Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What are my options [IEC]

Options
  • 07-05-2017 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Not sure if this actually warrants its own thread so if not Mods please feel free to delete/merge etc.

Basically last year i applied and successfully received a letter of admission to Canada through the IEC visa application process but unfortunately I am still not quite ready to make the move just yet as I am waiting to get a (hopefully quite substantial) bonus in work in August. That letter however is due to expire on the 20th of this month, I have been trying to find out any information i can online and as far as I can see there is no way to get this extended, is that correct?

Is there any point in calling the Canadian Embassy to see if there is anything they can do? If not and that letter expires will i have any issue applying for a new visa seeing as i was already granted one and didn't use it?

Obviously this is not an ideal situation but I would like to use the bonus to help starting up over in Canada and don't want to miss out on it when I have worked all year for it either?

Any information or advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Nymeria

Hi OP,

As far as I'm aware, they will not extend the date on a POE letter, and you do not get issued with a second one, even if you fail to use the first.

The only option would be to try and get a cheap flight (try wow air, they do cheap flights to Toronto), and fly over for a short holiday to activate your visa.

The only problem with this is that you would have to buy insurance to cover you for a 2 year period, as I have read that without proof of travel insurance they may refuse to give you the visa.

From reading the Canada board it seems to be a fairly common occurrence. And now that the visas are for 2 years, you will still have a good bit of time in Canada when you go back.

Hope that helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Oh God really, there is no way i can fly to Canada between now and the 20th of this month!??

Is that really my only option? If i let my POE letter expire can i not apply for another visa for next year? :(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Oh God really, there is no way i can fly to Canada between now and the 20th of this month!??

Is that really my only option? If i let my POE letter expire can i not apply for another visa for next year? :(:(:(

Yep that's it. The rules are quite clear, you have one participation and one year to activate the visa, and receiving a letter of invitation counts as participating in the program.

I am aware of some people who slipped under the radar and got a second IEC, or if you have a British Passport then you could try and apply under that. Nothing is guaranteed though.

Crap... that is not good news! :( Thanks for the info though!

So my only way in now realistically is to try and get hired from here now and hope the hiring company would sort out a sponsorship visa?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Crap... that is not good news! :( Thanks for the info though!

So my only way in now realistically is to try and get hired from here now and hope the hiring company would sort out a sponsorship visa?

That's one option. You can also apply for Permanent Residence without sponsorship. It would cost ballpark 1500-2000 euro.

• Advertisement

That's one option. You can also apply for Permanent Residence without sponsorship. It would cost ballpark 1500-2000 euro.

You can do that? without having ever lived there or worked there previously? interesting!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

You can do that? without having ever lived there or worked there previously? interesting!

You can under Express Entry but your odds are slim if you have no prior work experience in Canada or a fairly hetfy recommendation. Its definitely helps to have had work there or to be married to a citizen as this all adds points to your score.

For the money it would cost you, even if fly there for a weekend, you'd be better off activating the visa.

Advertisement