Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

US Visa - entering through Mexico?

Options
  • 13-03-2019 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭

My partner and I are going to both Mexico and NYC this August and I'm familiar with the process for getting a visa for the US trip, doing immigration in Shannon or Dublin etc. The problem is that I'll be flying from Dublin the Manchester, Manchester to Cancun and then entering the US 9 days later flying from Cancun to NYC (and subsequently flying home from there).

Does anyone have any idea of what we need to do visa-wise for America to ensure no hassle (and mexico for that matter). Is it just a case of applying for tourist visas ahead of time and doing immigration when we land or does the country we enter through play any part?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,327 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If you enter the US by air with an Irish passport, you need to apply for ESTA approval, it doesn't matter where you're coming from. Can't help you with the Mexico formalities.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Runaude

Chances are you have never had a US visa and won't require this one this time. Irish citizens are allowed to travel on the visa wavier program thus you don't require a visa to visit the US. You also don't require a visa to visit Mexico under 180 days. If you are entering the US by air you are required to apply for an ESTA 72 hours before your flight if traveling with an Irish passport. If you are going to enter the US by land through Canada or Mexico you do not need to apply for an ESTA.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Accidentally

Runaude wrote: »
    Chances are you have never had a US visa and won't require this one this time. Irish citizens are allowed to travel on the visa wavier program thus you don't require a visa to visit the US. You also don't require a visa to visit Mexico under 180 days. If you are entering the US by air you are required to apply for an ESTA 72 hours before your flight if traveling with an Irish passport. If you are going to enter the US by land through Canada or Mexico you do not need to apply for an ESTA.

You'll need an i94. To take the hassle out of it you can prefill the details below about a week before you go through the crossing, using the link below. About €4 from memory

https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/apply-document

• Registered Users Posts: 25,327 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You'll need an i94. To take the hassle out of it you can prefill the details below about a week before you go through the crossing, using the link below. About €4 from memory

https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/apply-document

OP is flying from Cancun to NYC. It clearly says on that website that it's not relevant when arriving by air or sea.......

For Land Border Crossings Only (Not Air/Sea)

This CBP webpage says that 'Air and Sea travelers will be issued I-94s during the admission process at the port of entry.' See the left panel....

https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home

• Registered Users Posts: 16,472 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Did a similar trip for my honeymoon a few years ago.
    We just did ESTA for US entry.

Mexico was a Landing card filled out on the plane, stamped on arrival and a tear off kept by passengers.
    The tear off was then returned with the payment of the Exit Tax on Departure.(Lot of UK operators are including this now but AFAIK TUI don't)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Standard ESTA needed here. Done it via Canada myself, no issue once ESTA record exists

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Cheers for the replies folks.

Have travelled to the US a number of times as a kid and did a J1 in 2008 but haven't entered since, partner has never been so between us we're ignorant of the ins and outs! So we both just register for ESTA well ahead and then board the flight seems to be the consensus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Thanks all.

Advertisement