Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are you adhering to the Households rule?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I would say many people are like me. I don’t follow the rules strictly at all, but do things as sensibly as I see possibly. I still visit my parents, my other half who doesn’t live with me but close by and one other friend. I’m also in the office most days which is fully functioning now with social distancing as an essential service.

But that’s it. No meeting up with my wider friends and family, which I miss but it’s the same for everyone.

I know for a fact that we’ll never get this time back with our loved ones, so we have to enjoy our time now even with the virus. We don’t know what’s around the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭wally1990

Nope, (not I'm not having house parties or anything )

Brotherr in law has called
    My direct next door neighbour pops in for tea and a chat, she needs the company
    My friend called up to watch a match
    I've called to 2 friends homes

The weather has turned, and meeting outside isn't being done by me or my friends
    We like to sit down, have a chat, watch football, and have human interaction
    Majority of friends are adhering but 1 or 2 aren't

My mental health has been on a huge downer
    Anxiety increased, trouble sleeping

Weekdays it's wake, work in bedroom, sleep repeat, depressed

Weekends I used to meet friends and this household rule took that away but we haven't adhered

In general I don't go out unless I must for food or my medicine

I order online when I can wait for the good

I wear my mask always if out and constantly wash my hands but this household rule I just can't

, my head is genuinely messed up over this whole thing so I'm sorry, but I can't
    I call to my friend and he calls to me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Yes same

I'm seeing kids back visiting their Grandparents like it's February this year and I'm like "what the fcuk?"

The Grandparents might have very limited years left on this planet and might just want to see their grandchildren while they can......perish the thought :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Yes I am. But tbh im not sure how much longer I will follow them for. Ive a pain in my face with the whole thing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Neddyusa wrote: »
    The Grandparents might have very limited years left on this planet and might just want to see their grandchildren while they can......perish the thought :rolleyes:

Or the Grandkids might vastly shorten their lives by having it Asymptomatically around them

Besides; the examples I've seen so far were Grandparents in their mid 60s, the average length of life in Ireland is 81 years

There's no excuse for kids being around Grandparents in their mid 60s under Level 5 restrictions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

no but respecting county limits

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Or the Grandkids might vastly shorten their lives by having it Asymptomatically around them

Besides; the examples I've seen so far were Grandparents in their mid 60s, the average length of life in Ireland is 81 years

There's no excuse for kids being around Grandparents in their mid 60s under Level 5 restrictions

Actually lots of grand parents are essential child carers . Grand parents in my atea have always looked after grand children and continue to provide that service

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Actually lots of grand parents are essential child carers . Grand parents in my atea have always looked after grand children and continue to provide that service

Can you explain the bit in bold to me, I never really got it when it came to the Restrictions

Basically; the Grandparents are babysitters to the Grandkids because the parents of the kids are too cheap to pay for a créche service?

That's essentially what it looks like

• Registered Users Posts: 16,072 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Can you explain the bit in bold to me, I never really got it when it came to the Restrictions

Basically; the Grandparents are babysitters to the Grandkids because the parents of the kids are too cheap to pay for a créche service?

Oh whatever . Cant be bothered answering that

No, mental health is very important after months of the harshest restrictions in Europe.

Lots of family and friends are really struggling.

I don’t want to find anyone with a noose around their neck.

• Advertisement

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Oh whatever . Cant be bothered answering that

Amazing contribution so

Anyone claiming mental health as an excuse to do what suits them is just pissing in the face of the few people with genuine mental health issues. ****ing cop-out, if you want to do what you like then at least front up and own it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    Nope he’s in first class so no masks required

Masks aren't required. But kids are sitting in pods. Playing in pods. Sanitising hands in school. Leaving doors & windows open for ventilation. Not sharing materials. Not walking around classroom.

But, in your mind, no Covid mitigation measures...

The issue I see with this Level 5 lockdown is that everywhere seems to be open. Click and collect being a thing, pretty much made the whole exercise of "locking things down" redundant. People are still going to shops, cafes, etc. and many are still going to work. Aside from around Dublin (and it's completely pointless permanent checkpoints) there doesn't seem to be many checkpoints around in general at all.

I wasn't essential last time around, this time I am (I shouldn't be). The same is true for at least three other people I know.

That said, I will acknowledge that shops, whilst i still see plenty in them, the ones on the outskirts of town (retail parks) seem quieter, and i think that's a lot to do with people at home not wanting to bother to go a place they'd normally probably work close to, and so instead are just using Amazon or the likes.

Personally, I understand the need for restrictions in general, and I get the idea behind them, but there doesn't seem to be any interest this time around. Personally, I attribute a lot of that to people seeing the morons out protesting and the Gardai treating them like injured kittens, instead of being seen to come down hard on them. Also, Gardai not having the backbone to deal with house parties, large gatherings etc. but holding people up on their way to work with silly checkpoints.

I think such scenes, combined, have ensured most people are just shrugging their shoulders to Level 5 this time around and not bothering to make an effort.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Following all the guidelines.

I can't be in a position to give out about others if I'm not sticking to the rules myself.

If you're breaking the rules, you're part of the reason they need to be so strict.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

KaneToad wrote: »
    Masks aren't required. But kids are sitting in pods. Playing in pods. Sanitising hands in school. Leaving doors & windows open for ventilation. Not sharing materials. Not walking around classroom.

Yep but nope none of this is happening, 30 kids squeezed on top of each other queueing to get in and out of class 2/3 times a day negates the whole bubble thing as you well know. And zero windows open cause it’s a wee bit nippy

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭timeToLive

KaneToad wrote: »

I'm not talking about whatever school year your kid is in but sports is still going on in schools. I live near one and there's 50/60+ kids gathered groups of around 15+. Doesn't matter if all the stuff you mentioned is in place. It's effort is undone by other actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 mrsgiller

Yes mostly, family of 4, kids partners welcome in house they have been here on and off since March. Only 2 of the 6 of us working outside home but I feel so sorry for my husband who has been doing his full day's work at the kitchen table since March, he is struggling big time, misses the social interaction at his job, football and the pub. The things I miss are visiting my mam in her nursing home and shopping centres.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

mrsgiller wrote: »
    Yes mostly, family of 4, kids partners welcome in house they have been here on and off since March. Only 2 of the 6 of us working outside home but I feel so sorry for my husband who has been doing his full day's work at the kitchen table since March, he is struggling big time, misses the social interaction at his job, football and the pub. The things I miss are visiting my mam in her nursing home and shopping centres.

This is everything that’s wrong with a lockdown

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

For the most part yes, I live alone so bubble up with my partner who also lives alone. I cross counties for work. I'm considered essential this time around as others have found ways to get out of work so I'm basically covering for them. Visit my parents with mask on, when on the road as I'm the only contact they have at the moment so need to keep that up whatever happens.. I really want this to end now so they can get back out and enjoy their retirement. I don't care about myself.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 253 ✭✭Xtrail14

Engaging in coitus with one foot on the floor and limiting it to 14 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    This is everything that’s wrong with a lockdown
    Was down visiting me mum who lives close by. She was just arriving in from being at a socially distanced funeral. She was in tears. I asked her why. She said she missed being able to talk to her friends

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭gingerhousewife

We are, for the most part. My sister lives alone and is wfh since mid March (as am I), so I have told her to consider herself part of our household since the very start. This time round though a brother of mine also visits, which he didn't last time.

I have travelled outside the 5k a few times this week to help my son move into a new house (his first time moving out of home).

I let my youngest (10) play outside with kids from his class, as he's doing that at school anyway and I thought it was unnatural what the kids went through the first time - he didn't see another child in April or May!

Otherwise, yes. Always mask up, maintain distance in shops, and sanitise on entry and exit.

Come christmas, I will see my wider family - irrespective of whatever restrictions are in place. I have 8 siblings, 6 of whom I have barely seen since February, and my in-laws live in another county. Will also see my friends, in their houses or mine. None of us knows if this could be our last Christmas, and I, for one, am not prepared to stay away from loved ones indefinitely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

We are, for the most part. My sister lives alone and is wfh since mid March (as am I), so I have told her to consider herself part of our household since the very start. This time round though a brother of mine also visits, which he didn't last time.

I have travelled outside the 5k a few times this week to help my son move into a new house (his first time moving out of home).

I let my youngest (10) play outside with kids from his class, as he's doing that at school anyway and I thought it was unnatural what the kids went through the first time - he didn't see another child in April or May!

Otherwise, yes. Always mask up, maintain distance in shops, and sanitise on entry and exit.

Come christmas, I will see my wider family - irrespective of whatever restrictions are in place. I have 8 siblings, 6 of whom I have barely seen since February, and my in-laws live in another county. Will also see my friends, in their houses or mine. None of us knows if this could be our last Christmas, and I, for one, am not prepared to stay away from loved ones indefinitely.

Caution and sense evident in your post. Well said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

yes but becoming increasingly exasperated by the me fein approach by many parents . Where do they think their droves of teenagers are for 4 aNd 5 hours after school each day? Why are they bringing 3 kids unmasked to the shop and letting them run up & down the aisles. Why are they bringing them unmasked to take aways where there are signs on the door saying masked customers only, one at a time and no children allowed in the shop? What is it about the self entitled in the middle of a global
    medical emergency that makes
    them think the rules don’t apply to them and they can pick and choose their favourites and just use them.

Can’t wait til they bring in covid paddywaggons & tulsa for wandering kids and restrictions
    police with powers to fine & megafines and convictions like in the uk.

As for police -havn’t seen a single checkpoint this lockdown -last time there would have been 2 or 3 within a 5k circle. Maybe the overtime budget is all used up -or maybe they don’t give s **** themselves either.

Maybe the way to start will be using the
    covid tracker to start reporting people not complying. Can’t wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

seriously, tired of this ****....

i dont have covid, my family dont have covid. ive missed birthdays, christenings, my ****ing 1st wedding anniversary, **** knows what else for a flu... a ****ing flu.

i have elderly parents, their being responsible. i dont want them to catch it from my kids or anything.

im human, im not designed to sit at home curtain twitching.. im designed to interact with other humans.

im going insane.

Can’t wait til they bring in covid paddywaggons & tulsa for wandering kids and restrictions
    police with powers to fine & megafines and convictions like in the uk.

As for police -havn’t seen a single checkpoint this lockdown -last time .

yeah, **** the kids for wanting to be kids..

you idiot

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 253 ✭✭Xtrail14

copeyhagen wrote: »
    seriously, tired of this ****....

i dont have covid, my family dont have covid. ive missed birthdays, christenings, my ****ing 1st wedding anniversary, **** knows what else for a flu... a ****ing flu.

i have elderly parents, their being responsible. i dont want them to catch it from my kids or anything.

im human, im not designed to sit at home curtain twitching.. im designed to interact with other humans.

im going insane.

Go away out and go riding and give over your knawshawling.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Maybe they can't afford crèche? Is it not a good thing if grandparents can mind their grandchildren and facilitate the parents working and paying tax etc. where they might not otherwise be able to (or it simply might not be worth their while by the time they've paid crèche fees)?

• Advertisement

Xtrail14 wrote: »
    Go away out and go riding and give over your knawshawling.

can we have that in English?

Advertisement