Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

International Rugby League thread.

• 22-06-2018 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,844 ✭✭✭✭

England v New Zealand are playing in Denver, USA tomorrow. Should be a good game live on BBC Two at 21:10. I'm really looking forward to it anyhoo.

There's a good preview here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/rugby-league/44578720

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Should be interesting, I wonder if altitude will be a factor? NZ generally have a poor record in mid year tests. Is this game being locked in as an annual fixture or is it a once off see how we go?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,844 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Should be interesting, I wonder if altitude will be a factor? NZ generally have a poor record in mid year tests. Is this game being locked in as an annual fixture or is it a once off see how we go?

I think they just saw the origin weekend idea as a window to try it. If they decide to keep the origin weekend, it'd be nice to think the club's would allow their English and Kiwi players to take part in this test again, even if it was in Australia.

I'd say the altitude might gas players pretty quickly, the benches will be much more important than usual and the Kiwis are in transition since players committed to Pacific nations, so I'd hope England have enough, but it should be a good game.

Actually just read, if its successful this year, there's an agreement to do it again in 2019 and 2020 in the US again.

They are hopeful to get 20,000 at tomorrows game, which would be pretty good.

Actually just read, if its successful this year, there's an agreement to do it again in 2019 and 2020 in the US again.

They are hopeful to get 20,000 at tomorrows game, which would be pretty good.
    That's a good attendance. I knew it was on but with the world cup my entire sporting world is consumed by that but I'll ceck it out for sure.. Hopefully they can fit it in every year league needs new concepts.

Just a heads up there's 2 live games this morning on Sky Sports Arena

PNG v Fiji from 7am

Samoa v Tonga 10am

The Pacific Islands were a breath of fresh air last World Cup, so hopefully these games will help then keep the upward path going.

• Advertisement

I didn't see the match but apparantly PNG were good value for the win over Fiji.

I didn't see the match but apparantly PNG were good value for the win over Fiji.

Fiji were missing a few up front and Hayne was terrible, but PNG absolutely deserved the win.

Tonga look the real deal these days, pretty comfortable against Samoa and I think they'll show they are consistently at the same level as England/NZ now.

Just noticed England V NZ isn't on BBC in Ireland. That's no good.

Just noticed England V NZ isn't on BBC in Ireland. That's no good.

If you have sky satellite TV you could tune UK BBC Two on "other channels"

Wasn't 20000 there, an ok crowd though, would have been better in a smaller ground. An entertaining game none the less, New Zealand have a bit of a way to go but England played pretty well and deserved win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Rugby League Ireland have announced Stuart Littler has accepted the role as coach for the European Championships. They have also announced Ireland will take on Scotland on October 28th in Morton Stadium Santry

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭swiftman

Was having a look at Ticketek here in NZ and had a look at the 2 games coming up at Mt Smart.
    13/10/18 Kiwi vs Kangaroos
    20/10/18 Tonga vs Kangaroos
    I was at the Tonga vs England semi final and I couldn't let this pass. Atmosphere will be something else. Reason I left it so late because unsure if i'll be in the country.
    Tonga game nearly sold out with over 4 weeks to go, very different story with the other game with week less to go.
    At Mt Smart there is the embankment and 50 blocks, 17 in the west, 18 in the east and 15 in the south (7 lower,8 upper).
    Only tickets left for Tonga are behind both posts, 2 blocks in the south upper and the embankment behind the other post. I took the embankment.
    With Kiwi's, they sold 4/17 in west, 4/18 in east. None sold out in south but they haven't put upper on sale, also haven't put the embankment on sale (no demand).
    Can't compare all prices but Adult south: Kiwi's $36, Tonga $30.
    Category A tickets, upper west & east are Kiwi's $56, Tonga $60.
    Kiwi lower west and east is priced $46.
    Home game for the Kiwi's will be lucky to sell half the ground where as a country with population 107,000 and 2,400km away will sell out the same ground vs the same team, a week apart.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Heads up that Sky Sports Arena is showing New Zealand vs Australia tomorrow with kick-off at 7:45am.

Ferns vs Jillaros women's test will also be shown from 5am but I think that's too early for me.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

I recorded NZ vs Australia and it was really enjoyable. I was worrying that Australia would snatch it at the end. Joseph Manu was immense.

England are playing New Zealand later this month which should be interesting. Sky Sports are showing Tonga vs Australia next Saturday.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

I recorded NZ vs Australia and it was really enjoyable. I was worrying that Australia would snatch it at the end. Joseph Manu was immense.

England are playing New Zealand later this month which should be interesting. Sky Sports are showing Tonga vs Australia next Saturday.

Great win for the Kiwis, an excellent game too, thought they might have blown it after having so much of the play first half and still trailing. Both teams rebooting though, so it'll be fun seeing how they get on. The Kiwis, if they play like that against England should have enough to win it, and get back to 2nd best team in the world. Looking forward to that game, Kangaroos should comfortably beat Tonga, though it's going to be a great atmosphere.

Easy win for England over France, reading the interview with Wayne Bennett after is gold, he clearly hasn't got a clue what half his players names are! :pac:

What a crowd for the Tonga v the Aussies game. Sea of red and white.

Just in the door and after swallowing a double whopper burger.
    What can I say, it was as good as the semi final vs England.
    Crowd was fantastic. I think score line was reflecting of game. I could go and say I thought the better team didn’t win.
    Australia got few easy try’s from mistakes. Took there chances.
    Tonga were killing them in tackles and running into them.
    Tonga could do with a better full back, I know RTS is Samoan but wonder does he have any Tongan in him. Andrew Fifita didn’t look fit in second half. Was fairly injured but managed to carry well.
    For half time till Tonga’s try at 52 mins, Australia didn’t touch the ball. Amazing.
    Did anyone else think Tonga could been the better team? Maybe I’m one eyed.

Love the Tongan games, the supporters don’t show up expecting to win and if it’s not a win then it’s the end of the world like the way most kiwis are. Tonga come to support there country. The big cheer at full time, was as if they won. The proudness they get from that team. NZ is fantastic at sports, but if a team isn’t winning, people ask why waste your time go to games. People are embarrassed to admit they go to warriors games.

Lastly, credit to Australia who took a pay cut to play this game. NZ rugby league did everything try stop the games because it showed how badly the national team is supported. 12,000 kiwi vs OZ, 35,000 Tonga vs OZ.

I had this game taped and finally got round to watching it. Amazing atmosphere. You could see how moved the players were during the anthems.

Pity about the result but thought Australia were very clinical.

Great video from an Irish young lad who's just signed academy forms with the Giants.

• Advertisement

Really impressed by his attitude. He seems a good guy. Hope it works out well for him.

Rugby League Ireland will be streaming the game with Scotland on Saturday:

https://twitter.com/Irelandrl/status/1055916726326624257

Really impressed by his attitude. He seems a good guy. Hope it works out well for him.

Rugby League Ireland will be streaming the game with Scotland on Saturday:

https://twitter.com/Irelandrl/status/1055916726326624257

Great stuff, good to see Rugby League Ireland being proactive in promoting the game. I'll be watching anyway.

From 2pm on BBC One its the first of the three game series between England and New Zealand. Fancy the visitors to win that seeing as England are slightly understrength and the Kiwis reinvigorated.

Rugby league Ireland feed lasted less than a minute before it stopped working!

Wonder if there's something in the air though, because Northampton Town online feed was knackered for a while and boards was also down.

Oh, and England New Zealand is poor stuff so far, loads of errors.

Good second half, Kiwis will be kicking themselves, the better team, but England did enough and great defence near the end. Whitehead well worth MotM.

A piece here about Ed O'Keeffe. As a Galway Tribesmen supporter, very surprised that Ed and Murray Kinsella only had this much to say about his time with The Tribesmen. Could of added about him winning the Republic and All Ireland rugby league.

'However, when O’Keeffe returned to Ireland after the Italian season, he got involved in the summer domestic league programme, initially hoping to stay fit and match-sharp before realising he enjoyed the other code.'

https://www.the42.ie/ed-okeeffe-rugby-league-ireland-limerick-4308131-Oct2018

I managed to catch a stream on Youtube of the Ireland/Scotland game but the audio and visual quality was poor and to make matters worse the stream ended at the first half. :pac:

Good result though with Ireland winning 36-10. Next Saturday they play France who just beat Wales 54-18 so it could be a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭charkee

RE The Ireland international.

Rugby league no interest in promoting in Ireland.

I live not too far from Morton stadium and there was not even a sign up in advance,

I would have gone ,had I known

charkee wrote: »
    RE The Ireland international.

Rugby league no interest in promoting in Ireland.

I live not too far from Morton stadium and there was not even a sign up in advance,

I would have gone ,had I known

Frustrating to hear, I suppose their funds mean they just don't have any money for any kind of advertising? Not sure how much a few signs dotted around the vicinity would have cost though.

The BBC website is showing Ireland vs France apparently.

https://twitter.com/Irelandrl/status/1058412295917891585

• Advertisement

The BBC website is showing Ireland vs France apparently.

https://twitter.com/Irelandrl/status/1058412295917891585

Did it work okay? Looked like France were comfortable winners, only going by the final score though.

Advertisement