Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Boots needed

• 15-11-2020 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭

Hi

My very old Viking Rambler all leather boots have finally given up the ghost. I've had them a long time and were worth the investment.

Now, I'm looking for tips on a new pair. It looks like my old pair aren't available any more in their current format.

All weather, long hikes/treks very waterproof. I don't mind spending a few quid.

Any tips?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I've never even heard of that brand of boots, they must be old! I'm not sure you'll get that long out of more modern boots.

In our hiking club, Meindl would be by far the most common brand of boot used in Winter and very wet conditions. Most people will have a lighter Summer boot also, and those will be more varied - popular would be Salomon, Lowa, Scarpa and a few others. Some people will wear the Meindls all year around, but the trend seems to be towards lighter boots where possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Thanks hmmm for the advice there. I'll begin my shopping/Christmas wish list :)

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

Zamberlans. Hand crafted sexy Italian foot cushions.

Zamberlans. Hand crafted sexy Italian foot cushions.

Decent reviews on Google

• Registered Users Posts: 21,404 ✭✭✭✭Alun

My experience of Italian boots is that they tend to be a bit on the narrow side.

Also, while I have no problems with buying boots online if it's a repeat purchase and exactly the same model and size as a pair you already have, I'd never recommend buying them blind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,574 ✭✭✭✭josip

I have a 20 year old pair of Meindl Makalus that are going strong

They're not light, but at times I feel like I could walk through anything and the grip is fantastic.
    You can also get them factory resoled for about €100-120, so if you're happy with the fit, you can keep them forever.

Thanks for all the replies folks. My better half got me a pair of Mendels for Christmas. I've been out in them and they are smashing. Agreed that they are slightly tighter than my same sized previous pair of boots but that's even better as my old pair were probably a tiny bit large.

Advertisement