Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

N22 - Macroom to Ballyvourney (Macroom Bypass) [open to traffic]

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

Aug2009 wrote: »
    When will we ever learn in Ireland that if yo9u build it they will come!!!

Nope you're wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Aug2009

Perhaps it should be if you are not bothered to build it they will stop coming.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Aidan1 wrote: »
    Careful with the editing there Ted - it's probably more likely that the NPWS pointed out that moving slugs is not exactly within the realms of the possible. It's a bit like me 'admitting' that I don't have a plan for what I'll do when Liv Tyler asks me to marry her. In other words, I wouldn't worry unduly about Mr Sweetman's grandstanding, <snip>

Anyways, sure all the Kerry slugs will be off to Killarney on June 6th for the Cork game. Problem solved.

Absolutely classic post - love it! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭irishshadowfax

Hi all- Any more updates on this? Last I seen on it was this article posted on 04/08/10 by Batt O’Keeffe on http://www.fiannafail.ie/news/entry/4999/

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭black47

Hi all- Any more updates on this? Last I seen on it was this article posted on 04/08/10 by Batt O’Keeffe on http://www.fiannafail.ie/news/entry/4999/
    Nothing to happen in the short term by the looks of things. All part of the Cork plot to prevent the Kerry boys from commuting daily and taking the money and the women back over the border.....

• Advertisement

Latest Update from local Councillor:

"Off hand I can tell you that the Bord are currently examining the file. After the oral hearing last summer a date in SEptember was set for their decision. That was a bit early considering the same inspector went from MAcroom to the oral hearing on the Mallow road adn was doing two big jobs at the same time. The decision date has been moved again before Christmas and its now set at Feb 8th. By then the Board are to make a decision or seek further time to consider the report. It could move again, its entirley up to the Bord and they have moved it twice allready.
    The next milestone on the journey is an Bord Pleanala decision (hopefully 8th Feb). Where they approve the planning, the land purchase can then begin. The purchase process on other roads has taken over a year adn the bulk of funding isn't needed until concluding the deals. Land purchase is a very strong comettment and cunstruction has oftin followed quickly.
    At the same time in Baile Mhuirne there are works underway on the resurfacing of the village. This work is seperate from the MAcroom Bypass and follows a long time pressing tehm since the sewer works were done a number of years ago. These works are expected to take up to 12 weeks adn will involve laying a watermain as well as resurfacing the road. Due to the poor weather they were delayed starting and seem to be making good progress now.
    I hope this gives you an overview of where things stand at the moment. I will be continuing to press for a speedy progress on the MAcroom bypass and if you have any further question let me know.
    "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Teddy455

Latest Update from local Councillor:

"Off hand I can tell you that the Bord are currently examining the file. After the oral hearing last summer a date in SEptember was set for their decision. That was a bit early considering the same inspector went from MAcroom to the oral hearing on the Mallow road adn was doing two big jobs at the same time. The decision date has been moved again before Christmas and its now set at Feb 8th. By then the Board are to make a decision or seek further time to consider the report. It could move again, its entirley up to the Bord and they have moved it twice allready.
    The next milestone on the journey is an Bord Pleanala decision (hopefully 8th Feb). Where they approve the planning, the land purchase can then begin. The purchase process on other roads has taken over a year adn the bulk of funding isn't needed until concluding the deals. Land purchase is a very strong comettment and cunstruction has oftin followed quickly.
    At the same time in Baile Mhuirne there are works underway on the resurfacing of the village. This work is seperate from the MAcroom Bypass and follows a long time pressing tehm since the sewer works were done a number of years ago. These works are expected to take up to 12 weeks adn will involve laying a watermain as well as resurfacing the road. Due to the poor weather they were delayed starting and seem to be making good progress now.
    I hope this gives you an overview of where things stand at the moment. I will be continuing to press for a speedy progress on the MAcroom bypass and if you have any further question let me know.
    "

Can you please imform me who this councillor is?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Please for the love of god tell me that isnt a copy/paste. The spelling/grammar/capital letters are absolutely abysmal.

I'd prefer not to say who the local councillor was. I have to say I was very impressed after I had wrote several public figures in the area and candidates running for Cork NW in the coming election, this person was back to me in 5 minutes with an honest reply. It was refreshing not to receive the usual 'auto-reply' bull**** email. Yep - It was a copy and paste but I did get the reply very fast...

I also got this reply from a CCC Engineer:

"You are correct in that the matter currently resides with An Bord Pleanala awaiting a decision to proceed to the next stage , which is assuming approval proceed to compulsory purchase of lands required for the scheme . However the time frame for An Bord’s approval ( or other decision )is entirely a matter for An Bord The further steps in the scheme are then subject to Government finance being available and as things stand this scheme is not listed in The National 4 year recovery plan issued in 2010"

This does not sound positive. However, I think this is an important window to raise this issue to let future TD's know much this bypass is needed and how much support there is for it; Pull the finger out people...!

IS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

This scheme was specifically mentioned in the Four-Year Plan, if not listed. The four year plan states that this can enter construction between now and 2015 if monies are available.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Tremelo wrote: »
    This scheme was specifically mentioned in the Four-Year Plan, if not listed. The four year plan states that this can enter construction between now and 2015 if monies are available.
    Furet, can you point me in the direction of this plan? I'd like to see the list.

spacetweek wrote: »
    Furet, can you point me in the direction of this plan? I'd like to see the list.

It's here. What I've linked you to is the Dept of Transport's press release on the Four-Year Plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

It sounds like this has been given approval by an Bord Pleanála they are talking about it at the moment on RnaG

Seems the locals are complaining that it will lead to job losses, mainly as 80% of trade is from passing traffic in Baile Bhuirne (Ballyvourney). Of course if you ask me it actually would probably make the village more attractive as you remove all the heavy traffic. One only has to look at any other village that was bypass say on the M6 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Typical Rubbish tbh, Ballyvourney has been in need of a bypass for a long time. Its a similar story in Macroom tbh, certain people are still totally against the idea of a bypass for the same reasons they mention in Ballyvourney. As someone who lives in this area, i can safely say that Macroom would have had a bypass ten years ago if certain people hadn't had their way. Macroom is definitely one of the worst bottlenecks in the South of the country. Just try driving for Cork to Killarney on a Friday evening to see that

Even if this one somehow manages to get funding for its construction (and I don't think it should be prioritised above other more worthy schemes nationally), I've heard in bar rooms that the local ''alternative lifestyle'' folks are ready to fight this Glen of the Downs style. Not sure if accurate but it wouldn't surprise me knowing that part of the worlds crusty population.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

The locals in Baile Bhúirne are complaining ...and will likely continue to do so from 12pm onwards on RnaG. Nobody else is though. The existing road is bloody horrible, and bloody dangerous. Reminds me of seriously grot road sections of yore like Kinnegad - Milltownpass or Cappataggle- Aughrim and the road around Millinavat in Waterford....substandard 50 years ago.

Some changes were made to the western end of this scheme and relevant documentos will appear here sometime

http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/HA0025.htm

Sponge Bob wrote: »

It would be nice if an Bord Pleanála would use proper Unicode encoding on their website. Page is set to charset=UTF-8 (as is my browser)

bp-unicode.PNG

Looks fine in mine bar their own typos :) What happens when you lang = ga instead of lang = en ??

Clickypoos to see.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Looks fine in mine bar their own typos :) What happens when you lang = ga instead of lang = en ??

Clickypoos to see.

Works fine by default on the lang=ga page. Strange when I then load the english page the fada's are working, however it alternates when I hit Ctrl-F5. See this in both IE8 and Firefox4 -- strange :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

Even if this one somehow manages to get funding for its construction (and I don't think it should be prioritised above other more worthy schemes nationally), I've heard in bar rooms that the local ''alternative lifestyle'' folks are ready to fight this Glen of the Downs style. Not sure if accurate but it wouldn't surprise me knowing that part of the worlds crusty population.

What schemes would these be? I mean in the case of the M20 the current road is somewhat comparable...but the 7km winding section of narrow S2 roadway outside Ballyvourney is absolutely shockingly bad. It is terrible, quite possibly the worst section of national primary road in the country. And the road surface in Ballyvourney (think it was resurfaced recently however) was so shocking that the locals put up signs saying "National Pothole Route" and "NRA = No Real Action." There were also a few signs in Irish but they don't come to mind. In addition, Macroom is choked with traffic. There is a very prominent sign outside Macroom saying "Macroom needs a bypass." It's now several years old. The streets in the town are too narrow in places for two vehicles to park, with plenty on-street parking. This is a well worthy scheme and should absolutely be prioritised.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭tinner777

funny that, the last large protest down here, when they where going to block the road, was about the state of the road and the bypass..
    The recent work is a joke

Adro947 wrote: »
    What schemes would these be? I mean in the case of the M20 the current road is somewhat comparable...but the 7km winding section of narrow S2 roadway outside Ballyvourney is absolutely shockingly bad...

What road schemes I think should be prioritised with the likelihood of little funding being allocated to big ticket national projects in the years to come is for another thread really. Suffice to say i know all too well myself the state of the N22 and the Macroom bottleneck, but this N22 project is one of the many,many worthy projects on the NRAs to do list. Not many of them will get funding in the years to come and i don't think there is a pressing case for this one to be expediated.
    tinner777 wrote: »
    funny that, the last large protest down here, when they where going to block the road, was about the state of the road and the bypass..
    The recent work is a joke

For my money, if the NRA could magic up on the cheap plans for a Macroom bypass, even just of the S2 variety, in tandem with some remedial works around Baile Bhuirne then i think the N22 this side of Kerry is sorted in the medium term.

PROTECTED slugs which forced the redesign of a €200 million bypass are to be moved from certain areas along the route after An Bord Pleanála gave the road project the green light.

The board noted several environmental, historic and cultural concerns relating to the proposed Macroom bypass on the Cork to Kerry road. But it went against its inspector’s report and said it should go ahead for several reasons, including:

n the severe traffic congestion in Macroom;

nthe seriously substandard condition of much of the N22 between Macroom and Baile Bhúirne;

nthe negative impact of excessive through-traffic on the commercial, social and environmental conditions and road safety in Macroom, and the villages of Baile Mhic Íre and Baile Bhúirne;

n and the grant by the National Parks and Wildlife Service of a Derogation Licence under the Habitats Regulations in respect of the Kerry Slug.

The board attached conditions to granting permission, including the appointment of experts to "identify, create and manage a suitable receiving environment for the long-term translocation of the Kerry Slug".

Bats will also get special flyovers on the bypass’s underpasses and bridges.

The discovery of the protected slug in Cascade Wood near Ballyvourney forced the redesign of a section of the bypass.

Historians then warned that the bypass would destroy the site of one of the biggest War of Independence ambushes.

But pro-bypass campaigners took to the streets of Macroom during summer months when traffic congestion is at its worst to lobby in support of the bypass.

An oral hearing was held last summer and in its ruling yesterday, the Bórd said the bypass would not have a significant effect on the area.

The positive impacts would outweigh the negative socio-economic impacts of removing through traffic from towns and villages on its route, it said.

It has now directed that a survey be undertaken to map historic and cultural sites, including War of Independence and Civil War sites, along the route.

These maps will be made available for public display.

The board also noted that the inspector did not recommend refusal because of the road’s possible impacts on Carrigaphooca Castle and the nearby stone circle the impacts on the Civil War monument at Carrigaphooca, the impacts on the War of Independence ambush site at Cúil na Cathrach, and the impacts on the protected Carrigaphooca House.

Local Cllr Aindrias Moynihan welcomed the decision.

"This could provide lots of local jobs which would greatly benefit the Macroom region. It’s up to the Government now to prioritise funding and to see that this project goes ahead," he said.
    Read more: http://www.examiner.ie/ireland/slugs-on-the-move-as-bypass-sanctioned-151229.html#ixzz1JOjjOoOK

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭AugustusMinimus

For my money, if the NRA could magic up on the cheap plans for a Macroom bypass, even just of the S2 variety, in tandem with some remedial works around Baile Bhuirne then i think the N22 this side of Kerry is sorted in the medium term.

Traffic justifies dual carriageway from Ballincollig to the far side of Macroom. S2 from then on till the far side of Ballyvourney which is high quality road anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭imangry29

Good to see the Board approved full Type 2 dual carriageway as proposed from W of Ballyvourney to east of Macroom. A judgement of total sanity compared with the crazy logic of the Inspector who thought a dual carriageway bypassing Macroom should siphon traffic travelling ~100km/hr into the meandering dangerous road on to and through Ballyv/Ballym. On safety grounds alone, the Inspector's report was DAFT. At least the Board had the common sense to ask the question about future traffic requirements, not the AADT of today. Now just to find the €213m to build it, political support seems hard to find tho. Assuming 10 year FG-Lab mix, 2 govt TDs in Cork North West (if only Michael Creed had backed Enda...), but after that we're unlikely to find much support. Varadkar has no insight in to the needs for this road. Coveney will be too pressed on the N25 flyovers, N25/N8 Dunkettle, N28 Ringaskiddy and NRR. Deenihan will be too busy opening the Tralee bypass and getting N21 to Limerick bypasses back on track (he has to bring in a 2nd seat in 2016). So despite the huge govt majority, do we really see this getting attention? hate to be pessimistic about it, but i was far too optimistic for far too long

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭imangry29

The judicial review for the N22 macroom ballyvourney scheme goes ahead 10th July 2012. Assuming it gets the green light, is it not the most logical scheme in the country to get the go ahead (whenever we do build new roads again)? all other major schemes nationally have been suspended far earlier in their planning stages. Route with enormous tourism potential, badly needed access for Kerry, could the macroom bypass bit go ahead first to reduce the price tag? Special plea to our troika chums? I clutch at straws for this! Imagine cork-Kerry with n40 flyovers and macroom bypass built. One can dream :)

imangry29 wrote: »
    The judicial review for the N22 macroom ballyvourney scheme goes ahead 10th July 2012. Assuming it gets the green light, is it not the most logical scheme in the country to get the go ahead (whenever we do build new roads again)? all other major schemes nationally have been suspended far earlier in their planning stages. Route with enormous tourism potential, badly needed access for Kerry, could the macroom bypass bit go ahead first to reduce the price tag? Special plea to our troika chums? I clutch at straws for this! Imagine cork-Kerry with n40 flyovers and macroom bypass built. One can dream :)

Sadly, logic doesn't seem to come into it. For example, the N28 and Cork North Ring Road are short-length, high-impact projects, but are suspended.

• Advertisement

Sweetman will be one of the 'witnesses' in the Judicial Review which is being lead by one Eileen Stack Shanahan who lives near the Macroom Bypass route.

Advertisement