Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Property Developers have YOUR money!!

Options
13»

Comments

Have a look at the dates in this thread - very telling

Pensions is the next big thing - try look after your future retirements, i foresee alot of problems

• Registered Users Posts: 18,393 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Pensions is the next big thing - try look after your future retirements, i foresee alot of problems

Hindsight is 20/20
    Still, not one Irish depositor has lost one cent as a result of a bank failing...........
    Tax payers on the other hand.........well.........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that house prices aren't falling or that developers won't get into trouble (some of them already are). But Irish banks have a sizable exposure to mortgages (VERY safe....again in the UK early 90s situation, mortgage loans written off were less than 0.2% of total). And lending to developers is not a total dead duck - the bank has the land as collateral, and the developer will have to put some money up front himself. So if the bank sells the land for say (I'm guessing) 80% of its appraised value, they'll probably get most of their cash back.

Finally, just in case we all jump off a cliff in a state of depression, the Irish consumer is extremely robust right now. At least for now the residential construction problems look fairly contained, and slack is being taken up by infrastructure construction. Irish unemployment remains low, wage growth is strong and interest rates are low by historic standards. Yes, their will be casualties, but life will go on for the banks. That's their business model -- they write loans knowing that some of them will go bad.

The Irish banks appear to be prudently funded, with a much better duration match between their funding and their customer loans. In fact they don't need to look for funding for the rest of the year.

Hope this helps / clears up a few things. But I expect I'll be attacked by the end of the world-ers for my comments.

'Appear' really is the operative word in that second last paragraph.

I hope Infinity & Beyond comes back to revisit this analysis in the light of what's happened since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Treehouse72

Absolutely....where the hell was Morgan Kelly before October 2007?

Advertisement