Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cheaper Tracer 900

• 07-03-2019 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭

So, I decided to sell my bike a year ago but the downpipes went and had loads of hassle getting them changed. Good to go now I just need to figure out what bike to get. I had decided on a Vstrom or Versys 650 but I think I would like something a bit more powerful and exciting.

The Mt09 looks great but I would really like something you can put hard luggage on the sides of. Going by Givi's website this massively reduces the options.

The Tracer 900 seems to literally be exactly what I want but its too expensive.

The bikes I would like to try and out buy would be Street triple, duke 690, 950 SM but none of these will take panniers and the KTM's would probably not be great for doing any distance, two up riding or generally being very practical.

The Vstrom 1000 could be a good option but it seems a bit practical/boring compared to something like an MT09 which is more of a hooligan type bike.

Someone suggested an FZ01 which does tick a lot of boxes but it looks like for general riding around town and the likes it will also be boring as to be in high revs in second gear you are going really fast. This is a complaint I would have about my cbr600, getting up in the revs means going really fast which is ok at times when its safe but the majority of the time is not possible/unsafe.

Maybe I should just give up on panniers as this would solve the problem I just would like to be able to go somewhere with my girlfriend on the bike and lock helmets in the panniers rather than having to carry them around, when say doing a 10k hike.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Make a list of what you want.
    Power/comfort/pillion/exciting/not boring/practical/hooligan/hard luggage.

Rank them in terms of most wanted to least wanted.

Then choose the bike that best suits you.

It will probably be a compromise but that's life and you can always make the bike suit you by adding what you need/want.
    Vstrom 650 is a nice engine probably nicer than the 1000 but for two up it won't be ideal.
    The Fazer/FZ01 has plenty of torque, much more than a CBR600 which is all revs no torque.
    You can short shift it and ride the torque rather then revving it like a 600.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,092 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Here you go.
    Ready to go and all.
    Price is too high though and would be probably slow to shift on if you were trying to sell it down the line.
    I wouldn't mind having it myself.
    https://www.donedeal.ie/motorbikes-for-sale/cagiva-navigator-1000/20302421

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mamax

rowanh wrote: »

The Tracer 900 seems to literally be exactly what I want but its too expensive.

Any ideas?

Did anyone see the cfmoto bikes at the rds at the weekend ?
    I never knew they even existed but the 650mt looks like a small tracer, if someone had put a yamaha badge on it I wouldn't have been able to tell the difference.
    I was chatting to 2 guys there that seemed very interested in it and both said they would do some research on them and possibly buy one
    http://www.cfmoto.com.au/650mt-abs

650mt.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 33,866 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Luggage, good two-up and the triple engine has lots of low down torque

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Vfr 800 or 1200? Triumph tiger 1050

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,611 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Have to tried riding any of the bikes you say are boring.

I'd probably start there .

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭rowanh

listermint wrote: »
    Have to tried riding any of the bikes you say are boring.

I'd probably start there .

No, I tried having a go of a Vstrom in JP motors but they were a bit awkward with it saying I could go around the block on it and then I called in a couple times to do this and they hadn't gotten it and and said come back another time. I went to Bike world to try a Versys they had and I was told I needed to bring my insurance policy stating I was insured to ride other bikes. A guy in work has a Vstrom and said I could have a go of his I should take him up on it. I went into Megabikes yesterday and spoke to Robbie there who was was very open to me taking out a couple bikes to try out, they have a KTM 990 SMT which I like the look of and a couple Tracers which are a bit expensive but maybe could be stretched to. Moto4u have a FZ1 which I might try out too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

rowanh wrote: »
    No, I tried having a go of a Vstrom in JP motors but they were a bit awkward with it saying I could go around the block on it and then I called in a couple times to do this and they hadn't gotten it and and said come back another time. I went to Bike world to try a Versys they had and I was told I needed to bring my insurance policy stating I was insured to ride other bikes. A guy in work has a Vstrom and said I could have a go of his I should take him up on it. I went into Megabikes yesterday and spoke to Robbie there who was was very open to me taking out a couple bikes to try out, they have a KTM 990 SMT which I like the look of and a couple Tracers which are a bit expensive but maybe could be stretched to. Moto4u have a FZ1 which I might try out too.

I was going to reply yesterday, had it typed then didn't post. So here's an edited version.

You obviously live in Dublin, forget the KTM. Your heart will be broken when its stolen, and after spending a fortune on the thing you'll wish you had fire & theft on your policy so its stolen.

The DL1000 Vstrom is a fantastic bike, you said something about riding a hooligan bike. That's all well and good if you can ride like a hooligan, but most can't. If you're coming from a 650 almost any liter will take you way beyond your limits.

The FZ1, I'll be honest with you I love the Fazers (except the 600). Brilliant bikes and that one in Moto is about on dealership money (but the original pipe looks like crap), pity there's no luggage with it.

The MT09 look great online but their built quality is rubbish. IMO the whole MT range build quality is crap, they're obviously built to a budget to undercut someone else. It tells in the plastics and graphics.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭fatbast

I have a dl1000 in case you wanted to try one, also have a ktm1190 adventure which is a seriously fast bike. My son has an smt which is a great all rounder. Selling a BMW k1200s with luggage 08 bike good condition , might be worth a look !

Advertisement