Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cricket in Ireland/Pimp your Club!!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 TheBaldyCoot

eBay Cricket Team are debuting against Bohs Cricket Team in the Park at 6.30pm Wednesday 23rd August 2006.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 double yellow

I just thought that I should mention that there is for anyone in the general area of Laois a cricket club just off the motorway (so is perhaps accessible to many people) near Portlaoise. It has recently been on RTE television (something not too many clubs can claim!!). It has shot up the divisions in recent years and is thriving for a midlands club. I live in Portlaoise and come from New Zealand but never played cricket competitively. I would like to join the club as it sounds like a great place but their success makes me wonder how welcome a person who hasn't picked up a cricket ball in maybe 15 years would be.

Anyhow here is the article which I feel is appropriate as it is all about the club. I am sure there is a website for the club out there but haven't been able to find it. I include though the newspaper article about the club and then below that contact details for this club.

Cricket club comes under the spotlight

PORTLAOISE Cricket Club was under the spotlight on RTÉ television last week. Thank God for Cricket featured the club in the ninth episode of Mono, RTÉ’s acclaimed inter-cultural series which brings the lives of Ireland’s diverse communities to the television screen.

The programme highlighted two important aspects of the club - its multi-national membership and its dramatic climb up the cricket pecking order in Ireland.

The programme gave an interesting insight into life in the club, how locals and non-nationals work and play together with only the fortunes of the club in mind. It looked at all facets of the club following members on the field of play, practicing and socializing. The behind the scenes shots gave a fascinating insight into the works of this progressive club.

At a time when rural cricket clubs are on the decline, Portlaoise has bucked the trend and from languishing in the lower realms of Irish now finds itself in the top division. This evolution is due in no small part to the ever-increasing numbers of nonnationals coming to live in the Midlands in recent years.

With new blood from countries such as India, Pakistan and Uganda Laois Cricket Club is able to hold its own on the cricket field with the best of them.

And while the club has benefited from this influx of new membership, the club has provided an introduction to a new community and country for the immigrants as it has provided them with a social outlet and a way to make new friends.

Activity: Cricket

Contact's Position: Team secretary

Phone1 (087) 2941821 (057) 8620637

Meeting Seniors: 6.30pm-9pm- Wed Juveniles: 6.30pm-9pm- Fri These times may vary . Please contact the above for further details

Wheelchair Friendly? Yes

Child Friendly? Yes

Member Adults: 60eur Juveniles: 10eur

Info Another contact is Tim Crowe (0502) 22569. The training takes place at the club grounds in Togher

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 yorkshire_blue

Anybody looking for a club in the southside of dublin ? Then why not consider Pembroke CC ? We've teams and net sessions to suit all standards, both Male and Female. Not to mention the social element of the club, which is pretty good, with a social mix of different nationalities. Drop me a message if your keen to play next year, and I can arrange to get you down to our winter nets sessions..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 piblo

Hey Warney why dont u join Clontarf Cricket Club next year there are five senior teams and everyone gets a game. I only joined 3 years ago and having the time of my life another guy who is 40 only joined last year and played many games this year for the 5ths who ended up winnind junior C. While on the subject does anyone know where we could play winter indoor nets we would pay of course.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

so lads, when is sign up for taverners teams for next season, i cant wait to put my name down ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Alan Smith

Does anyone no anything about any clubs in cork, id be an amateur , only playe dwith friends before, but id be interested in playing competitivley

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

Anyone play for phoenix?

I'm thinking about maybe playing again during the summer (not played since I was a kid) and phoenix is just down the road :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 stretchticles

Any movement with the Boards C C thought?

curently playing in clontarf!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

played with balbriggan for about 8 years then gave up

hoping to get back playing this season

Any movement with the Boards C C thought?

ooh, really?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Is there any info on Knockharley CC, near Kentstown, Co. Meath? Nearly nothing on the intarweb about them, save for when other clubs played them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Helix wrote:
    played with balbriggan for about 8 years then gave up

hoping to get back playing this season

Managed to play one game for Balbriggan last year. Will be lucky if I even get that this year:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭mikeruurds

I'm moving to Blackrock soon and wouldn't mind doing a bit of bowling in the nets.

Would there be much call for net bowlers at Sandyford cc?

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 stretchticles

regi wrote:
    ooh, really?

priceless response!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 yorkshire_blue

Mike if your in Blackrock and fancy doing some net bowling, Pembroke are netting in St Andrews in Booterstown every Sunday from 2-4. If you fancy coming down you'd be more than welcome.

Anybody else who fancies coming down and replicating Ireland world cup success, then feel free to drop me an email guy@cricket.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Warney

For anyone down the country there is a team in Mount Juliet in Kilkenny, almost all games are friendlies though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭12bore

There's also a club in Bagenalstown, halfway between Kilkenny and Carlow. We play league cricket, currently in middle A. Seconds play in junior league. We will also have a kids team this year.

New players are more than welcome. Nets start towards the end of April, Wednesday nights at around 6.30. Cricket club is right beside pitch and putt course.

Mike if your in Blackrock and fancy doing some net bowling, Pembroke are netting in St Andrews in Booterstown every Sunday from 2-4. If you fancy coming down you'd be more than welcome.

Anybody else who fancies coming down and replicating Ireland world cup success, then feel free to drop me an email guy@cricket.ie

That's great! I'll be moving across town mid-April and I'll definitely be in touch.

Cheers
    Mike

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

http://www.balbriggancc.com/fulcrum.html?ep=5

Might get a few more games this summer myself

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cloughy

well if you are living in blackrock, why not join the club which has 3 current members of the irish team, including the O'Brien brothers in railway union in sandymount.

check out the website:

www.railwayunioncc.com

We have 5 mens teams competing the league over the summer,

• Advertisement

cloughy wrote:
    well if you are living in blackrock, why not join the club which has 3 current members of the irish team, including the O'Brien brothers in railway union in sandymount.

check out the website:

www.railwayunioncc.com

We have 5 mens teams competing the league over the summer,

At 29 I'm getting a little over the hill :D I'm really just keen on starting off getting some bowling in the nets.

I'll gladly bowl in the nets at both clubs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Zeuz

I moved here form South Africa and brought up playing Cricket my Whole life, havnt played for about 3 years

I have all my equipment still and its a shame to put it to a waste

I read through this thred but its all scattered info....

can any one recomend some erre I can join? I am in Donabate

and would like some were that I can practice play a game here and there and have good fun ?

please and thank you :D

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Donabate isn't far from both The Hills or North County clubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭cgf

Taking Pimping your club(s) a step toooooo far

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/6484367.stm :eek: :eek: :eek:

The bould Mr. D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭TrueDub

cgf wrote:
    Taking Pimping your club(s) a step toooooo far

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/cricket/6484367.stm :eek: :eek: :eek:

The bould Mr. D

That's Willy D alright, formerly of CYM and Phoenix, now of The Hills. A top bloke.

Incidentally he was given the shirt by one of our travelling party who bought it in Ochee, but felt he wouldn't be able to wear it in Ireland. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Just a mention for Lismore CC in the beautiful wooded west waterford

http://www.liosmor.com/Lismore_Cricket_Club.html

Can't think of more perfect spot for a game really.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Zeuz

So the Hills Cricket club.. any one from there??

does any one know if they are looking for players.. I am 18 going on 19 in July
    in donabate

or can any one from any other club recomend some were or know of some were to Join ?
    or clubs looking for new members.. pretty much any were. Preferably in the North Co.Dublin

Advice much appreciated ;)

Adam

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

Lismore was where I used to play, beautiful town and grounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Paddy Geoghegan

mike65 wrote:

Mike.

Please note the change of url for Lismore Cricket Club, and thank you for visiting. webmaster@liosmor.com
    http://www.liosmor.com/lismorecricket.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

im in castleknock, phoneix should be closest,
    im 22, havent played since i was 17-18 [in bevidere]
    just wanna join somewhere for the laugh and fun, any recommendations.
    think il be working fulltime though

Advertisement