Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Really bright star in the sky - South East direction

• 10-01-2021 2:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi all,
    Just wondering if anybody can tell me what is the really bright star in the sky that I've been really noticing lately in the South-East sky. I notice it from my window most of the nite when the sky is clear and it seems to stay in same position, unlike moon it doesn't move at all and its way brighter than anything else
    i am in Lucan area

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,292 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Nothing can remain still in the SE sky, the Earth’s rotation means that it will gradually rise until it reaches maximum altitude (for that night) when due S and then it will descend into the SW and set.

Sirius is visible in the SE early in the evening nowadays but it doesn’t stay still. Are you seeing Mars soon after sunset? It’s currently due S at about 7 p.m. The only star that stays in the same place in the sky is Polaris, the (north) pole star. But that’s due north, always.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

As the above poster said, it's likely Mars or Sirius. Mars is bright with a slightly orange hue and does not twinkle but it moves across the sky quicker than stars. Sirius is bright and it's twinkle can be intense, almost flashing between red, white, and blue. If you know how to identify the constellation Orion, Sirius is always close to the bottom left star (Saiph) (is that what you mean by it stays in the same position unlike the moon?).

• Registered Users Posts: 21 accord2001

anacc wrote: »
    As the above poster said, it's likely Mars or Sirius. Mars is bright with a slightly orange hue and does not twinkle but it moves across the sky quicker than stars. Sirius is bright and it's twinkle can be intense, almost flashing between red, white, and blue. If you know how to identify the constellation Orion, Sirius is always close to the bottom left star (Saiph) (is that what you mean by it stays in the same position unlike the moon?).

Picture taken at 19:07 this bright star can be seen already since there’s still light in the sky

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

accord2001 wrote: »
    Picture taken at 19:07 this bright star can be seen already since there’s still light in the sky

Sirius probably. It's the brightest star in the night sky.

Impossible to tell from a grainy photo and nothing else in the photo to use for a sense of positioning, but if it’s a bright star in the south early in the evening then it’s almost certainly Sirius. Right now at half ten it’s about 218deg SW. It’s a clear night and Orion is clearly visible (in Cork at least) so if you can identify Orion you should be able to see Sirius to the bottom left of it.

Try downloading SkyView or Night Sky on your phone to help you identify it.

• Advertisement

anacc wrote: »
    Impossible to tell from a grainy photo and nothing else in the photo to use for a sense of positioning, but if it’s a bright star in the south early in the evening then it’s almost certainly Sirius. Right now at half ten it’s about 218deg SW. It’s a clear night and Orion is clearly visible (in Cork at least) so if you can identify Orion you should be able to see Sirius to the bottom left of it.

Try downloading SkyView or Night Sky on your phone to help you identify it.
    Sirius it is,thanks so much for ur professional answers for my unprofessional question

Sirius it is,thanks so much for ur professional answers for my unprofessional question

You’re very welcome, and there’s nothing professional or unprofessional about it :) just enjoy looking at the sky at night!

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Stan27

Youll know if its sirius is its close to orions belt (really easy to find)

Stan27 wrote: »
    Youll know if its sirius is its close to orions belt (really easy to find)

Yep the SkyView app confirmed it is, so amazing it also tells me live location of iss, Venus, Mars, Jupiter etc

Yep the SkyView app confirmed it is, so amazing it also tells me live location of iss, Venus, Mars, Jupiter etc

Ye its great !!!
    Also little fun fact, the largest knowstar vy canis majoris is just under sirius.
    The star is so big, if it was our sun it would go out to jupiter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

on the subject of apps..which free one is the best?

fryup wrote: »
    on the subject of apps..which free one is the best?

Skyview free

Advertisement