC from Sligo to Collooney, Type 2 DC Collooney to Castlebaldwin, WS2 Castlebaldwin to Carrick, Type 2 DC Carrick to Longford, Type 1 DC (Inc. Motorway) Longford to Lucan.
    This is correct. Planned improvements between now and circa 2030 are 2+2 from Collooney-Castlebaldwin, 2+2 around Carrick on Shannon to the Dromod/Roosky bypass, and the entire gap between J17 of the Mullingar bypasss and the Dromod/Roosky bypass which will be an unknown standard.

The biggest change here will be that the DC now will start north of Carrick-on-Shannon and run the whole way to Dublin instead of starting at Mullingar. That's an extra 73km of dual carriageway which will make a substantial difference. It's likely that the Castlebaldwin-Boyle-Carrick section will be 2+2 retrofitted post 2027 giving continuous Sligo-Dublin DC.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The 2+2 retrofit will be relatively easy due to the sections being new builds from the 1990s/early 2000s and frequently featuring climbing and passing lanes anyway. There's some limited grade separation too, e.g. the junction for Ballinafad. All good road built to a very high standard for the time, and with minimal encroachment over time - that its mostly offline from Boyle to Castlebaldwin and a relatively large chunk north of Carrick helped there in terms of accesses going on to the old N4.

A few compact GSJs and unfortunately probably a roundabout at each end of the Boyle bypass should solve all the crossing traffic.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭highwaymaniac

Only €150 million for a major upgrade. Albeit short but that's not expensive. Compare that to €1.4 million for a news room revamp at RTE...

Also bare in mind that this is the total budget including vat, land,design, supervision etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

Delighted for Sligo. Those crosses are an awful sight (though a reminder if how dangerous) on the existing stretch.

Downside of course is 2 years of Stop/Go systems and the likes i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Delighted for Sligo. Those crosses are an awful sight (though a reminder if how dangerous) on the existing stretch.

Downside of course is 2 years of Stop/Go systems and the likes i guess.

Shouldn't be too bad....all offline bar the two tie-ins.

Shouldn't be too bad....all offline bar the two tie-ins.

2/3km closest to Collooney is online upgrade

Confirmation that this project will start this month and that the contract has been awarded to Roadbridge

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/sligochampion/news/road-saw-almost-30-deaths-in-30-years-37766526.html

Confirmation that this project will start this month and that the contract has been awarded to Roadbridge

https://www.independent.ie/regionals/sligochampion/news/road-saw-almost-30-deaths-in-30-years-37766526.html

I was in Sligo last week and seen roadbridge pickups driving around. They must be planning on starting very soon

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭hondar

Official sod turning today.plant has been in there working for the last 2 weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

hondar wrote: »
    Official sod turning today.plant has been in there working for the last 2 weeks.

Glad to hear this much delayed and urgently needed scheme has finally started. But why on Earth did Leo V show up for the sod turning? Wasn’t Shane Ross’s présence enough?

Looks like Leo would turn out for the opening of a pack of crisps...:rolleyes:

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Glad to hear this much delayed and urgently needed scheme has finally started. But why on Earth did Leo V show up for the sod turning? Wasn’t Shane Ross’s présence enough?

Looks like Leo would turn out for the opening of a pack of crisps...:rolleyes:

They have custom made Ireland 2040 hard hats and hi vis jackets now. May as well make the most of them

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭highwaymaniac

X

Lowest was €70M highest nearly €98M that's some spread and only 4 tenders received!

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Aontachtoir

JupiterKid wrote: »
    But why on Earth did Leo V show up for the sod turning? Wasn’t Shane Ross’s présence enough?

National infrastructure deserves national attention. ;) That and there isn't going to be many other sod turnings for the next few years.

National infrastructure deserves national attention. ;) That and there isn't going to be many other sod turnings for the next few years.
    N5 Westport-Turlough, N22 Macroom-Ballyvourney in 2019. No sod turning at Dunkettle (yet!) which is a bit surprising.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

X

Lowest was €70M highest nearly €98M that's some spread and only 4 tenders received!

Very cheap, I wonder why some schemes are so incredibly expensive compared to others, even taking into account standard, terrain etc.

Stop go system in place along here until 2021 as per AA Roadwatch. Looks like it will be a long 2 years for any N4 regulars

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Stop go system in place along here until 2021 as per AA Roadwatch. Looks like it will be a long 2 years for any N4 regulars

Great..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭veryangryman

On the mainline? Ah ffs i thought road was to be parallel

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

On the mainline? Ah ffs i thought road was to be parallel

It is parallel; I don’t see why you’d need a stop/go system?

Advertisement