Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will you take an approved COVID-19 vaccine?

• 24-11-2020 2:43pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 55 ✭✭

Creating this thread because the poll on old thread is >6 months old and the main thread on vaccine progress/rollout is being diluted by arguments of people arguing over whether they would take the vaccine and anti-vaxxers.
    @mods this okay?

Will you take an approved COVID-19 Vaccine? 1839 votes

Yes
    67% 1247 votes
    Yes, but not immediately
    22% 422 votes
    No
    9% 170 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

No

• Registered Users Posts: 84,742 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Yep.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Atari Jaguar

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Tommybojangles

Gimme!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,193 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

With my age profile, I doubt I’ll be one of the first but if it means being able to get back to normal as soon as possible, absolutely I’ll be taking it once it’s deemed safe by those developing it.

I’d trust scientists with years of experience over the many folks on social media who feels it’s a conspiracy theory who constantly contradict themselves with their ramblings.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,430 ✭✭✭weisses

Yes .. definitely

Had enough of restrictions ... Need to be able to travel and see family

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclette

Yes. Absolutely.

There always had to be a first group to be part of the wider distribution of any vaccine. I'm in my late 50s. I want to be able to enjoy the rest of my life while I can. The risk of getting it is far less than the risk of not getting it.

I’d trust scientists with years of experience over the many folks on social media who feels it’s a conspiracy theory who constantly contradict themselves with their ramblings.

I did laugh to myself walking behind two people the other day. One was trying to explain to the other that Covid isn't actually a real thing, it didn't exist.

Then in the next sentence, 5G was what actually causes Covid. With no explanation, Covid suddenly existed again, but could only be caused by 5G. Chap himself had his phone clutched in his hand the entire time, of course.

Felt bad for the fella stuck listening to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 DeeperThinker

Yes...absolutely. There is no reason why not, at least not any based on hard factual science which should be what counts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I will eventually, but not at first. I'm young and healthy, certainly not in the high risk bracket.

Let the at-risk take it first, make sure they're safe, and then the rest can take it.

Personally, i'll be waiting to see if there are any effects in others before I take it. I've taken many other vaccines but those were all different in that they had been around a long time. This, being brand new, I can wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

With my age profile, I doubt I’ll be one of the first but if it means being able to get back to normal as soon as possible, absolutely I’ll be taking it once it’s deemed safe by those developing it.

x2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,931 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

I'll crawl over any of ye to be first in the queue. Can't take much more of this, no matter what the side effects are

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Jafin

MrStuffins wrote: »
    I will eventually, but not at first. I'm young and healthy, certainly not in the high risk bracket.

Let the at-risk take it first, make sure they're safe, and then the rest can take it.

Personally, i'll be waiting to see if there are any effects in others before I take it. I've taken many other vaccines but those were all different in that they had been around a long time. This, being brand new, I can wait.

Same. I'm low risk as far as I'm aware, so I'm not in a rush to get the vaccine and I'd rather know if there are any known side effects before getting the vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭nedkelly123

Yes of course

look at all the diseases that we don't have to deal with anymore because of science

Polio,Tetanus,Hepatitis B,Hepatitis A,Rubella,Hib,Measles,Whooping Cough,Pneumococcal Disease,Rotavirus,Mumps,Chickenpox etc

of course I'm sure the Alumni from the Royal College of Facebook and YouTube will disagree.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Yes...absolutely. There is no reason why not, at least not any based on hard factual science which should be what counts.

I'm not sure to be honest. I'm not anti vaccine or anything. I got plenty of vaccines in my lifetime.

Why I'm not sure is because there doesn't seem to much of a risk to me from this virus. Why would I rush to have something injected into me when its not really necessary? I'm slow to take medication in general.

Now if I was asked to do it as a solidarity thing because public health warrants it, then I may have to rethink and maybe that will sway me. But right now I'm just not sure.

Tbh I don't think anyone here can vouch for the 'hard factual science' behind it. We can choose to believe this or the other and trust our health system and their advice but to actually assess 'hard factual science' or even whether what we're told is 'hard factual science' or not is really beyond anyone here I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Personally I dont feel the need being a healthy middle age male, buy my reason for not taking is because I am healthy and can fight off the virus. I think any vulnerable person saying no to it are easily lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

I'm not sure to be honest. I'm not anti vaccine or anything. I got plenty of vaccines in my lifetime.

Why I'm not sure is because there doesn't seem to much of a risk to me from this virus. Why would I rush to have something injected into me when its not really necessary? I'm slow to take medication in general.

Now if I was asked to do it as a solidarity thing because public health warrants it, then I may have to rethink and maybe that will sway me. But right now I'm just not sure.

Tbh I don't think anyone here can vouch for the 'hard factual science' behind it. We can choose to believe this or the other and trust our health system and their advice but to actually assess 'hard factual science' or even whether what we're told is 'hard factual science' or not is really beyond anyone here I think.

Not going to start telling you what to do or anything, but I think people such as yourself, fall into the grouping of "it's worth taking the vaccine for the greater good". You, yourself, may be in a low risk demographic, but ultimately the more people that vaccinate, the more effective it is globally, so you would be helping the vulnerable in the community.

As for me, sign me up. I know it was quick to develop, but there has also never been the amount of money and resources thrown at developing a vaccine before and some groundwork had already been done with Sars and Mers.
    Also think they will need to be very direct in how it is provided. I think all three involve two does a month apart. It would be a mess if people took the first dose, thought they were all good and continued to spread the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭mel123

Yep, give it to me. I am so sick of this and then to top it off yesterday i saw Quantas wont let anyone fly who have not had it, q the rest of the airlines who will follow suit and i cant hack another year of not getting away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

Won't be taking it. And I don't care what airlines or governments say. I'm entitled to a holiday and I'll be visiting without any covid vaccine. Nobody is going to force me to put this untested junk in my body. I took enough to last me a life time when travelling around South America and I'm pretty sure the 10 year yellow fever one killed lots of my brain cells.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭SB71

Yes but not immediately

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

I'd take it today if offered.

It's the unselfish thing to do in my opinion.

Also I'd like to be able to travel again at some stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

Vaccine for what?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,145 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Won't be taking it. And I don't care what airlines or governments say. I'm entitled to a holiday and I'll be visiting without any covid vaccine.

4no5fw.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,413 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Jafin wrote: »
    Same. I'm low risk as far as I'm aware, so I'm not in a rush to get the vaccine and I'd rather know if there are any known side effects before getting the vaccine.

What are the side effects of catching the virus in the wild?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

Won't be taking it. And I don't care what airlines or governments say. I'm entitled to a holiday and I'll be visiting without any covid vaccine. Nobody is going to force me to put this untested junk in my body. I took enough to last me a life time when travelling around South America and I'm pretty sure the 10 year yellow fever one killed lots of my brain cells.

You're correct in saying nobody will force you but if you want to go to certain countries I don't think "I'm entitled to a holiday" is going to cut it with border control

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭aziz

I would be hesitant to take any vaccine but now, to quote Terry Pratchett, “ I would eat the arse off a dead badger” to get life back to normal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭ironingbored

Murph_D wrote: »
    What are the side effects of catching the virus in the wild?

Death?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

Its not all anti-mask quacks who wont get the vaccine. Im actually doing a science undergraduate course and Im uncomfortable at the rate in which the vaccine has been rushed through. Instead of being conducted over a few years they're doing huge amounts of testing in a few months. No matter how much testing they do now, it wont be any good to determine long term side effects (enter Swine Flu vaccine and narcolepsy)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,570 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Tig98 wrote: »
    Its not all anti-mask quacks who wont get the vaccine. Im actually doing a science undergraduate course and Im uncomfortable at the rate in which the vaccine has been rushed through. Instead of being conducted over a few years they're doing huge amounts of testing in a few months. No matter how much testing they do now, it wont be any good to determine long term side effects (enter Swine Flu vaccine and narcolepsy)

Thats my feeling as well. These have been developed way too quickly for my liking.
    I wont be taking it any time soon. No problem if other people want to be the "guinea pigs" though.

Advertisement