Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Police Certificate

Options
  • 17-05-2017 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Just getting everything together for my application and have a question about the certificate.
    Im from Clare but I have been living in London for 7 years. 
    Will I need a police cert from both or will Ireland be ok. My dad is trying to sort out getting it for me back home and wondering if I should get one here in London

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Nymeria

Hi filmfanb,

you will need a police cery from anywhere you have lived more than 6 months, so from Ireland and the UK.

Here is the link for the UK one - https://www.acro.police.uk/police_certificates.aspx - you can apply online, or by post and it should get sent out in a few weeks. You will need a scan of your passport, a passport sized photograph, and two forms of proof of address. I can't remember the cost, maybe £10 or something, unless you want the 2 day service which is £80. But usually it doesn't take too long.

For the Irish one, you need a Police Certificate Application Form (if you do a google search you can find a pdf online and print it out). I thought from reading online that I didn't need this, only a letter requesting a Garda Cert, but when I went to the Garda station they said I needed one, even though they didn't have any there! So I had to go off and print one out and come back...just letting you know to save yourself time you should fill it out beforehand.

You need to return it to your local Garda station, along with a photocopy of your passport, and usually a stamped addressed envelope (although I was able to collect mine as I was in a hurry). I'm not sure if they will allow your father to collect it, it may need to be sent out to your address.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Nymeria

Just another quick note on applying for the UK one -

They will also ask you for a character reference - I thought it would have to be a UK citizen, but it doesn't have to be, I used a friend from Ireland. there is a list of professions (doctor, lawyer etc) that you are supposed to use, and it has to be someone who has known you for more than two years. I ended up just using a friend of mine who worked in a bank, and they never even contacted him.

And also, if you are doing it online, make sure you have all the information when you start (dates and addresses you lived at in the UK, the scans of your passport and a passport sized photo, two proofs of address, and your laser card details to pay the fee), because it doesn't allow you to save the information and come back to it...if you have to go off and verify information (which I did), you will have to start from scratch all over again. Not fun.

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 filmfanb

Nymeria wrote: »
    Hi filmfanb,

you will need a police cery from anywhere you have lived more than 6 months, so from Ireland and the UK.

Here is the link for the UK one - https://www.acro.police.uk/police_certificates.aspx - you can apply online, or by post and it should get sent out in a few weeks. You will need a scan of your passport, a passport sized photograph, and two forms of proof of address. I can't remember the cost, maybe £10 or something, unless you want the 2 day service which is £80. But usually it doesn't take too long.

For the Irish one, you need a Police Certificate Application Form (if you do a google search you can find a pdf online and print it out). I thought from reading online that I didn't need this, only a letter requesting a Garda Cert, but when I went to the Garda station they said I needed one, even though they didn't have any there! So I had to go off and print one out and come back...just letting you know to save yourself time you should fill it out beforehand.

You need to return it to your local Garda station, along with a photocopy of your passport, and usually a stamped addressed envelope (although I was able to collect mine as I was in a hurry). I'm not sure if they will allow your father to collect it, it may need to be sent out to your address.
    Great thanks for that. 
    I will sort out the English one then today! 
    I havent lived anywhere but London for more than six months since I left home at 18 so maybe I can get away with an English one.

Advertisement