Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Garda recruitment

• 22-05-2020 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

I Applied for the guards in 2018 and have every stage completed and I am still waiting to get in. Is there anyone who applied in 2018 and is still in a similar situation like myself.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Crafty_Veteran

Rich_ccfc wrote: »
    I Applied for the guards in 2018 and have every stage completed and I am still waiting to get in. Is there anyone who applied in 2018 and is still in a similar situation like myself.

I am from 2019 and still waiting.

Thats such a long wait for you. What is the hold up? Is it your vetting?

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Rich_ccfc

Anyone have an idea when the next intake will be ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭r1gskcn9p3y75o

Rich_ccfc wrote: »

Doesnt the medical called expire? Saw in another thread something about having to go back to doc again after 12 months.unsure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭ClaireMcGrath

Deano.f87 wrote: »
    Doesnt the medical called expire? Saw in another thread something about having to go back to doc again after 12 months.unsure

The medical lasts 12 months if there are no changes to your medical history (you weren't ill or injured). You may be required to undertake a medical with your local GP between 12 months and 18 months. If it goes beyond 18 months, then you will have to go for a new medical.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭granty1892

The medical lasts 12 months if there are no changes to your medical history (you weren't ill or injured). You may be required to undertake a medical with your local GP between 12 months and 18 months. If it goes beyond 18 months, then you will have to go for a new medical.

Sorry to hijack this but if I’m 35 this august am I wasting my time doing application courses if it does open up in 2021?

Thanks

• Advertisement

granty1892 wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack this but if I’m 35 this august am I wasting my time doing application courses if it does open up in 2021?

Thanks

I think its age 35 from closing date of competition so you should be ok if they have it before August. Someone on here should be able to confirm though

• Registered Users Posts: 36 lg.cardonha

Thanks

I turned 35 two weeks after the closing date. I am from 2019 campaign and I have my application approved for the next intakes.

I turned 35 two weeks after the closing date. I am from 2019 campaign and I have my application approved for the next intakes.

Happy days so if as expected they have a campaign this spring I’ll be ok to apply. Might apply for the courses so.

So I assume if successful and I’m on the waiting list for two years and am 37 I can still go for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Bangahead16

I applied aged 34 for 2019 campaign.
    Waiting on a the PCTs and medical aged 36

I applied aged 34 for 2019 campaign.
    Waiting on a the PCTs and medical aged 36

Ah deadly. Let’s hope there’s a recruitment this year so. Or all this practice on aptitude tests will be a waste of time! Ha

I know everyone asks but if you were me what would be your advice in anticipation of a recruitment drive in 2021? Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 Bangahead16

Don’t underestimate the online tests,and know your competencies ,fill out your application carefully , as they will refer to this if you make interview stages

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Ciano1997

The Garda is to introduce an internship programme to encourage minorities to experience life in the force before committing to a career.

The initiative, which will be launched towards the end of 2021, forms part of the Garda’s “Equality Diversity and Inclusion” strategy which was launched on Tuesday. - 2nd of December, taking from News the Irish times.

Also, there is also supposed to be an increase Garda reserve force up to 2,000 by 2021. Can anyone see this happen along with a Garda trainee recruitment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭St. Westy

Ah deadly. Let’s hope there’s a recruitment this year so. Or all this practice on aptitude tests will be a waste of time! Ha

I know everyone asks but if you were me what would be your advice in anticipation of a recruitment drive in 2021? Thanks

I would not go buying these courses straight away , nobody has a clue what’s going to happen , they came out and said they want 600+ new members , and there’s still probably over 800 of us waiting , nobody knows if there will be a new campaign , so if I was you I wouldn’t be buying any courses until there is something defínete ,

Them courses are dear, and the people driving them on Facebook havnt a notion if there’s going to be a new campaign they are just guessing like the rest of us,
    Any normal year there would be a new campaign, but it’s also not normal to have a backlog of 800 plus candidates aswel

If I was you I’d bide my time until more info is got

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Gadaves

intakes 193,201,202 and 203 all have to return to the college to complete training sometime this year, not sure what that will mean for further intakes this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Boxer12347

Gadaves wrote: »
    intakes 193,201,202 and 203 all have to return to the college to complete training sometime this year, not sure what that will mean for further intakes this year.

Yeah hard to see recruitment happening soon. No sign of college opening soon. They’ll prioritise the intakes they have at the minute then look for new recruits

Boxer12347 wrote: »
    Yeah hard to see recruitment happening soon. No sign of college opening soon. They’ll prioritise the intakes they have at the minute then look for new recruits

I don't think they can approach recruitment like that, given how long a campaign takes. Recruitment Campaigns will still need to open to fill future need.

Can't find themselves in a situation where they eventually get those waiting through, and then need to wait a full year for a campaign to produce new applicants for intake.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Boxer12347

Zux wrote: »
    I don't think they can approach recruitment like that, given how long a campaign takes. Recruitment Campaigns will still need to open to fill future need.

Can't find themselves in a situation where they eventually get those waiting through, and then need to wait a full year for a campaign to produce new applicants for intake.

Yeah they could open a campaign, however the intakes they have now will get priority before recruiting a new batch. They need to get those through the college first

Boxer12347 wrote: »
    Yeah they could open a campaign, however the intakes they have now will get priority before recruiting a new batch. They need to get those through the college first

That is beyond question, agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭St. Westy

That is beyond question, agreed.

Can’t understand how the prison service and fire service and other services can continue recruiting , and absolutely nothing from AGS

St. Westy wrote: »
    Can’t understand how the prison service and fire service and other services can continue recruiting , and absolutely nothing from AGS

Yea that is lost on me too man, makes zero sense, the need was never greater like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 danb1707

Currently in final year of secondary, Is it best to have a degree due to competition? or will a further education level 5 be enough? I have 2 languages already. How hard is it to get accepted? The course I am looking at doing is policing & security for 1 year after school. Also around what months do they usually open up for recruitment?

Hi, Do you know if the online courses that cost around €120 are any good and higher your chances in being accepted? Also Do you know if any decent aptitude test that may be similar ones? Sorry for all the questions

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

danb1707 wrote: »
    Currently in final year of secondary, Is it best to have a degree due to competition? or will a further education level 5 be enough? I have 2 languages already. How hard is it to get accepted? The course I am looking at doing is policing & security for 1 year after school. Also around what months do they usually open up for recruitment?

Its not a requirement to have a degree but it would bring the benefit of jumping up a few pay grades after probation and give you options possibly to progress to other roles

The process seems to take 1/2 years to get through at the moment so prepare for the wait, lot of hoops to jump through like physical medical and vetting which takes months

Your young you have time ahead of you
    If I were you I'd get the degree and travel live life a bit
    And then apply

Ciano1997 wrote: »
    The Garda is to introduce an internship programme to encourage minorities to experience life in the force before committing to a career.

The initiative, which will be launched towards the end of 2021, forms part of the Garda’s “Equality Diversity and Inclusion” strategy which was launched on Tuesday. - 2nd of December, taking from News the Irish times.

Also, there is also supposed to be an increase Garda reserve force up to 2,000 by 2021. Can anyone see this happen along with a Garda trainee recruitment?

I have been told I have a slight advantage in joining the Guards because of my ethnicity, I know a degree is not a requirement but a lot people have said that it highers your chances, I really want to avoid going to University for 4 years, Do you think if I do a 1 year course on policing & security I would be okay or at least have a chance?

I have been told I have a slight advantage in joining the Guards because of my ethnicity, I know a degree is not a requirement but a lot people have said that it highers your chances, I really want to avoid going to University for 4 years, Do you think if I do a 1 year course on policing & security I would be okay or at least have a chance?

You absolutely will have a chance, but my advice would be to bear in mind you will be lacking the education / life experience many applicants are bringing to the table, and have means in mind to counteract that. For example, having worked with with your local community is always looked upon favorably.

As is with all such merit/criteria, typically the more the better, be that your education, life experiences, voluntary work, etc. Your goal is to demonstrate you are the right type of person for the job, if you can do that, the panel wont care whether you had 1 or 4 years in college.

Canyon86 wrote: »
    Its not a requirement to have a degree but it would bring the benefit of jumping up a few pay grades after probation and give you options possibly to progress to other roles

The process seems to take 1/2 years to get through at the moment so prepare for the wait, lot of hoops to jump through like physical medical and vetting which takes months

Your young you have time ahead of you
    If I were you I'd get the degree and travel live life a bit
    And then apply

Out of curiosity, what way does it work with the pay scale and having a degree? I can't seem find information on this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Omega28

Any idea when the next recruitment campaign begins?

Omega28 wrote: »
    Any idea when the next recruitment campaign begins?

We don't have any indication regarding when at present I'm afraid.

We don't have any indication regarding when at present I'm afraid.
    Helooo, Wondering if anyone knows the reason (if any) on the uniforms of regular gardai, some have the blue stab vests and I’ve seen other in the same area having the yellow/high vis stab vest, Does the difference mean something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,421 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Helooo, Wondering if anyone knows the reason (if any) on the uniforms of regular gardai, some have the blue stab vests and I’ve seen other in the same area having the yellow/high vis stab vest, Does the difference mean something?

No difference, some just prefer the blue.

Strictly speaking it should be the yellow cover.

Advertisement