28-04-2019, 10:46   #376
poteen

Im for interview this week. Just wondering how technical the interview gets. Will they ask for some specifics on figures, calcs etc.

Also, for the competencies, how do you approach it. Do you very pointedly say this us how i have achieved competency for this and this is how for that etc or is it the interviewer that leads it?

Also what do you say for your opening statement?
Advertisement
28-04-2019, 14:43   #377
Dónal
Gravity is a harsh mistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by poteen View Post
Im for interview this week. Just wondering how technical the interview gets. Will they ask for some specifics on figures, calcs etc.

Also, for the competencies, how do you approach it. Do you very pointedly say this us how i have achieved competency for this and this is how for that etc or is it the interviewer that leads it?

Also what do you say for your opening statement?
For my opening statement, I had brought in a folder and I included an update on work I had done since I submitted the report, with particular focus on the competencies for all my experience. Plan your statement accordingly I would say.

I don't remember the interview being technical. My report had stated sections which covered each competency, so I mentioned my experience around the competencies instead of saying you had completed competency 1.2 here. But whatever works!

Best of luck. Read back through your report and endure you know it, and how you've met the competencies in your submission.
Thanks from:
22-01-2020, 10:08   #378
bmacsuibhne

I have a couple of question of the Competencies. I am an structural engineer with all of my experience in the USA and I am trying to fill out the Chartered Application. How close did you get to the 500 word limit in each of the competencies? Also how different is Competency 1 and 2? I feel that some of the Guidance examples are very similar.
01-05-2020, 17:16   #379
madmac187

Hi all, the firm I work for are covering my IEI membership. I havent been a member since 2014 so here I am. Anyway, once they pay for it Im thinking of trying to go for chartership. I was planning on doing another masters, but think it would be better served to get chartered if I am to try to get a job council job. (Not getting any younger). So what is the process to all of this. I have been abroad working in Australia, Papa New Guinea, UK and home, so I have been around and have approx 11 years experience. I know I have to be a member for 3 months, but I was a member prior to 2014 for a long time so Im hoping that will cover it. I have a fair bit of CPD done on my own bat also. In relation to the chartered supporting members, do I look for them or are they assigned to me?
04-06-2020, 16:33   #380
Billiam5099

Has anyone been through the remote chartership interview process in the last few weeks in these socially distanced times? Were there any particular difficulties with the medium which I should be aware of?

Going for my first chartership interview next week, wish me luck!
Advertisement
05-06-2020, 14:18   #381
xchancellor

I have just been through the online process for my 2nd attempt at Phase 2.

I found it quite seemless and the tech worked well though I'm very used to remote working, screen sharing etc. There was some issues with connection dropping in and out on the reviewers end but didn't really put me off tbh.

Compared to the face to face interview it was like night and day, however my first experience was not a good one so the bar was set very low. So I don't see this format as a dis-advantage at all.

Best advice i can give, although easier said than done, is to relax and take it in your stride and be confident.
06-06-2020, 08:58   #382
Billiam5099

Thanks for the reply xchancellor. Have you received a result yet?

I'm reasonably experienced at remote working & presenting so hopefully that aspect won't be too challenging.

In terms of interview content, to what extent were the questions technical? Were you quizzed on engineering theory, or was it more to do with how you handled your projects?
08-06-2020, 08:37   #383
xchancellor

Haven't received result yet.

I would say it depends very much on your reviewers to be honest. But would suggest they are more general questions on projects/situations and how you dealt/managed them. Also report content feeds in to this e.g. is your report technical/managerial etc

Probably also depends on your discipline. Have a general response about sustainability/environment and also health & safety.

If you are good at this type of thing (which I am not) you can probably react to questions and lead them in your own direction to get across a certain bit of experience you want to highlight. If you are talking they aren't asking/having to think up awkward questions!
15-06-2020, 10:44   #384
Billiam5099

Had my interview last Tuesday. The video conference aspect of it wasn't any sort of hindrance at all. The team was very friendly and polite. The questions were not delving into the intricacies of calculations, but more on what xchancellor said: how you dealt with situations. How did you design H&S into X project? What lead you to Y decision? And why were you confident that that would work? Are you confident that it will go smoothly? Why? How have you planned, budgeted, lead, managed? Lots of detail on leadership and how you develop your team. Asking how I innovated with particular roles. My experience doesn't include being the manager for large teams but more leading one or two, so I had to develop how I show leadership in bringing design/contractor teams around to new concepts or technologies that may be new or unfamiliar to them.

In general, you're pushed until you hit your limit, before they would move on. Don't BS, be honest. Develop for them experience that's comparable if you haven't an exact match of an answer for them.

The membership board are set to meet mid this week (17/6/20 I think), and results will be issued in 3-4 working days thereafter.
Advertisement
31-10-2020, 17:19   #385
Haulie86

I am thinking about starting my chartership but I have been based in construction (site engineering) and not design or consultancy. Is it possible for me still to get chartered?
01-11-2020, 03:12   #386
Bobjims

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haulie86 View Post
I am thinking about starting my chartership but I have been based in construction (site engineering) and not design or consultancy. Is it possible for me still to get chartered?
Yes, absolutely possible. It's not nessessary to have been in design or consultancy to achieve chartership.
Thanks from:
19-01-2021, 19:31   #387
roadmaster

Sorry for going slightly of topic but with brexit is Chartership with the CIOB & CABE still recognised in Ireland/EU
27-01-2021, 10:56   #388
Outkast_IRE

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadmaster View Post
Sorry for going slightly of topic but with brexit is Chartership with the CIOB & CABE still recognised in Ireland/EU
Highly likely they are , but most have released a press release on their website to confirm it, if not check in with their membership team.

I am hoping to go for CIBSE chartership later this year and their agreement stands for mutual recognition.
Thanks from:
26-02-2021, 22:01   #389
godtabh

Any one signed up to be an assessor?
26-02-2021, 22:43   #390
poteen

Quote:
Originally Posted by godtabh View Post
Any one signed up to be an assessor?
Do you sign up or do you have to be asked ?

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion