Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Steak Thread SEE OP

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭testaccount123

TomCo wrote: »
    I've read that an hour is enough time for the juices to be reabsorbed, any less than that and the meat will just be wet and hard to sear because salt draws out the moisture.

I just dry the outside of the steak on both sides with paper towel and throw some salt on it just before going in the pan

I dont get this, are you talking about the meat re-absorbing its juices before cooking?

Good dry aged beef is dry to the touch already

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

Personally I think Hereford beef is superior to Angus.

Ah now.....i'd take a bet that you wouldn't tell the difference, il give ya good odds.

This is like the lads on the restaurant show trying to guess the wines. Not a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

I dont get this, are you talking about the meat re-absorbing its juices before cooking?

Good dry aged beef is dry to the touch already

Yeah, if you leave salt on a "wet aged" steak for a few minutes it starts drawing out the moisture.

Wouldn't be seeing many good dry aged steaks on bargain alerts :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Irish Flat Iron Steaks 300g - Lidl Thurs 8th Oct - Sun 11th Oct - € 3.00

• Registered Users Posts: 51,118 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

vicwatson wrote: »

Good value. That's 10.5 ounces.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,839 ✭✭✭✭rob316

vicwatson wrote: »

Oh my god yes, my absolute favourite steak. That's a ridiculous price for it, its usually €4.99

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Dubl07 wrote: »
    Aldi does Angus beef, Lidl does Hereford. I much prefer Angus.
    I prefer Hereford, more flavour but Angus is more popular because they are ready for the butcher earlier - more profit!
    It is because it is considered the best cut that it is more expensive -Supply versus demand

couple of reasons why it is considered "better" by the majority

It looks more attractive , both raw and cooked
    It is easier to cook
    It is more consistent than other cuts
    A cheap fillet steak from an old cow or something will still be ok
    Cooked badly it still tastes good
    A lot of people don’t actually like to much flavour in their meat.

But ask any meat expert/Chef or meat enthusiasts about flavour they will tell you fillet is bland

Same with really cheap and difficult to cook cuts like beef cheeks

Same applies to Chicken breasts , but I defy anybody to make a curry or casserole with thigh meat and tell me that it is nicer with breasts
    Yet thigh meat is 3/4 the price per KG than Breasts.
    True, I usually go for Fillet in some place that I'm not sure of, because it'll generally be good, but if I know a place is really good for steak then I'll go Rib eye or striploin or sirloin.
    T-Bone for the win though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    I prefer Hereford, more flavour but Angus is more popular because they are ready for the butcher earlier - more profit!

True, I usually go for Fillet in some place that I'm not sure of, because it'll generally be good, but if I know a place is really good for steak then I'll go Rib eye or striploin or sirloin.
    T-Bone for the win though!

Have to disagree. Hereford is too lean, cut for cut. The fat has the flavour. :)

T-bone is just too much meat for one meal, however great it might be!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

The 2 rib-eyes for €6 is great value but this weekend there is an extra 25% off all meat, fish and poultry in Lidl!! Got the 2 rib-eyes for €4.50 and a large fresh Irish chicken for €3.50 - the value is off the scale!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭firestarter51

byronbay2 wrote: »
    The 2 rib-eyes for €6 is great value but this weekend there is an extra 25% off all meat, fish and poultry in Lidl!! Got the 2 rib-eyes for €4.50 and a large fresh Irish chicken for €3.50 - the value is off the scale!!

That's my Sunday afternoon sorted
    Cheers for that

Have to disagree. Hereford is too lean, cut for cut. The fat has the flavour. :)

I much prefer lean meat myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Cheers for that is right, 2 rib eyes for €4.50 must be meat bargain of the year. Back to Lidl I go....:pac:

Might try the flat iron steaks too, how do people cook them to get the best result?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,412 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Dexter T-bones ,small cattle -small T-bone steaks nice and thick ....
    My fave is a good centre cut sirloin - cut thick - (about a pound in weight -) then cut in half (two portions ) - seasoned and grilled rare -

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭th283

Is the 25% off store specific? I haven't seen it advertised

th283 wrote: »

I'm asking the same question ?
    as I went to my lidl just now and it's €6
    €4.50 was too good to be true

• Registered Users Posts: 11,807 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Fx Buckley opened in Clondalkin. Some fantastic opening offers. Got 2 large fillet steaks for 12 euro. They were delicious.

• Advertisement

Musgraves have 5 for €25
    Very good size too

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭cal_chi

I'm asking the same question ?
    as I went to my lidl just now and it's €6
    €4.50 was too good to be true

Must be store specific...no reductions at either of my local lidl. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭byronbay2

th283 wrote: »

I only have 1 Lidl near me and I only go there at the weekend (Clashduv Road, Cork) but there is a giant sign outside with "25% off all meat, fish and poultry". Last weekend they had 25% of all fruit and vegetables. I assumed this applied to all Lidl supermarkets but could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

I only have 1 Lidl near me and I only go there at the weekend (Clashduv Road, Cork) but there is a giant sign outside with "25% off all meat, fish and poultry". Last weekend they had 25% of all fruit and vegetables. I assumed this applied to all Lidl supermarkets but could be wrong.

Just nipped over to the lidl in clashaduv myself. I got the last rib eye on the shop, 25% off so only paid 4.50. I also got the two Hereford sirloin steaks for 6.74. I'm delighted with life, it was some deal!

for anyone in the cork are, this place is definitely worth a visit, its wholesale prices for the public.
    the cork meat company and next door is a fish wholesaler also open to the public, i know its a steak thread but the have tuna steaks lol

https://www.facebook.com/THE-CORK-MEAT-COMPANY-305326601421/timeline/

https://www.facebook.com/TheGoodFishCompany?fref=ts

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Thought I was getting a great deal on Sirloin in Galway, but the butcher's prices were per half-kilo, not per kilo.
    Is this a standard practice by butchers?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I've never seen half kilo prices quoted, that sounds like a three card trick they're pulling. Unless the price was quoted per pound (450g)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭ Pablo Rich Illness

dilallio wrote: »
    Thought I was getting a great deal on Sirloin in Galway, but the butcher's prices were per half-kilo, not per kilo.

Not standard and I'd consider it sharp practice.

You know where not to buy your meat in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,316 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Where was this if you don't mind me asking? Sounds like the kind of place to avoid.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Butchers in westside id hazard a guess.
    All shiny and sparkling and have been fooling and riping of customers for years.

Advertisement