Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part VII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,384 ✭✭✭✭road_high

The entire country was brought to L5 in late October with just over 300 people in hospital with Covid. As we are subsequently discovering, the majority of these 300, contracted the virus when they were in hospital from some other cause. It would appear, that we threw the economy off a cliff with about 60 people in hospital from Covid.

For context, this is about 0.001% of the population.

When are the mainstream media going to start questioning this? We are pissing through €20billion a month(!!!) on an extreme overreaction to a mild virus and putting way more people at risk from a health service that will be underfunded for years, if not decades to come.

I'm angry as hell about this and there needs to be more anger.

I encourage everyone to email their local TDs about what is being allowed to happen to our country - people need to start standing up to this.

I’ve done it- two replies already and not just generically- it’s pretty obvious they share a lot of our concerns and are very unhappy with Nphet.
    I’ve never been through a more dangerous time for our democracy tbh. I always thought it was rock solid but this has shown how it is easy for a fanatic like Holohan to manipulate a situation to their own ends- using media and social media to max effect.

This is gone way beyond a respiratory virus at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Cork2021

There’s going to be some amount back and forth on this!! Have the government lost confidence in NPHET was Leo right back in early October??
    Just going by the way Martin has been talking he’s softening towards less restrictions anyway.

https://twitter.com/oconnellhugh/status/1330457440672952329?s=21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭boggerman1

road_high wrote: »
    I’ve done it- two replies already and not just generically- it’s pretty obvious they share a lot of our concerns and are very unhappy with Nphet.
    I’ve never been through a more dangerous time for our democracy tbh. I always thought it was rock solid but this has shown how it is easy for a fanatic like Holohan to manipulate a situation to their own ends- using media and social media to max effect.

This is gone way beyond a respiratory virus at this stage.

Totally agree and nphet and houlihan should have been disbanded months ago.too much air time given to mcdonkey and Tomás not a virologist Ryan.the country is being trashed to pieces and if the money being handed over every week stopped it would help snap people back to reality.time to stand up

Level 5 was the idiots response. Not surprisingly it failed (whatever the supposed aim was, who knows) But St Tony screamed and got his hysterical way. Government caved to him yet again

• Registered Users Posts: 8,259 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Level 5 was the idiots response. Not surprisingly it failed (whatever the supposed aim was, who knows) But St Tony screamed and got his hysterical way. Government caved to him yet again

Weren’t most of the misinformed public in favour of level 5 as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭RobitTV

The whole mood of the country is changing before our eyes. The lockdown fanatics and the gloomy curtain twitchers are now losing their grip, as people are getting increasingly frustrated with the social and economic damage these pointless level 5 restrictions have caused.

Holohan wants to keep the country locked up until a vaccine arrives, he is utterly delusional and he must be relieved of his duties immediately before he completely loses his rag. (If that's even possible for him to lose anymore rag)

The government MUST step up now and block this tyrant once and for all, it's time for a proper showdown with this fool.

If I was running our government, Holohan and NPHET would be extinct within minutes.

Weren’t most the misinformed public in favour of level 5 as well?

Indeed but they’re clearly thick as two short planks, paralysed by fear. In no position to be making such far reaching decisions

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

But St Tony screamed and got his hysterical way. Government caved to him yet again

The media and the opposition were also totally compliant , any voices that did question the lockdown stratgy were shot down as uncaring right-wingers - its like people with other issues whether mental, physical or financial have no voice , ther problems dont matter , the only problem in modern Ireland today that matters - is the number of cases of Covid announced every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Weren’t most the misinformed public in favour of level 5 as well?
    I wonder how in favour of it they'll be if Tony get's his wish and extends it

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭never_mind

I have done my bit. I’ve worked from home since March. I’ve not seen friends during the lockdowns. I’ve resorted to sitting in my room zooming friends. Christmas is coming, the HSE has had close to a year to prepare. By now their house should be in order. Open the country including wet pubs, give us a break. I’d happily then move to five after January if we have to but we need a break.

• Advertisement

never_mind wrote: »
    I have done my bit. I’ve worked from home since March. I’ve not seen friends during the lockdowns. I’ve resorted to sitting in my room zooming friends. Christmas is coming, the HSE has had close to a year to prepare. By now their house should be in order. Open the country including wet pubs, give us a break. I’d happily then move to five after January if we have to but we need a break.

Agree with everything except L5- there’s no way we should ever allow that nonsense happen again. Time to start living again. Those that want to continue with lockdown- you’re free to do so.

Agree with everything except L5- there’s no way we should ever allow that nonsense happen again. Time to start living again. Those that want to continue with lockdown- you’re free to do so.

Exactly. And we all know that L5 didn’t work because of the schools yet no one is will to admit it.

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭Stormyteacup

That doesn't prove Donnelly knew what the Tony was going to pull the following day.

Yes - can’t understand why opposition were angry he didn’t call Tony until the next day. Why would he need to based on those messages?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mean Laqueefa

Just back from my daily golf game, course packed yet again 40-50 people men women and teenagers all out in the open and fresh air playing and enjoying getting out.

Most came from within the 5km rule and picked up pals, some outside 5km , one lad carried clubs via Dublin bus , not one person was stopped or questioned as far as i could tell by police, infact there was an off duty copper playing.

No one seems or should to follow these stupid restrictions, they have had enough and are moving on regardless of what anyone says or advises and fair play.

Open the country, shops pubs everything, if you are that fearful stay home and don't see anyone that your choice

Beautiful morning , sun is shining , got my exercise and avoid RTE news.

its good for you

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

RobitTV wrote: »
    The whole mood of the country is changing before our eyes. The lockdown fanatics and the gloomy curtain twitchers are now losing their grip, as people are getting increasingly frustrated with the social and economic damage these pointless level 5 restrictions have caused.

Holohan wants to keep the country locked up until a vaccine arrives, he is utterly delusional and he must be relieved of his duties immediately before he completely loses his rag. (If that's even possible for him to lose anymore rag)

The government MUST step up now and block this tyrant once and for all, it's time for a proper showdown with this fool.

If I was running our government, Holohan and NPHET would be extinct within minutes.

I agree fully but there’s one big problem.

Our so called government (leaders) are more interested in hiding behind NPHET than actually making a decision that they could be held accountable for.

Their a spineless collection of spoofers.

We were advised being their mantra.

Leaders lead. We have no leaders.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Our so called government (leaders) are more interested in hiding behind NPHET than actually making a decision that they could be held accountable for.

Unfortunately true.

NPHET was an incredibly expensive arse-covering measure by Government. They've spent and borrowed €100's of billions of our money to protect themselves from any kind of accountably.

It's nauseating and criminal to see such waste of finite resources.

Also , the record amount of advisers they have now FFS, ALSO we now have ministers who are only affected by Kryptonite, haven't you heard of our SUPER Junior ministers??? and next year I think we're getting AMAZING senior ministers too...

I wouldn't have these advisers as a phone a friend...

I was told last night that the reason cases are coming down is that they've ramped down the testing coupled with 15K not showing up in north Dublin last week..so we probably are way over 1500 a day and yet hospitals are fine thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Just back from my daily golf game, course packed yet again 40-50 people men women and teenagers all out in the open and fresh air playing and enjoying getting out.

Beautiful morning , sun is shining , got my exercise and avoid RTE news.
    You'll be on RTE news if they get wind of your disgraceful granny killing ways

Ireland and even Europe in general need to start accepting the fact that lockdown doesn’t work.

Did the first lockdown help? Yes it did, but for several reasons.

The public made an absolutely huge effort. People stayed away from family/friends/partners etc for months. Business voluntarily closed the shutters. Every school in the country closed. Every construction site in the country closed. Holidays cancelled. We literally pressed the pause button on life. Not to mention the good weather may have helped.

That was a once off type of situation that is completely unsustainable for so many reasons.

As I and many others stated on this thread several weeks ago, lockdown won’t work. Surprising that this is only starting to register with Government now.

NPHET don’t live on planet Earth. They probably believe that even harsher restrictions will help...

Public support is gone now. Time to move forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,570 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

as weak as the Government is , the opposition are playing the same game - they also are afraid or 100% behind NPHET , hear so little opposition to the NPHET lockdown stratgy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Exactly. And we all know that L5 didn’t work because of the schools yet no one is will to admit it.

And that's because Micheal Martin's first promise as incoming Taoiseach was to reopen the schools as scheduled and keep them open.

Admitting the above would mean admitting failure of this policy and closing them again. That could well be the last straw ("you couldn't even do the ONE thing you said") for an already shaky Government.

Leo doesn't want the job back yet either (hence why he's gone quiet lately - not just because of the leak controversy). Leo and FG want to be saviours again when the vaccine is out there and the economy restarts - "keep the recovery going" posters to get a dust-off

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

It took the best part of a year, but finally the public and maybe even government are realising that lockdown is not a measure to be employed other than to prevent our health services being overrun.
    Our health services were never overrun by Covid patients.
    By the time the first lockdown was introduced in Ireland Covid infections were on the wane, and the Summer months ensured that.

Corona viruses are seasonal, so we can expect another small rise in infections during Winter and Spring.
    If we had not locked down this second rise would not be as serious as huge numbers (maybe the majority) would have already been exposed to the virus during the Summer, without consequences.

Public health management has been a complete disaster from day one.

Even the adverts about how best to avoid Covid have not issued any HEALTH advice to the public.
    People should have been advised how best to improve their immune system ... taking sunshine for instance and not staying indoors; take vitamins such as D and zinc to boot immune system.
    As an emergency measure spend all that 'free' money on boosting our hospital capacity.

Nothing at all positive done.
    So now we are left in a similar situation to that we were in when it started to affect us in April.

NPHET have beat themselves into a corner and so I fully expect them to want to retain L5 or 4++ or some other Level.

With Winter in now it is difficult to see how this can progress without such advice being pushed.

I fear for our Winter/Spring numbers (not case numbers but real sickness and death numbers) because we did the exact opposite of what should have been done during the Summer and have not offered any positive advice to the population.

A real disaster of our own making ... and I hope I am wrong to have concerns for Winter/Spring numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭facehugger99

You'll be on RTE news if they get wind of your disgraceful granny killing ways

They're too busy licking their wounds after being caught out ignoring social distancing and mask wearing during L5 restrictions.

Couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch of pompous, fear-mongering hypocrites.

Getting back to restrictions... what do we expect next week? I heard that M Martin said he is willing to interrupt the toy show to make an announcement... beggars belief

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Did the first lockdown even work? They closed schools on the 12th of March, Pubs were closed on the 15th of March, non essential businesses about a week later. The Virus peaked between April 12th and 19th. A month after schools and pubs were closed, 3 weeks after non essential shops being closed.

The Virus basically just peaked and ****ed off for a few months. Lockdowns are supposed to slow the spread or flatten the curve. But there are no curves being flattened. The Virus just falls away dramatically after peaking.

We have to just accept that nobody in a position of power has any idea what they are doing. Nobody knows what they are doing. They are locking us down and not even knowing if it works or not.

Now we are hearing the General Holohan wants to go deeper into December. For what? What evidence or examples from his experience suggest that we should listen to him?

Getting back to restrictions... what do we expect next week? I heard that M Martin said he is willing to interrupt the toy show to make an announcement... beggars belief

If this happens, i would be furious TBH. To close down the country on the steps of leister house, gives such a drastic announcement a correct setting/forum, such is the sad gravity of same implementations, though I don't agree with the measures themselves.

Do you think Boris Johnson would announce relaxations during the X factor live final??? again, who the hell advises these people. This can only be leaked as to have RTE guarantee they get the audience they so dream of for a waning toy show.. Like this absolute gombeen will come on to the electorate with a Noddy hat on like the lord f*cking mayor of toy town to announce he's saved Xmas and there's a Vaccine for everyone in the audience??

are people honestly thinking this is going to happen?? and then we wonder why Tony and Co are turning up on the late late show? Jesus christ, this is Martins gettysburg address and he'll be wearing a ****in reindeer on his jumper!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,071 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

The announcement is Thursday, it's not happening during the Toy show.

I don't think it'll make much difference to a lot on this thread there not living in lockdown anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

They're too busy licking their wounds after being caught out ignoring social distancing and mask wearing during L5 restrictions.

Couldn't have happened to a nicer bunch of pompous, fear-mongering hypocrites.

Shows you that this virus isn't deadly at all when the people telling to adhere to these restrictions are the ones constantly caught not adhering to them. If this virus truly was the population culling virus they want us to believe it is then they would have no choice but to follow their own mandates.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I see Pippa Hacket was interviewed and stated the government will be following the advice of NPHET about xmas. I think we all know what that will be. Thankfully people i have been talking to will be making their own xmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭hamburgham

Lundstram wrote: »
    Apologising for getting into a photograph. The levels of hysteria is just out of control at this stage.

Well they were letting us see there’s no Santa, very naughty. They can’t undermine the message.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement