Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Farmers 'could be given licences to grow cannabis

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,091 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You can grow it outdoors here yes. But it will be useless bush weed and your yields will be terrible. There's a reason that even in the countrys that have the correct climate for it the majority is still grown in grow houses.

You've more control in a greenhouse and easier get a lot higher yields. Your completely wrong on the majority of it growing outdoors. It grows fine here and is far from bush weed.
    It all depends on what specification the Government lay down for its cultivation, what pesticides etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,036 ✭✭✭✭neris

We have a friend growing it over in Lithuania not far outside Vilnius on his farm. However its only hemp at the moment as the requirements to get it turned into medical or food grade cannabis requires a lot of testing. Also the stuff growing doesnt have the stuff in it that gets you high. Its the same with the medical stuff been grown in Canada and the USA. One of the big growers in Canada is buying up thousands of acres in the baltics and poland to grow aswell so if they can do it no reason we cant do it here once its properly monitored and security is in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

You've more control in a greenhouse and easier get a lot higher yields. Your completely wrong on the majority of it growing outdoors. It grows fine here and is far from bush weed.
    It all depends on what specification the Government lay down for its cultivation, what pesticides etc.

I'm not completely wrong. She me a grow done outdoors here that would be of good enough quality for a dispensary or for medicinal use.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,690 ✭✭✭endainoz

Can you post a link to one of these fantastic seeds, strains so suited to our Irish climate or do you just automatically believe what you hear? Have the guards ever discovered anyone here in Ireland growing it outside?

That's possibly against the rules, but a quick search on Google for 'white skunk automatic outdoor' will show you that it is indeed possible. Indoor will always give a better yield of course, but outdoor growing is a thing in Ireland. Being a skeptic saying no flowering possible is simply not true.

Over the last ten years or so hybrid strains have been developed that are resistant to harsher climates, that being said, sunlight is still needed for them to flower like pretty much all things that grow on Earth.

Could this stuff be good enough for medical use? I'm not sure really, I'd imagine it could from an organic sense but I'm not a horticulturist.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭jh79

They'll have to adhere to GMP standards and will face the same regulations and therefore the same logistical hurdles as a pharma company. It's a very expensive process and would require lots of initial capital investment

This link shows a Cert of Analysis for Bedrocan. One of these would be required for every single batch produced. If the batch doesn't meet any one of the specifications it wouldn't be allowed on the market. If batches regularly failed to meet the specs they would lose the licence for not having full control over the process.

https://english.cannabisbureau.nl/doctor-and-pharmacists/documents/release-certificates-cannabis-flos-bedrocan/2019/01/21/18i10ey18k13

• Advertisement

If growing outside was possible / feasible the guards would be regularly finding grow sites. They're not. And..... Unfollow

You either tried and failed to grow outdoors or your incredibly naiive, plenty of outdoor growing in Ireland!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭jh79

Here is a very brief description of the process from the Bedrocan website.

https://bedrocan.com/about-us/our-method/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,244 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

I grow a share of hemp for fibre, seed and CBD oil.

THC is the psychoactive in dope but hemp doesn’t have any. It does however have CBD.
    I’m doubting that Harris etc would even dream of allowing the normal cannabis to be grown.
    Hemp does need hot weather to reach its potential.

Cops do keep a close eye on it as locals could hide some THC producing plants in the middle of the hemp because it looks exactly the same...
    More often planted in the middle of maize fields so as to benefit from irrigation.

endainoz wrote: »
    You either tried and failed to grow outdoors or your incredibly naiive, plenty of outdoor growing in Ireland!

Plenty? Where? Have you any pictures of the buds? Are they of sufficient quality?

Plenty? Where? Have you any pictures of the buds? Are they of sufficient quality?

Oh yeah what a great idea, let's post on a public website where people are growing something illegally!

• Advertisement

Oh yeah what a great idea, let's post on a public website where people are growing something illegally!

So no then.

So no then.

Would you like their names and addresses as well? I'm not going to post stuff that probably wouldn't be allowed by moderators, I doubt posting anything would change your mind either way, your not going to see someone taking a selfie with their crop like...

Would you like their names and addresses as well? I'm not going to post stuff that probably wouldn't be allowed by moderators, I doubt posting anything would change your mind either way, your not going to see someone taking a selfie with their crop like...

PM me instead so. You don't know any outdoor crops in Ireland that are of the same or even similar quality to an indoor grow because it isn't possible. Some people will argue it's not even possible in any country nevermind one that is severely lacking in vitamin d like Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Honestly, this is Ireland.

Do people think these licences would be given to ordinary farmers if there is big profit in it.

Larry et al wouldn’t have it shown up before the ink on the legislation was dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Grew hemp here in 2008 as a trial plot. 5 acres in total. Can’t rember the variety or breed. All I knew was there was no point smoking it. It grew to about 6.5 ft tall or a bit more. Sowed it using a standard one pass, no fertilizer. Knocked it baled it and sold it to a local Camp hill center for heating. The year after we set maize in the entire field. Where the hemp grew the year previously the maize on that side was 10/15 cms higher than where the hemp wasn’t grown..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

davidk1394 wrote: »
    Grew hemp here in 2008 as a trial plot. 5 acres in total. Can’t rember the variety or breed. All I knew was there was no point smoking it. It grew to about 6.5 ft tall or a bit more. Sowed it using a standard one pass, no fertilizer. Knocked it baled it and sold it to a local Camp hill center for heating. The year after we set maize in the entire field. Where the hemp grew the year previously the maize on that side was 10/15 cms higher than where the hemp wasn’t grown..

Baled green or dried ??
    Would it be any good for bedding ??

Would it have fixed nitrogen through the roots, is that why the following crop grew better ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭davidk1394

_Brian wrote: »
    Baled green or dried ??
    Would it be any good for bedding ??

Would it have fixed nitrogen through the roots, is that why the following crop grew better ?

Baled dry with a round baler. I think it was knocked using a ring roller. From my memory it was dusty once baled. Never used it for bedding but I’d say it’s the same as pea straw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

It is doable to grow outdoors but with all the vagaries your yields will tend to be poor. We just do not have the light and heat to get good vegetative growth but flowering occurs just like everywhere else ie. when the daylight goes less than around 12 hours depending on strain. Also, while hardy, the plants are still prone to pests: scale, whitefly... These stressors can make the plant go hermaphrodite which halts the flowering which is not wanted. The seeds from these are always female which is a small bonus if this happens.

The main reasons for not growing outdoors are quality control as TMP alludes to, but also if the female gets exposed to pollen (male and the enemy of growers) your flowering stops, so bad buds. Game Over!

I have grown in the past and had a small involvement in the then non-viable Hemp Ireland about 20 years ago (only demand was for horse bedding at the time).

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 746 ✭✭✭GinAndBitter

It can defo be grown outdoors here there is no question of that, I've had friends that had a plant or two in their back gardens in Dublin. Decent yield but i can't vouch for the quality of it because I didn't sample the goods myself.

One of the plants was a cheese.

tricky D wrote: »

I have grown in the past and had a small involvement in the then non-viable Hemp Ireland about 20 years ago (only demand was for horse bedding at the time).

I've read to make a decent income from the CBD oil you need 50 acers dedicated to it. Do you know what scale the guys are doing it here. Some of them seem to have other things going on like cheese etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

The Hemp Ireland I refer to folded almost 20 years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

Legalize, regulate, grow, (inside of course) tax.
    More revenue for the country / farmers, free up Gardai for other applications, cut down on criminals revenue.
    Its a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,843 ✭✭✭mf240

Will we hear farmers in marts up and down the country discussing the price of hash. And will the ifa have to get a couple of cents on every deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭feartuath

What would happen if any cattle broke in and proceeded to eat it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

No all year round but yes. We have enough time for 2 harvests depending on the summer. The further west and south the better.

We already grow hemp and it's 1st cousin Hops.

2 harvests of quality bud in one summer, in Ireland? Dream on . Even the hardiest of strains and autoflower strains don't grow properly Here. Not enough sunshine and too damp! You'll get buds alright but may as well be nettles you grow.

feartuath wrote: »
    What would happen if any cattle broke in and proceeded to eat it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

2 harvests of quality bud in one summer, in Ireland? Dream on . Even the hardiest of strains and autoflower strains don't grow properly Here. Not enough sunshine and too damp! You'll get buds alright but may as well be nettles you grow.

Ah but sure my neighbours brother knows someone who does it....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

This from wiki on cultivation requirements
    The optimal day temperature range for cannabis is 24 to 30 °C . Temperatures above 31 °C and below 15.5 °C seem to decrease THC potency and slow growth. At 13 °C the plant undergoes a mild shock, though some strains withstand frost temporarily.
    To generate optimum quantities of THC-containing resin, the plant needs a fertile soil and long hours of daylight. This means THC production for outdoor growth occurs optimally anywhere within 35° of the equator. Typical growing regions include Mexico, Nepal, Northern India, many parts of Africa, Afghanistan, the United States and Australia...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_cultivation

For commercial cultivation outdoors in Ireland that's a no...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

gozunda wrote: »
    This from wiki on cultivation requirements

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cannabis_cultivation

For commercial cultivation outdoors in Ireland that's a no...

Ive tried it for about 6 summers with multiple different strains, even during the long hot summer of 2013, no good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Stonewall Jackson

This thread is giving Guerilla growers all around the country a good laugh.

Advertisement