11-01-2015, 19:54   #241
Long Gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by godtabh View Post
A month is more than enough time if you put your mind to it
A month ? ! ! - A week should be more than enough. You're not writing War and Peace....
Advertisement
11-01-2015, 22:16   #242
godtabh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Long Gone View Post
A month ? ! ! - A week should be more than enough. You're not writing War and Peace....
Yeah but you do need to get signatories which can take a while
12-01-2015, 17:27   #243
Dónal
Gravity is a harsh mistress

Quote:
Yeah but you do need to get signatories which can take a while
Yup, especially if your signatories/initialisers (hey a new word!) are based in other companies or in my case on the other side of the planet. Line them up early.
Thanks from:
16-01-2015, 01:13   #244
BlackEdelweiss

If I were to get chartered status in New Zealand as a fire engineer would that mean anything if I return to Ireland? Apart from looking good on an application.
17-01-2015, 10:40   #245
godtabh

it is possible to transfer but best check with EI
Advertisement
17-01-2015, 11:12   #246
Shy Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackEdelweiss View Post
If I were to get chartered status in New Zealand as a fire engineer would that mean anything if I return to Ireland? Apart from looking good on an application.
I think it depends on the industry. I don't know how your own industry reflects upon chartership, but I think its becoming more appreciated in Ireland across different engineering professions as more and more people apply for it. This thread is testament to the growth in its popularity.
That said, its employees that are applying for chartership and their employers may not understand what it represents. That was the case for me.
I work in mechanical design and there's little to no appreciation of CEng status in my area. When I tried explaining it to my boss one day I was met with a confused look, but he was happy as long as it wasn't costing him anything.

This is just my opinion, but it may better to remain chartered with an institution associated in your field such as the Institution of Fire Engineers (assuming you intend to remain in that field). The Irish branch of IFE doesn't mention chartership status, but the British one does and you could probably transfer through them.
22-01-2015, 21:16   #247
alias no.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael D Not Higgins View Post
I'm going for Chartership next year, and my bosses are pushing to go for the January deadline. What I'd like to know is how strict they are on CPD times. I have plenty spread out over the last 6 years but don't meet the 5 days per annum for the last two years, or the suggested 3 days per annum on the training courses/postgrad courses. By the time I apply I'm likely to meet the 5 days for the last year, and 2 of the 3 for training courses (maybe 3 days), but not for the year before that. Will this hurt my application?
CPD can include everything from self directed reading / research to accredited postgraduate programmes and everything in between.
Keeping up to date with relevant standards or new technologies in your field is CPD, it doesn't have to be formal training.
23-01-2015, 12:09   #248
godtabh

Quote:
Originally Posted by alias no.9 View Post
CPD can include everything from self directed reading / research to accredited postgraduate programmes and everything in between.
Keeping up to date with relevant standards or new technologies in your field is CPD, it doesn't have to be formal training.
It can but how much you can claim of each is limited i.e. you cant claim 10 days of structured reading as qualifying cpd.
23-01-2015, 18:06   #249
alias no.9

Quote:
It can but how much you can claim of each is limited i.e. you cant claim 10 days of structured reading as qualifying cpd.
You can claim as much as you've legitimately done. If it seems excessive time for a particular topic, you might get a bit of questioning on it, similarly if the relevance is in doubt.

If you can stand over the time spent, the motives for doing it, which can be to support future ambitions rather than current role, and maybe get into a little technical depth on the topic(s) then there shouldn't be a problem.
Advertisement
23-01-2015, 21:22   #250
godtabh

Quote:
Originally Posted by alias no.9 View Post
You can claim as much as you've legitimately done. If it seems excessive time for a particular topic, you might get a bit of questioning on it, similarly if the relevance is in doubt.

If you can stand over the time spent, the motives for doing it, which can be to support future ambitions rather than current role, and maybe get into a little technical depth on the topic(s) then there shouldn't be a problem.
Read the engineers documentation

https://www.engineersireland.ie/Engi...-Credits_2.pdf
24-01-2015, 16:29   #251
alias no.9

Quote:
That's pretty clear. I was basing my comments on a conversation in EI about upcoming requirements for CEng title holders to record their CPD and the guidance was to just record everything, most people will comfortably exceed the guidelines by documenting what they're already doing.
21-04-2015, 17:21   #252
kierc2014

Hi, I am thinking about applying to become chartered in the next while, I was talking to EI and I need to get my CPD hours up first, so it will be next year before I apply. But besides that I see the criterion 1 Design........ that may be a slight problem for me as I am a site based engineer with a civil company. Is there a way around this or anyone else in the same position?

Also thinking about doing courses to improve my further learning besides CPD, has anyone done this?

Any advice / opinions would be great.
22-04-2015, 15:47   #253
godtabh

You don't have to be a designer to be come a chartered engineering.
Thanks from:
22-04-2015, 18:29   #254
kierc2014

I know that but I honestly dont know what I could write for that. I can make up something but I really dont want to cos if i get quizzed and caught out that will be that.
24-04-2015, 13:52   #255
Alkers

Send a message via MSN to Alkers
Quote:
You don't have to be a designer to be come a chartered engineering.
The new guidelines (even for phase 1) are very much written in that way.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion