Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hong Kong

Options
  • 28-01-2019 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭

So I’ve decided to go to Hong Kong. I was wondering if anyone might please have any tips? What would be good to see? What area of the city should I stay in(am there for a week). Any advice would be very much appreciated please.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Johnny Red Cab

What is your budget for accommodation? You can pay very big money or small money and that will decide where you stay.

Loads to see and do. Peak Tram, Victoria Harbour, night tours etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Plover dam near the border is worth a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

Here are five things to do to start you off:

1. The Peak: but do not take the Peak Tram as that is over too fast and most part is covered by bushes anyway. Take the 15 bus instead (in front of the IFC Mall). Cheaper and a real thrill ride. While on the Peak, do not pay to go on the Peak building and go the the roof of the Galleria (shopping centre) next to it. Roof top visit is free.
    2. The Hong Kong Museum of Coastal Defence is my favourite museum in Hong Kong. Despite the name it is covers the History of Hong Kong pretty well too.
    3. The Symphony of Lights each night at 8. First watch it from Avenue of Stars in Kowloon. For an alternative view, go to West Kowloon Art Park which is also worth a visit itself.
    4. There are two towers you can visit for free if you are into panoramic views from right inside the city:
    - the Bank of China building (announce yourself at reception; they will ask to see your passport)
    - IFC Tower two, the tallest one on the Island itself. Make your way to Hong Kong Monetary Authority near the end of the foyer of the tower (not the Mall next door). They have a permanent exhibition 2/3rds up the tower with nice views as an added feature.
    5. If you like the hustle and bustle of a open air market: head to the Ladies’ Market on Tung Choi Street every evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

What is your budget for accommodation? You can pay very big money or small money and that will decide where you stay.

Loads to see and do. Peak Tram, Victoria Harbour, night tours etc.

Thank you for your reply. I have paid a one euro deposit for a club room at hotel panorama by Rhombus in Kowloon which is 200 quid a night but that’s a bit expensive. Would be ideally looking for something around the 150 mark please.

Thanks for your replies everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Greg81

bigar wrote: »
    3. The Symphony of Lights each night at 8. First watch it from Avenue of Stars in Kowloon. For an alternative view, go to West Kowloon Art Park which is also worth a visit itself.
    4. There are two towers you can visit for free if you are into panoramic views from right inside the city:
    - the Bank of China building (announce yourself at reception; they will ask to see your passport).

Just small info for those 2 above.

ad3. Avenue of Stars is closed for renovation at the moment.

ad4. Bank of China viewing platform was closed for visitors last week.

• Advertisement

Greg81 wrote: »
    ad4. Bank of China viewing platform was closed for visitors last week.

A shame as the views were quite nice

poisonated wrote: »
    Thank you for your reply. I have paid a one euro deposit for a club room at hotel panorama by Rhombus in Kowloon which is 200 quid a night but that’s a bit expensive. Would be ideally looking for something around the 150 mark please.

Thanks for your replies everyone.

You should consider the T-Hotel. It is basically a five star hotel on the top floor of the Hotel and Tourism Institute, a school that trains young people for the hospitality industry. All staff are teenage students under teacher's supervision. Means all is a bit slower and you may need some patience. That is reflected in the price which makes it very cheap for what you get. It is located a bit out of town but there are regular busses and I believe they have shuttle busses into town as well. I stayed their twice and enjoyed it very much.

Prices change a lot and are not advertised on the website. They will reply to you with the price when you ask. For reference: first time I paid 85 EUR a night, second time 115 EUR.

http://www.thotel.edu.hk

Check the reviews on Tripadvisor if you want more info.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

Avenue of the Stars is actually opening up again tomorrow, been closed for the past 3 years though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Get yourself an Oyster card as soon as you arrive. Great for getting around.

We stayed in The Novotel in Kowloon on Nathan road. Good hotel beside the underground.

Take a trip on the Ding Ding trams on Hong Kong island from Kennedy to Causeway Bay. A great way to see the top of the island for a few Euro.

We stayed in the Fleming on Hong Kong island for the second half of our trip. A lovely, if pricey hotel for a treat.

Get down to the Chinese Visa office in Dublin early as there are long queues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Johnny Red Cab

Irish Citizens don't need a visa to visit Hong Kong. It has a separate immigration policy to mainland China.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Irish don't need visa for Hong Kong/Macau and can stay 144 hours visa free in China as long as they are in transit https://www.travelchinaguide.com/tour/visa/free-transit-144-hours.htm

Get yourself an Oyster card as soon as you arrive. Great for getting around.

We stayed in The Novotel in Kowloon on Nathan road. Good hotel beside the underground.

Take a trip on the Ding Ding trams on Hong Kong island from Kennedy to Causeway Bay. A great way to see the top of the island for a few Euro.

We stayed in the Fleming on Hong Kong island for the second half of our trip. A lovely, if pricey hotel for a treat.

Get down to the Chinese Visa office in Dublin early as there are long queues.

Sorry. We were travelling onward to inland China so we needed to get a visa for that part of our trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

Thanks again for replies. Have booked 2 nights in the Sheraton in Macau

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Lau2976

I wouldn’t do it my whole stay personally but I’d definitely recommend trying a capsule hotel (once your not claustrophobic!) similar to a hostel a bit and prices are fairly cheap. Just make sure you don’t do it a night you plan to drink. They are very quiet (at least the ones I tried) as most had business people in them and not tourists. It was a great experience though.

We stayed in Taipa just below Macau. You can travel by bus between them. The old town of Taipa is really lovely.

Guys, the bridge between HK and Macau has been opened. No need for ferry, though it could be more convenient in certain cases.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭XMG

Don't be tempted to take a taxi from the airport, use the airport express train, a quick, comfortable journey. Your luggage goes onto a rack beside the doors so sit in a seat that gives you a view of it. Never had any problems myself though.
    Get yourself a return ticket that includes 3 days of public transport, something like this:
    http://www.mtr.com.hk/en/customer/tickets/travel_pass_ael.html

Guys, the bridge between HK and Macau has been opened. No need for ferry, though it could be more convenient in certain cases.
    Bridge goes through Zhuhai to Macau. As Zhuhai is China, you need a visa. Visa on arrival is available as it's a special economic zone, but maybe still handier to use the ferry as you'll not need one at all.

Bridge goes through Zhuhai to Macau. As Zhuhai is China, you need a visa. Visa on arrival is available as it's a special economic zone, but maybe still handier to use the ferry as you'll not need one at all.

No, it doesn't. There is an artificial island that splits for Macau and Zhuhai. My brother lives in Macau and did the trip last week.

No, it doesn't. There is an artificial island that splits for Macau and Zhuhai. My brother lives in Macau and did the trip last week.
    Ah OK, I hadn't gone across yet so wasn't actually sure on that to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Mr.S wrote: »
    Ahh the ferry seems more fun then a bus :pac:

The helicopter is more fun!

Advertisement