Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The UK response - Part II - read OP

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

North West goes back into restrictions at midnight.

"The health secretary announced that from midnight on Thursday people from different households in Greater Manchester, parts of East Lancashire, West Yorkshire and Leicester would not be able to meet each other indoors"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

"The health secretary announced that from midnight on Thursday people from different households in Greater Manchester, parts of East Lancashire, West Yorkshire and Leicester would not be able to meet each other indoors"

Does that mean pubs and restaurants in the area have to close. Couldn't see it mentioned online.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Dave0301

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    Does that mean pubs and restaurants in the area have to close. Couldn't see it mentioned online.

Apparently not...the advice is that pubs/restaurants can remain open. You should only visit as a household and socially distance. Seems a bit odd, but I am sure the UK Govt know what they are doing.

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1288964940569739266

• Registered Users Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭Enzokk

Dave0301 wrote: »
    Apparently not...the advice is that pubs/restaurants can remain open. You should only visit as a household and socially distance. Seems a bit odd, but I am sure the UK Govt know what they are doing.

https://twitter.com/PaulBrandITV/status/1288964940569739266

This is another interesting development by the UK government,

https://twitter.com/davidallengreen/status/1288970507812044800?s=20

https://twitter.com/JimBoardman/status/1288969281275858946?s=20

It is all clear and easy to understand. You can sit next to people from other households in a pub but if you meet those same people in a garden you are at risk of being fined.

The first tweet seems to be a follow up to this,

https://twitter.com/woodstockjag/status/1288965398692532224?s=20

Seems like there is confusion on the lockdown and it was a surprise to almost everyone bar the Health Secretary,

https://twitter.com/deb_cohen/status/1288965938503704576?s=20

Here is the tweets from Hancock,

https://twitter.com/MattHancock/status/1288931608750444555?s=20

https://twitter.com/MattHancock/status/1288931974531424256?s=20

Despicable that he is blaming the public for this and not this shambles of a government and their shambles of communication. I have posted it before but those in charge at the moment really are some of the worst you can possibly think of. Blaming people for not keeping to lockdown rules and guidance,

https://twitter.com/Matthew_Wright/status/1288734144957165568?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭bob mcbob

Apparently the "world beating" track and trace system has its flaws.
    Who could possibly have seen this coming.

Paywalled but you get the idea

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/councils-set-up-their-own-track-and-trace-systems-xlmj9csx7

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭ongarite

This new lockdown in UK is very much aimed at Muslim community and upcoming Eid celebrations.
    Look at the cities and towns singled out and it’s only for household gatherings only.
    Eid celebrations involve gatherings in households from kids to grandparents

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

ongarite wrote: »
    This new lockdown in UK is very much aimed at Muslim community and upcoming Eid celebrations.
    Look at the cities and towns singled out and it’s only for household gatherings only.

This^

The people who they are restricting are not those who are about to spend the weekend in the pub with other families anyway. Don't know what might be going on locally with the media messages, but they need to engage with local leaders in persuading people to change their celebrations to outside of the home and the importance of keeping the distance.

Matt Hancock tweeting to tell people that Eid is cancelled is not the way forwards though.

ongarite wrote: »

I seen some suggestions online this morning relating to this, but to remove any doubt about it, just listened to Tory MP Craig Whittaker on LBC (link to interview).
    Criag Whittaker is MP for the Calder Valley, one of the areas that has been affected. He told Ian Payne that it is Muslim and BAME communities who have not been obeying lockdown rules.

He said: "What I have seen in my constituency is that there are sections of the community that are not taking the pandemic seriously."

Ian clarified that he was talking about the Muslim community and Mr Whittaker responded: "Of course.

"If you look at the areas where we've seen rises and cases, the vast majority - but not by any stretch of the imagination all areas - it is the BAME communities that are not taking this seriously enough.

"I've been challenging our local leaders for three weeks, asking what we are doing to target these areas to let people know that this is a very serious problem. Until people take it seriously, we're not going to get rid of this pandemic.

"We have areas of high multiple occupancy - when you have multiple families living in one household. It doesn't specifically have to be in the Asian community, but that is the largest proportion.

"Look at the areas. You've got Bradford, Calderdale, Kirklees. Bradford and Kirklees have two of the largest populations in West Yorkshire."

Again Ian clarified that he was referring to the immigrant population and the MP said: "Immigrant and Asian population."

Fairly classless accusation to make, particularly when the areas with the highest cases per 100000 are predominantly white.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

She's just hiding away from her mental oul' fella.

Presidential candidate my arse

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭alentejo

My own view is the restrictions in Manchester and north of England are impossible to police. Stopping pub proprietors to stop people from one household talking to another.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sports that were supposed to have a crowd this weekend no long have a crowd this weekend or for next two weeks. Though the snooker (ITV4) does have some socially spaced people/couples today. Weddings cancelled

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2020/jul/31/sport-fans-return-to-live-events-stalled-as-boris-johnson-abandons-further-pilots-covid-19

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I seen some suggestions online this morning relating to this, but to remove any doubt about it, just listened to Tory MP Craig Whittaker on LBC (link to interview).

Fairly classless accusation to make, particularly when the areas with the highest cases per 100000 are predominantly white.

Yeah but that does not mean that the people catching it are predominantly white. The overwhelming majority of England is white- 81.9%.

I am in England and in an area with high level of infections some of the highest in fact. It was even being monitored for a lockdown last week- majority white population but high Asian community.

The fact of the matter is that there is a high proportion of Asians in particular catching it. There are reasons for it.

I can see it myself anecdotally and while it might seem politically incorrect it is true. 80-90% of my daily interactions are with Asians both 1st and 2nd generation. I have sat in their houses. Quite often English is not even the 2nd or 3rd language spoken in the household. As for writing English forget it.

And yes you will find households with 5-10 members living in a 2/3 bed house- parents, young children, grandparents, in laws- the works.

I was working with a family a few years back and they live in a 2 bed terrace- there is 9 of them in the house. That is normal.

They do gather in large groups. Very rare to see a 2-3 Asian family walking in the park or in the shops- the whole extended family tags along so you will have groups with 7,8,9,10 + family members in close proximity and then they will meet up with similar sized groups. Quite often speaking in Urdu or Punjab.

TV is piped in via sateillte from India/Pakistan or Bangladesh. Quite often I will have an Asian client ranting at me for not being open the day before- I have to point out that it was a Bank Holiday- no idea that it was a Bank Holiday. They follow their own Islamic or Hindi holidays.

There can also be a large disconnect between swathes of the BAME communities and the rest of the England. They won't follow the news, they don't go to the pub, they dont' play sports or engage with society like we would in Ireland. They will stick together- sure it's like Irish lads in Aus os Boston hanging around together.

In Ireland you are not going to appreciate the cultural niceties over here.

I am just speaking from own experiences and not every BAME is like the above but what the MP was saying is not controversial and you will struggle to find anyone who disagrees. Even Asians would agree what my brief summary above.

The gas thing about the English I have discovered after 10 years is that they love bringing in rules and regulations. But at the same time they have eff all intention of enforcing them. Half arsed at best.

Dara O'Brien did a sketch on it a few years as he lives in London and he was bang on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭Enzokk

You can try to blame one community or one type of people as much as you like, this is why people in the UK don't care for the lockdown rules,

Dominic Cummings undermined lockdown enforcement, says ex-Durham police chief
    Durham’s former chief constable has warned that Dominic Cummings’ lockdown behaviour has made it more difficult for officers to enforce the rules and has been used by some as an excuse for law-breaking.

Mike Barton said the decision by the prime minister’s chief aide to drive to Durham at the height of the coronavirus pandemic had “damaged trust in the government and in the rules”.

After the trip was exposed by the Guardian and the Daily Mirror, Barton said: “People were actually using the word ‘Cummings’ in encounters with the police to justify antisocial behaviour.”

Speaking to Times Radio, he said: “If the public don’t think the police are operating in a fair and impartial way, you won’t get their trust and you won’t get their support. People who make the rules shouldn’t break them. Otherwise, you can’t expect the little people to do it.”

Barton, who retired last year after a seven-year stint running the force, also criticised Cummings’s failure to apologise for his actions and the excuses he gave for them during a Downing Street press conference. “His bare-faced effrontery in the rose garden was staggering,” he said.

Barton said Cummings’s explanation for his trip to Barnard Castle was worse than childish.

He said: “To say that he drove 60 miles with his child in the back of the car, on his wife’s birthday, to go to a beauty spot to test his eyesight, just beggars belief. I wouldn’t have expected a seven-year-old boy who was caught red-handed to have come out with such a ridiculous excuse.”

He added: “So do I think that damaged trust in the government and in the rules? Of course it did. And that’s what the studies are now saying.”

This seemed to me to break the spirit people had in following the rules. Add into this that is seems the UK government is quick to relax lockdown rules when the infection rates were still high compared to their EU neighbours and their ambiguous messaging didn't help.

Tory MP condemned for claim BAME people breaching lockdown most
    In Trafford, a mostly affluent part of Greater Manchester, health officials said younger middle-class residents were behind the recent rise in cases, not the south Asian community.

Eleanor Roaf, Trafford council’s director of public health, said about 57% of the new cases were people aged 25 or below and included those in its wealthiest suburbs, Altrincham and Hale, where footballers and actors live.

“It’s spread across Trafford. It’s not concentrated at all in our more deprived areas,” she told BBC Radio 4’s Today programme.

“My real concern is perhaps the messaging. Definitely the harms from Covid are concentrated in the more deprived areas but in fact anyone can get it and we really need to make sure that people living in wealthier areas aren’t complacent because that’s the biggest risk.

“Altrincham, Hale, have been some of our hotspots in Trafford, so the messaging I’m wanting to get out is [that] absolutely anyone can get it.”

I can link the pictures of the beaches or the fans in Liverpool and Leeds gathering, which were not BAME majorities but they are easy to find. It is easy for a party that has a problem with Islamaphobia to blame Muslims for this and people to agree with them. Labour lost the last election because they have a problem with Antisemitism, the Tories has just as big of a problem but nobody is talking about it because "brown" people are the ones they are targeting. It says a lot about the attitude of the UK to race.

https://twitter.com/LawrenceDunhill/status/1289177998990520320?s=20

Enzokk wrote: »
    You can try to blame one community or one type of people as much as you like, this is why people in the UK don't care for the lockdown rules,

Dominic Cummings undermined lockdown enforcement, says ex-Durham police chief

This seemed to me to break the spirit people had in following the rules. Add into this that is seems the UK government is quick to relax lockdown rules when the infection rates were still high compared to their EU neighbours and their ambiguous messaging didn't help.

Tory MP condemned for claim BAME people breaching lockdown most

I can link the pictures of the beaches or the fans in Liverpool and Leeds gathering, which were not BAME majorities but they are easy to find. It is easy for a party that has a problem with Islamaphobia to blame Muslims for this and people to agree with them. Labour lost the last election because they have a problem with Antisemitism, the Tories has just as big of a problem but nobody is talking about it because "brown" people are the ones they are targeting. It says a lot about the attitude of the UK to race.

https://twitter.com/LawrenceDunhill/status/1289177998990520320?s=20

Funnily enough I know Trafford quite well but I wouldnt go so far as to call it affluent. NOt by any stretch of the imagination but then again "affluence" is relative. Is it a ****hole? No.

Ironically a former colleague on mine who lives there and she is Asian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

It is obvious that these new cases are more recent than the events that you are describing which are several weeks in the past.

As for targetting, if it is objectively true that the virus is more prevalent in Asian communities in Blackburn for example that isn't "targeting" that is a fact. As for why that is, it could be for a myriad of reasons. Perhaps due to the nature of work being different than in other areas. Perhaps for other reasons.

Similarly, there is a reason why Nicola Sturgeon is saying that 20s and 30s need to be particularly careful in Scotland. It is because they happen to be spreading the virus more than others at the moment.

What I have noticed the last few Friday and Saturday nights is that the streets are quite busy with revellers going to pubs etc but they are remarkably young. I was sat in a pub 2 weeks ago and I would easily say that 95% of the punters were aged between 18-25. Even 25 is pushing it.

It is all young people out and about.

While I am writhing this I can see the Mosque across the road. There is about 10-15 guys standing around chatting outside the door. No masks and no social distancing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭theological

What I have noticed the last few Friday and Saturday nights is that the streets are quite busy with revellers going to pubs etc but they are remarkably young. I was sat in a pub 2 weeks ago and I would easily say that 95% of the punters were aged between 18-25. Even 25 is pushing it.

It is all young people out and about.
    While I am writhing this I can see the Mosque across the road. There is about 10-15 guys standing around chatting outside the door. No masks and no social distancing.

My only concern is that these are anecdotes and not factual.

If we have data about how many of the Liverpool fans caught coronavirus from standing outdoors that'd be interesting. (I'm not saying that this was right, I'm just saying we should avoid jumping to conclusions).

The same in respect to the many "spot the distancing" beach photos that we've been spoiled with on this thread.

The likelihood is that most of the new cases are because of meeting indoors at incorrect distances for prolonged periods, and are probably not related to large outdoor gatherings.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The likelihood is that most of the new cases are because of meeting indoors at incorrect distances for prolonged periods, and are probably not related to large outdoor gatherings.

Most clusters of new outbreaks seem to be related to the workplace. There is a spike of cases a couple of miles away from me now, but all centred on a factory and where they would probably have been wearing PPE apparatus for the work anyway. So then the coffee breaks are when the highest risk is as they take off the gear to protect them from the dangerous chemicals, but then relax and end up getting too close to each other whilst having a fag. Thankfully when it happens like that it makes it relatively easy to do the contact tracing, compared with if someone turned up at a pub and infected everyone else.

• Advertisement

My only concern is that these are anecdotes and not factual.

If we have data about how many of the Liverpool fans caught coronavirus from standing outdoors that'd be interesting. (I'm not saying that this was right, I'm just saying we should avoid jumping to conclusions).

The same in respect to the many "spot the distancing" beach photos that we've been spoiled with on this thread.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-52602467

There are a lot of factors at play and the new cases are almost inevitably linked to the easing of restrictions. The lockdown is over so the so called second wave is here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

This is another interesting development by the UK government,

https://twitter.com/davidallengreen/status/1288970507812044800?s=20

https://twitter.com/JimBoardman/status/1288969281275858946?s=20

It is all clear and easy to understand. You can sit next to people from other households in a pub but if you meet those same people in a garden you are at risk of being fined.

The first tweet seems to be a follow up to this,

https://twitter.com/woodstockjag/status/1288965398692532224?s=20

Seems like there is confusion on the lockdown and it was a surprise to almost everyone bar the Health Secretary,

https://twitter.com/deb_cohen/status/1288965938503704576?s=20

Here is the tweets from Hancock,

https://twitter.com/MattHancock/status/1288931608750444555?s=20

https://twitter.com/MattHancock/status/1288931974531424256?s=20

Despicable that he is blaming the public for this and not this shambles of a government and their shambles of communication. I have posted it before but those in charge at the moment really are some of the worst you can possibly think of. Blaming people for not keeping to lockdown rules and guidance,

https://twitter.com/Matthew_Wright/status/1288734144957165568?s=20

Why compare yourself to Europe?

Shambles is not the word. The directions are so wishy washy again.

Why compare yourself to Europe?

Shambles is not the word. The directions are so wishy washy again.

Sure months back lads back in Ireland were asking me via Whatsapp about the restrictions over here and I was able to say that with all the exemptions and half arsed directions I was able to carry on as normal quite legally. I never once saw a cop out enforcing anything.

I went to work everyday, went grocery shopping, did my athletics. It was great actually. No traffic or school runs.

It pretty much had zero impact on my life all things considered. In fact, my lifestyle improved.

When I heard about all the checkpoints etc in Ireland it made me glad to be over here!!!

Yeah but that does not mean that the people catching it are predominantly white. The overwhelming majority of England is white- 81.9%.

I am in England and in an area with high level of infections some of the highest in fact. It was even being monitored for a lockdown last week- majority white population but high Asian community.

The fact of the matter is that there is a high proportion of Asians in particular catching it. There are reasons for it.

I can see it myself anecdotally and while it might seem politically incorrect it is true. 80-90% of my daily interactions are with Asians both 1st and 2nd generation. I have sat in their houses. Quite often English is not even the 2nd or 3rd language spoken in the household. As for writing English forget it.

And yes you will find households with 5-10 members living in a 2/3 bed house- parents, young children, grandparents, in laws- the works.

I was working with a family a few years back and they live in a 2 bed terrace- there is 9 of them in the house. That is normal.

They do gather in large groups. Very rare to see a 2-3 Asian family walking in the park or in the shops- the whole extended family tags along so you will have groups with 7,8,9,10 + family members in close proximity and then they will meet up with similar sized groups. Quite often speaking in Urdu or Punjab.

TV is piped in via sateillte from India/Pakistan or Bangladesh. Quite often I will have an Asian client ranting at me for not being open the day before- I have to point out that it was a Bank Holiday- no idea that it was a Bank Holiday. They follow their own Islamic or Hindi holidays.

There can also be a large disconnect between swathes of the BAME communities and the rest of the England. They won't follow the news, they don't go to the pub, they dont' play sports or engage with society like we would in Ireland. They will stick together- sure it's like Irish lads in Aus os Boston hanging around together.

In Ireland you are not going to appreciate the cultural niceties over here.

I am just speaking from own experiences and not every BAME is like the above but what the MP was saying is not controversial and you will struggle to find anyone who disagrees. Even Asians would agree what my brief summary above.

I don't disagree that some of the living arrangements in BAME communities may contribute to infection rates within those communities. I live and have lived in various parts of the UK, so I do have an insight into the cultural niceties as you put it.

The Tory MP was using anecdotal evidence to blame certain communities as to why he believes cases are rising, which may or may not turn out to be accurate. It would have been more preferable if he actually had some data to hand to back up his claims, but that will depend on how well the track and trace system is working.

The Tory MP was using anecdotal evidence to blame certain communities as to why he believes cases are rising, which may or may not turn out to be accurate. It would have been more preferable if he actually had some data to hand to back up his claims, but that will depend on how well the track and trace system is working.

This isn’t anecdotal evidence to blame a certain community, there is a real and confirmed problem with certain communities across several regions.

It isn’t politically correct and as we saw from Enzo, the left would much rather blame Dominic Cummings, but the reality is, this is a problem within the Muslim community and it needs to be addressed.

Aegir wrote: »
    This isn’t anecdotal evidence to blame a certain community, there is a real and confirmed problem with certain communities across several regions.

It isn’t politically correct and as we saw from Enzo, the left would much rather blame Dominic Cummings, but the reality is, this is a problem within the Muslim community and it needs to be addressed.

Can you point me in the direction of data that breakdowns case by ethnicity?

I am not trying to be smart, it is a genuine question. I know that BAME have been shown to have higher fatality rates, but if track and trace is showing trends in infection it would be helpful to have a look.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

What I have noticed the last few Friday and Saturday nights is that the streets are quite busy with revellers going to pubs etc but they are remarkably young. I was sat in a pub 2 weeks ago and I would easily say that 95% of the punters were aged between 18-25. Even 25 is pushing it. It is all young people out and about.

I'm seeing the same but in peoples back garden - right now I can see two parties running with about 20 people in one garden and more than that in another.

Being in a rural town this weekend to help a relative in need, it's clear that we have almost gone back to normal in many places. Mass gatherings are now commonplace and people are just mixing even more than pre-covid, since there are more house parties as at home they can be close and at pubs they can't.

The majority of whom I see are young people but there are some older people, the kind who always think they know better, who are out as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Can you point me in the direction of data that breakdowns case by ethnicity?

I am not trying to be smart, it is a genuine question. I know that BAME have been shown to have higher fatality rates, but if track and trace is showing trends in infection it would be helpful to have a look.

You'd only have to look at the ethnicity of the majority of lockdown areas. Aslo consider the words of a community leader in Bradford today:
    Mohammed Ashrif Tahir Nushai, 84, a community leader in Bradford, spoke out as the Government was blasted for imposing a new lockdown in Manchester, east Lancashire and West Yorkshire at the start of Eid. Mr Nushai told MailOnline: "Sadly, there are people within our community who are not taking coronavirus seriously enough. Since the easing of the main lockdown, a lot of people have been visiting relatives and friends and attending events in each other’s homes with very little thought of keeping themselves safe".
    Yesterday, police were injured when trying to disperse a 200-strong street party in Ilford (e.Ldn) of people celebrating Eid.

Leicester's peaked not due to a festival, but due to sweatshop work conditions (often illegal and using slave labour) undertaken by large numbers of this non-white majority city.

You'd only have to look at the ethnicity of the majority of lockdown areas. Aslo consider the words of a community leader in Bradford today:
    Mohammed Ashrif Tahir Nushai, 84, a community leader in Bradford, spoke out as the Government was blasted for imposing a new lockdown in Manchester, east Lancashire and West Yorkshire at the start of Eid. Mr Nushai told MailOnline: "Sadly, there are people within our community who are not taking coronavirus seriously enough. Since the easing of the main lockdown, a lot of people have been visiting relatives and friends and attending events in each other’s homes with very little thought of keeping themselves safe".
    Yesterday, police were injured when trying to disperse a 200-strong street party in Ilford (e.Ldn) of people celebrating Eid.

Leicester's peaked not due to a festival, but due to sweatshop work conditions (often illegal and using slave labour) undertaken by large numbers of this non-white majority city.

That is like saying there were lots of white people at some of the illegal raves that took place over the last couple of months.

Again, I am not disputing that these are contributing factors, but I just wondered if anyone had a link to data from the NHS or PHE with cases by ethnicity.

• Advertisement

That is like saying there were lots of white people at some of the illegal raves that took place over the last couple of months.

Again, I am not disputing that these are contributing factors, but I just wondered if anyone had a link to data from the NHS or PHE with cases by ethnicity.

There is plenty of stats on deaths by ethnicity our there, not sure if they do cases by ethnicity at any point.

Advertisement