Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Android Tablet 9.7 High Res Retina screen - 150 delivered

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭PCDub

Got refunded for lost tablet and reordered from Poland warehouse which turned up yesterday. Overall a decent tab, fast enough for browsing and media. Screen could be a little brighter but good enough. SIM cards not working like all the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

Picked it up after dithering about since originally posted. :rolleyes:

Used code: PICODIAU

Sub Total: EUR 168.98
    Shipping Cost: EUR 15.87
    Grand Total: EUR 176.40

Shipping from Poland, very fast progress according to the tracking email.
    Will get here in 3 days by the looks of it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

Doodlebug wrote: »
    Picked it up after dithering about since originally posted. :rolleyes:

Used code: PICODIAU

Sub Total: EUR 168.98
    Shipping Cost: EUR 15.87
    Grand Total: EUR 176.40

Shipping from Poland, very fast progress according to the tracking email.
    Will get here in 3 days by the looks of it. :)

Just worth noting that that code is actually increasing the price, from 160 to 169. Having said that, I only see DPD shipping, for 1.90, so not sure if we are talking about the same thing at this stage of the thread. Just going to the link in the OP, the total price shipped is 161.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

Good spot - yeah, it's the same product, but the browser redirected to the US site then back to EU - don't know if that affected the process?

Although as it turns out, the expedited shipping is what I needed anyway, so all's well that ends well. :pac:

PCDub wrote: »
    Got refunded for lost tablet and reordered from Poland warehouse which turned up yesterday. Overall a decent tab, fast enough for browsing and media. Screen could be a little brighter but good enough. SIM cards not working like all the others.

yes it's a solid enough tablet with decent ram and storage space.

the screen isn't as good as the specs suggested initially but it's still decent. I don't think that the screen is fully laminated as was thought originally and I find the colours a bit saturated even with messing with the settings.

cpu power is enough for most.

battery life is reasonable at 7 hours or so.

for 150 euro it's pretty good compared to what you get in a B&M shop in Ireland tho

still no sign of dedicated tablet cases which is a bit strange.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,028 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

glasso wrote: »

the screen isn't as good as the specs suggested initially but it's still decent. I don't think that the screen is fully laminated as was thought originally and I find the colours a bit saturated even with messing with the settings.

for 150 euro it's pretty good compared to what you get in a B&M shop in Ireland tho

Interested in this but want a good screen and strong cpu and RAM for running home automation user interface. What would be next tier up in 250-300 bracket?

Defo an air gapped screen and a fairly big gap at that. For in door use it’s bright enough even though you end up pushing brightness to 80%+. Good enough for the money and if we can get SIM cards working it’ll be a steal.

PCDub wrote: »
    Defo an air gapped screen and a fairly big gap at that. For in door use it’s bright enough even though you end up pushing brightness to 80%+. Good enough for the money and if we can get SIM cards working it’ll be a steal.

well even the current apple ipad base model isn't fully laminated either!

and as you said it's fine for indoor use.

still surprised the techtablets guy got it wrong (said that it appeared fully laminated) - then again he didn't have one in hand.

still have no idea why sim cards are not detected. seems to be working from reviews on sites of other purchasers.
    most people won't have a use for it (wifi or share data from phone) but still...
    unless it's location blocked but see no reason why it should be....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Could you use Microsoft office on this tablet?

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Could you use Microsoft office on this tablet?

yes. but the android apps are cut-down versions of the full windows applications

https://www.howtogeek.com/334597/whats-the-difference-between-microsoft-offices-desktop-web-and-mobile-apps/

• Advertisement

SIM card working now and getting 4g. All i did was clear data from simcard toolkit app and restarted tablet.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭ImARebel

Interested in this but want a good screen and strong cpu and RAM for running home automation user interface. What would be next tier up in 250-300 bracket?

You could take a look at the mipad 4, I got one recently from honorbuy. Great tablet for the money

ImARebel wrote: »
    You could take a look at the mipad 4, I got one recently from honorbuy. Great tablet for the money

yes the mi pad 4 is a superior tablet in terms of cpu (snapdragon 660), buld quality, screen brightness (and tho only 1080p a better screen imo as fully lmainated) and battery life. best price/quality tablet out there imo.

the mi pad 4 is 8 inch - 10/11 hour battery life - no GPS
    the mi pad 4 plus is 9.7 inch - 15 hour battery life - has LTE and GPS

honorbuy best option to buy

doesn't have the widevine level 1 drm for full hd netflix, prime but few tablets have this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

glasso wrote:
    the mi pad 4 is 8 inch - 10/11 hour battery life - no GPS the mi pad 4 plus is 9.7 inch - 15 hour battery life - has LTE and GPS

Does this run on the mi software?

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭chonix

Just found out this website super useful as it might help a bit on decisions to choose your tablet (budget, cores, etc)
    https://www.kimovil.com/en/tablets

august12 wrote: »
    Does this run on the mi software?

yes. the mi gestures are actually very good if you enable them.

update to pie in the next month or so

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

glasso wrote:
    yes. the mi gestures are actually very good if you enable them.

Is the playstore pre installed on the mi4, I have a Xiaomi phone and had to load the playstore APK on it, it's a bit of a pain to be honest, have just updated to a new Xiaomi mobile but this has pure android with no loaded garbage, much prefer it to the original one, it was also painful trying to transfer all my data to the new one, but the mi pad sounds like a nice piece of kit and I really only want it for basic browsing and video watching etc.

august12 wrote: »
    Is the playstore pre installed on the mi4, .

It was on the one I got from honorbuy, handy as I didn't want all that messing myself

ImARebel wrote: »
    It was on the one I got from honorbuy, handy as I didn't want all that messing myself

Depends on where you get it play store there or not.

Very easy to put on Thu tho.

Few minutes.

Depends on where you get it play store there or not.

this is the one I got - it came with playstore on it

https://www.honorbuy.com/1469-xiaomi-mi-pad-4-64gb-tablet-black.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭6541

Folk's 1 day left to pull the trigger on this - I need a tablet, so help me, a quick yes or no on this ?

6541 wrote: »
    Folk's 1 day left to pull the trigger on this - I need a tablet, so help me, a quick yes or no on this ?

this being the mipad or the original one mentioned on this thread?

6541 wrote: »

think that he means the original one

pros -
    good ram and storage
    cpu is decent enough
    good size for reading books/ newspapers

cons-
    aspect ratio of screen will give you a letterbox effect on video (black at top and bottom)
    screen is not fully laminated (gap between screen and glass which means that there can be a reflection especially if outside)
    speaker is not great

neutral
    battery life of 7 hours is OK

this one for 20 more has a better aspect ratio and fully laminated screen (no air gap) that is brighter and better battery life (8-10 hours). similar specs otherwise.
    https://www.geekbuying.com/item/Teclast-T10-Tablet-4GB-64GB-White-Silver-391944.html

also has mini hdmi out to connect to a tv if you wanted to play a video etc.

(only in stock in Germany)

the huawei mediapad in bargain alerts is a good option also.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Argo foc yourself

Thanks for that. I went ahead and bought the Lenovo because of the screen size and it has 3gb of ram and I got a code from HUKD to make it €88.50 in total

do you have a link to this?

I'd avoid tablets with 1Gb of ram these days.
    Doesn't specify the storage capacity at all, which is a deal breaker. If it doesn't state that in the ad, I'd avoid as well.
    for most of the tablets and phones, 16Gb of storage space is really low as when you install a few apps, the storage space becomes really low.

Also, if you're looking for a reasonable price Android tablet, I'd go for one that has 2Gb of base ram, and with 32 Gb or more of storage space.
    Samsung Galaxy Tab A 2019 is a good one. You pay triple the price, but it's far more worth it. Or you can check here:
    https://www.kimovil.com/en/tablets

There are some nice tablets there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,589 ✭✭✭corks finest

Ref Lenovo,they're awful bad for updates etc,have a tablet and updates stopped dead after 16 months

P.s. battery went crap after a year now will go down to 5 pc after an hour's browsing

• Advertisement

Advertisement