Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Good Entry Level Electric Guitar?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,223 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Yamaha Pacifica 112.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 News Carver

why do you say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,223 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Really well made. Perfectly set up right out of the box. Reliable. Nice action. Good range of sound options. Underpriced, compared to similar offerings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭noby

Squire is Fender's 'budget' range, but are good guitars in their own right. A Squire would be a perfectly good guitar.
    Of the ones you linked to, the two Teles are semi-hollow body, so a slightly different sound to a straight tele. I used to own the Fender one, and they're a really nice guitar. One added bonus of the semi-hollow is that you can strum them away without plugging in the amp, and you'll get a little more volume from them.

As for what model is best, go for one that you like the look of, or that the musicians you like tend to play.

As endacl said, check out the Yamaha range - really good, affordable guitars. The Vintage range get good reviews too. Heck even the budget Harley Benton type are improving all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Septic tank

+ 1 for the Yamaha Pacifica. Good versatile beginner guitar. It’s a personal choice though so probably best to go into a shop and plug a few in and get a feel for what you like

• Advertisement

That's awesome guys

To be honest I'm big on aesthetics and not mad about how the Yamaha looks - fickle me lol

I always liked the 'look' of a Telecaster, Jaguar or indeed an SG

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

That's awesome guys

To be honest I'm big on aesthetics and not mad about how the Yamaha looks - fickle me lol

The Pacifica is a great guitar, but given you have a bit of a budget, getting something you like the look of and enjoy more is important!

The Squiers are very good. Their classic vibe range are very well regarded (I have 2!). So they are definitely an option. That Fender Modern Player Telecaster looks awesome and I'd be very tempted by that. As for the differences between the Fenders and the Squiers. Largely the factory they are built in, and perhaps you could say the squiers parts aren't quite as good. But blindfold an experienced guitarist and put two standard Telecasters in their hands and I bet they wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Do keep in mind that you need an amp as well, you can pick up quite good practise amps for the sub 200eur price range these days. Perhaps that will dent your budget a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Wouldn't choose a Yamaha Pacifica 112, perhaps one of their upper models, the 411 or 611 VFM maybe.
    The problem with any 'non' Fender/Gibson, or even non Ibanez/Epi's is the resale demand/value will be always be lower.

The Fender Squires (strat/teles) can be very, very good (except for the cheapest Chinese Affinities).
    Bought an old (used but as new) Indonesian Squire Tele, and it's well worth double the price I paid for it.
    Full width body and string-thru for great sustain.

If you get a non-Chinese Squire, can use spare change for amps and fx.
    Bought a cheap VoxAmpi Blues2 (headphone amp), again worth double it's price.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Septic tank

They’re both made in Mexico teles so build wise will be similar. The player series was released the middle of last year. You’re probably just looking at a difference in tone but maybe someone with a bit more experience of the tele range will advise better.

• Advertisement

LAST question :)

Both are Fenders - which one is better considering there's only 50 quid in the difference?

Both nice guitars, the single coils are more in-line with traditional Teles, and everyone likes a slightly 'hot' coil these days.

Although again, some folks might prefer the lighter semi hollow body on the humbucker model.

One subtle bonus on the single coil spec is 'shielded body cavities'.

This (copper shiled) down behind the pups is a real bonus (reduces amp humming), and is a fiddily upgrade to perform if you haven't got it already. So may be better long-term investment.

Guessing these are both made in China? Might be fine, as they're getting better all the time, US/Mex/Kor and even Indo models may hold a higher status (often just a notion) but may also affect longer-term re-sale value.

TBH have never bough a 'new' guitar, always 2nd hand (with standard quality checks) and thus at half-price.
    Would only ever buy new if travelling to the US/Can again on good fx rates, and had space in cabin to bag it into an overhead space.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The 495 one is a semi hollow body guitar. You can see in the picture that there is an "F" hole above the pickup. This should affect sustain and the tone of the guitar. It also has different pickups which are P90's. These are perhaps a bit warmer sounding. It also has more controls than the other, 2 volumes and 2 tones. This means that you can select both pickups at the same time and blend them, as well as changing individual tones to get whatever sound you're looking for.

The 549 is a classic Tele. It is designed as the original in 52 was. That is two single coil pickups and one volume, one tone and a 3 way pickup selector. If you like classic telecaster sounds then this one will give it. Twangy bridge and boomy neck, with a lovely in between.

As for which to go for, there is no answer here. All personal taste. The hollow body would grab my attention though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

The Standard Tele is no longer available (out of stock on the link) and has been replaced by the Modern Player which is a much much much better guitar, I know cause I have both.

The difference is the build quality, old Mexican Strats were built in Mexico, the Modern Players range is assembled in Mexico, assembled vs built being the key difference. All the parts come from California and are the same pasts as those on the professional series (save for the pickups and tremolo). Frets are finished better in the MP Series, the painting is of a higher quality ect. The really are a bargain considering the price you used to have to pay for the American Made Fenders in years gone by.

Squire are good (esp the classic vibe series) but if you got the cash for Fender, and want a Fender... then go git yo'self a Fender

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭wild turkey

What type of music do you listen to / want to play? It would be a good place to start in making a choice .

There are a lot of very good cheap guitars out there at the minute and as others have said you will have to allow for an amp and personally I would rather have a cheaper guitar and a good amp than the other way around.

Have a look on thomann.ie, you'll have a better choice and most products have reviews Their Harley Benton range are very good for their budget price . Their 52 tele is the guitar I play most and are very close to the classic vibe Squiers for half the price .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

if you got the cash for Fender, and want a Fender... then go git yo'self a Fender

This.

I get the impression you won't be happy otherwise, and it's a great feeling having the one you really want, even if other brands offer as good for less...

• Registered Users Posts: 19 elric

The Standard Tele is no longer available (out of stock on the link) and has been replaced by the Modern Player which is a much much much better guitar, I know cause I have both.

The difference is the build quality, old Mexican Strats were built in Mexico, the Modern Players range is assembled in Mexico, assembled vs built being the key difference. All the parts come from California and are the same pasts as those on the professional series (save for the pickups and tremolo). Frets are finished better in the MP Series, the painting is of a higher quality ect. The really are a bargain considering the price you used to have to pay for the American Made Fenders in years gone by.

Squire are good (esp the classic vibe series) but if you got the cash for Fender, and want a Fender... then go git yo'self a Fender

You are mixing up the Modern Player with the Player series. What you've described is the Player series which was introduced last year to replace the Standard series.

The Modern Player series was a range of Chinese made instruments with variations from the typical Fender designs. This was introduced in 2011, and was discontinued a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

elric wrote: »
    You are mixing up the Modern Player with the Player series. What you've described is the Player series which was introduced last year to replace the Standard series.

The Modern Player series was a range of Chinese made instruments with variations from the typical Fender designs. This was introduced in 2011, and was discontinued a few years ago.

Your right, I did... I'll check remove "modern" from my post!

However same still applies, the existing Mexican models were discontinued last year and reintroduced as the Player Series, and are a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Slightly off topic but I see the OP is looking to buy in Walton. Do they exist anymore? I've contacted them by filling out their enquiry form on their website, emailing them, Facebook messaging them, even tried ringing, and no reply at all. Not in Dublin so I can't visit them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

sugarman wrote: »
    They're closed their city centre store last year but still have a store in Blanchardstown SC retail park.

Thanks. Service doesn't seem good so.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Smashmouth

That's awesome guys

If you're into SGs, have you looked into the Epiphone g400 pro? I've heard an awful lot of good things about them and they can be got with a hard case for around €430 from Thomann. XMusic have them too for a slight markup if you wanted to try first.

https://www.thomann.de/ie/epiphone_sg_g400_ch_bundle.htm

Sesil wrote: »
    Agree, really good guitars for beginners.
    But not for someone who has played a bit before, with a budget of 4-500.

You could pickup a used mex/kor fender strat for that (with case), and sell it again if needed without any loss, as they hold their value almost eternally.

The same amount could get a quaility older Kor Epi (Unsung plant), with a decent 50w type amp included (mustang/core/valvestate) and change for a few accessories too.

Again if set on a Yamaha (which is fine) take a look at the 600 series, the 612 has SDs and coil splits, on used market circa 400.

Advertisement