Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can you recommend a basic GPS handheld

• 01-03-2013 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭

Im looking to get into Geocaching tried a local cache on my phone and found it easy enough because i knew the area Im looking to pick up a basic easy to use GPS can anyone recommend one please

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Yep, etrex10.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭ShadowFox

A mate has one of these http://www.heinnie.com/Navigation/Garmin-Sat-Nav/Foretrex-401/p-488-568-5704/ that he is trying to sell me
    Anyone ever used this type for Geocaching?

grapeape wrote: »
    A mate has one of these http://www.heinnie.com/Navigation/Garmin-Sat-Nav/Foretrex-401/p-488-568-5704/ that he is trying to sell me

I don't think you can easily download and transfer pocket queries full of caches to the 401. I could be wrong though. So for geocaching it might be tiny bit less user-friendly in that regard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MunsterGeo

ShadowFox wrote: »

I'm considering (and saving...) for a handheld gps and am interested in the 401.

Since your mate has one, you could easily see if you can download the required data to it. That way you would know if it would suit you or not.

For me personally, it wouldn't be a big deal if you couldn't download data to it but I could see the advantage of being able to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭tampopo

Yep, etrex10.

Howya GhostInTheRuins, I got an etrex10 about a year ago and I don't know what it is about it but am having terrible trouble understanding/operating it. I want to be able to enter the GC codes and get it to point me in the right direction. Will this do this?

I have a Windows phone which seems of little use. That's why I got the GPS, y'know?

Any basic tips would be appreciated. Going away this weekend and would love to be able to pick up a few while I'm at it...

ta much,

tampopo wrote: »
    Howya GhostInTheRuins, I got an etrex10 about a year ago and I don't know what it is about it but am having terrible trouble understanding/operating it. I want to be able to enter the GC codes and get it to point me in the right direction. Will this do this?

I have a Windows phone which seems of little use. That's why I got the GPS, y'know?

Any basic tips would be appreciated. Going away this weekend and would love to be able to pick up a few while I'm at it...

ta much,

Are you having trouble getting pocket queries on it, or just inputting coordinates?

You mention entering the GC codes, if you're not using pocket queries the GC code will be useless to you, you need to enter the geocache coordinates into it for it to point you anywhere. They'll be something like this :
    N 53° 36.713
    W 006° 33.252

Are you having trouble getting pocket queries on it, or just inputting coordinates?

You mention entering the GC codes, if you're not using pocket queries the GC code will be useless to you, you need to enter the geocache coordinates into it for it to point you anywhere. They'll be something like this :
    N 53° 36.713
    W 006° 33.252

Yes, yes, the co-ordinates like above should do me grand...eh,what section should it be inputted???

tampopo wrote: »
    Yes, yes, the co-ordinates like above you do me grand...eh,what section should it be inputted???

On the main menu press the "Where to?" icon, and then on the next screen press the "Coordinates" button, and that'll get you to the input screen. Use the arrows and numbers to throw in your coordinates!

On the main menu press the "Where to?" icon, and then on the next screen press the "Coordinates" button, and that'll get you to the input screen. Use the arrows and numbers to throw in your coordinates!

Ah yes, that's it. Easy when you know how, eh? I tried it last evening after the mystery that was the Amber prog on RTE1. Brought me to GZ which was 100m from where I'd been looking.

previously I'd used hints or clues and photographs from previous finds. I couldn't find it in the dark, but went back today. STILL couldn't find it. Checked the photos again and they were roughly 100m from where I was brought by the GPS. I'll try again with one I've found and see how accurate it is. But it's a vast improvement, so thanks very much...

• Advertisement

No problem

Advertisement