Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

collecting - the idea??

• 13-03-2002 11:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭

I wonder if this is the appropriate forum for this thread :p

Over the course of my life, I have made half-hearted attempts at collecting stamps and coins. Now having given up on these as a rather antiquated means of distraction (all I now seem to collect are bills!) I wonder what possessed me to scrounge together worthless trinkets that seemed to have no value except that attached to sentiment alone.

Is the idea to collect a mere hoarders' instinct, a throwback to the hunter-gatherer man of yesteryear? Barter has now become a somewhat outdated method of trade (one would think :) ) and so the idea of collecting in order to trade/make financial gain has also become defunct, with the exception of items expected to increase in value in the future, such as a valuable painting or item of historic merit.

This opinion does not relate to collecting such items that are used/reused from time to time, such as videos/posters/books etc. I am referring to items that appear to have little or no economic value or merit (such as the aforementioned stamps/coins).

Is it merely the pull of nostalgia - a very powerful emotion - which persuades us to hang on to these trinkets, or is there another overriding factor at work here?

Opinions??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

i think its just that manly urge to "Have it all!", i have the best!

bomB

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

Save a memory?
    Greed?
    Fanancial gain?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭Khynareth

Passion.
    When you like something you want it. When you have it you're (somehow happy). I love books. I have read nearly all the ones I have, but I always buy them faster than I have time to read.
    Even when I can't read, it's a pleasure to have them there for me.
    Just like an old friend you haven't seen in a while and take time to re-discover.
    You know they bring you pleasure.
    Collecting is pleasure driven, I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 972 ✭✭✭havok*

Originally posted by Khynareth
    Passion.
    When you like something you want it. When you have it you're (somehow happy). I love books. I have read nearly all the ones I have, but I always buy them faster than I have time to read.
    Even when I can't read, it's a pleasure to have them there for me.
    Just like an old friend you haven't seen in a while and take time to re-discover.
    You know they bring you pleasure.
    Collecting is pleasure driven, I think.

Definitely,

I used to collect coins when i was younger. I still have hundreds of foregin and old (world war and pre world war) coins. I also have some genuine millatary gear dating back to WW2 (just a phase:)) Starting getting back into comics when i was working last year, but as i'm i pennyless student again i dont have the dosh. I normally collect comics for there artwork first and foremost (and try not to paw them to much) ,if the storyline is good its a bonus.
    None of which where ever planned for fanancial gain.

Now that i think of it i also used to tape all the Formula one races (have over 3 years of f1 reaces on tape) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Irish_Ranger_IR

I am not sure why I hold on to things, I never want to throw anything away, and I never did for years, I moved out of my parents houes last year, so I left all my stuff there, from 1.5 years in Oz and 4 summers in america, loads of crap that mean the world to me, funny that, but every ticket and every flyer, plane ticket, matchbox, everything has a little story and they are my memorys and that's what is important to me to hold on to them......

• Advertisement

When I think about it, I do that too. I think keeping things and collecting stuffs is a link to reality, both to your past ans to yourself, somehow...

Now, if I look at my house I realise I am a manic collector... Carved skulls (about 20 of them), quality fountain pens, tapes, cds, books, games...

When I get into something I always want a lot of it... Mmh... Disturbing...

(Retreating inside the fortess, inside herself to face the little manic collecting monster she just discovered, hoping to tame it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Kalina

I've collected almost a thousand callcards during secondary school.
    I was attracted to the idea of collecting these because they were easy to come by (people used to just discard them in every phone-box) and some of them will be worth a fortune to me in a couple of decades time, as they are hardly being used anymore due to the increased popularity of mobile-phones.
    Maybe nostalgia has something to do with it, they're nice to have and look back at from time to time but I'm mainly in it for the money!!:p

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

I collect call cards too, I bought many of the rare ones, mine are worth loads now. :)

I also remember buying a set of "EU" callcards, were each country in the EU made its own custom callcard, and it was made into a EU pack, there was only 3,000 packs made, and Ireland got 300 of them, I bought two for £60(£30 ea), and a day later I saw it selling for £350 as a collecters item, I'd like to know how much its worth now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭azezil

weren't kellog's call cards amung the first in Ireland? i think i still have one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭apiou

I ocllect post cards - had coins but my brother decided that they would have a better home with him (I did not ask his opinion) - I have the most amazing post cards - some are 75 records - some are hand stiched - some are of places that no longer exist (ex Beirut - Not one building on my post cards of Beirut exist today) old ships such as USS Lines no longer exist. So much history in post cards - a still photo of a time gone by. Amazing -
    I also have call cards - some from different places aroudn the world and donot know what to do with them. Also a colleciton of pins that I do not want (But I am keeping the post cards)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭IRISHLILY24

A reality that I have had to face that yes, while collecting things you love is fun and some stuff has sentimental value, in the end it all gets thrown away anyway :( Because I am making this big move I went through things I held on to since elementary school and had to decide if it was important enough to lug acroos the ocean with me, and it came down to no. I threw away atleast 10 boxes worth of stuff that I thought were so important at one time, I just decided to keep the memories instead....although I couldnt bring myself to toss out my baseball card collection, of which I have over 2 thousand since junior high school :) I guess some stuff is just too hard to let go of :( not to mention that someday they will be worth handing down to my children if I have any, which is a reason for women collecting things that they do, to one day give it to thier children , or share with...anyway thats my 2 cents worth ;)

I move regularly (once every 1/2 years), I had to move country too and instead of throwing things away, I give them to people/charities.
    If you don't want it, or can't keep it, why throw things away when you can make somebody happy?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

To tell the truth i collect only for financial gain, i know it's probably not what you're expecting to hear but i don't see the point in accumlating what is essentially junk that has no use or value.

Advertisement