Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Has the noughties been the best decade for mens tennis?

• 15-10-2020 4:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭

It seems that with the exception of professional sports commentators, elderly people, and tennis players, no one remembers the big winners in the 60-80s in tennis.

Meanwhile people like Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Murray, Del Potro etc... are known world over and I don't think we'll see greats like them again.

Is this true or not?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Ludikrus

How are youngsters supposed to remember winners in the 60s - 80s? Seeing as you excluded “elderly” people (whatever that means). I’m around since the late 70’s so not quite elderly. I know the history of Laver, Borg, McEnroe, Connors, etc. It was a great time for tennis.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

The achievements are better now but the characters were better back then. I imagine it was probably more fun to follow men's tennis in the 60's/70's/80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Scmag111

This has been one of the worst eras for tennis, competition is what makes any sport interesting and for the past 15 years the only real time any tennis was competitive was in the semis or final where one of the big three plus maybe Murray met.

Also, while Nadal, Federer and Djokovic are up there as the greatest there is no real personality about tennis. Think back to when you have great matches between Becker, Edberg. Connors. McEnroe etc... there was no clear favourite at the start of a tournament and any match from the quarters on could have included the overall winner along with a bust up along the way.

I think tennis since the late 2000s has benefitted from increased sponsorship but like snooker for example if you take the top few players out the quality is not very good.

Advertisement