Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Calving 2019 - Advice and Help thread

Options
  • 09-01-2019 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭

Same as last year's thread. If anyone has any questions or calving advice to give don't hesitate to post. There is always someone having trouble with a breach or calf not sucking.

If regulars could keep an eye on this thread too that would be a great help, as for anyone else just looking if you have any info or help to share its very much appreciated. You will always learn something knew every calving season.

We haven't started calving here yet. First ones due mid February.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Had one born New Years Day, glad I went up again before bed seeing as the calf was just born and half way under a gate and the cow was getting distressed......Will be investing in a camera for next winters calvings for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 29,078 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Have a heifer in to calve now. Not supposed to be starting for another 10 days at least. Fingers crossed all is OK. Had all sheds ready which is a help.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,681 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I bought Glucose and Bread Soda in Dunnes Stores last week. Quick homemade electrolyte.

http://animalhealthireland.ie/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Recipe_for_Homemade_electrolytes.pdf

'The Bishops blessed the Blueshirts in Galway, As they sailed beneath the Swastika to Spain'

Not a great photo, but all is good. Daughter did the watching as I was away

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭High bike

I bought Glucose and Bread Soda in Dunnes Stores last week. Quick homemade electrolyte.

http://animalhealthireland.ie/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/Recipe_for_Homemade_electrolytes.pdf
    handy one to have Patsy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Angus2018

Had one born New Years Day, glad I went up again before bed seeing as the calf was just born and half way under a gate and the cow was getting distressed......Will be investing in a camera for next winters calvings for sure

The amount of times I've woke up at 4AM, checked the cameras and spotted a calf pushed into the next pen. Or worse when you finish a calving, head to bed, and then check the cameras to find she's pushed the thing under a gate.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,133 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Dropped into the local shop this morning and reminded the owner to stock up on bags of glucose.

Delivered a set of twins there now. First one was straight forward, second one had a leg bent back. Pair of aax heifers from a heifer all good

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

Had a separate post added when I saw this thread - probably better here ...... Mod can delete other thread if required (Maudlin' Calf - HELP)

Heifer calved 9 days ago (Galloway). Calf hasn't got going at all - had them in a shed for a week to give him a chance, and while he's feeding he's not getting full ..... stomach in front of the hind legs not filling out.

As a result he's maudlin' out in the field now, not following his mother around, quite listless and generally a right pain in the arse. Put them out in the field yesterday as another cow has calved and thought that the sight of the other calf running around the field like the Duracell bunny might kick-start him. No change.

Anyone got any recommendations on how to get a bit of an appetite on him to get him going?

lanod2407 wrote: »
    Had a separate post added when I saw this thread - probably better here ...... Mod can delete other thread if required (Maudlin' Calf - HELP)

Heifer calved 9 days ago (Galloway). Calf hasn't got going at all - had them in a shed for a week to give him a chance, and while he's feeding he's not getting full ..... stomach in front of the hind legs not filling out.

As a result he's maudlin' out in the field now, not following his mother around, quite listless and generally a right pain in the arse. Put them out in the field yesterday as another cow has calved and thought that the sight of the other calf running around the field like the Duracell bunny might kick-start him. No change.

Anyone got any recommendations on how to get a bit of an appetite on him to get him going?

Is he hungry? Does the cow have enough milk for him. How's his navel?

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »
    Is he hungry? Does the cow have enough milk for him. How's his navel?

He looks like he's not full - stomach sunken in, but he's not showing any sign of hunger - lethargic and no bit of a kick in him at all.
    I'd have to run the cow down the crush to check her milk - she's a first calver and the galloways are hairy cattle so hard to see how much of an udder she's got.
    What's the navel check?

He looks like he's not full - stomach sunken in, but he's not showing any sign of hunger - lethargic and no bit of a kick in him at all.
    I'd have to run the cow down the crush to check her milk - she's a first calver and the galloways are hairy cattle so hard to see how much of an udder she's got.
    What's the navel check?
    Is his navel dry? Make sure it's not smelly or hard. Did he drink soon after he was born?

Is his navel dry? Make sure it's not smelly or hard. Did he drink soon after he was born?

I'll check it out when I get home.
    He was a bit slow feeding when born and I got a litre of collostrum into him - took over a third of it sucking and had to get the rest in back his throat

He was a bit slow feeding when born and I got a litre of collostrum into him - took over a third of it sucking and had to get the rest in back his throat

Navel fine. Eyes not very alert - though it has been dark 2 hours. Greeny gunk on the duct of one eye

Cow & calf back in shed - vet tomorrow

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

How soon after birth did he get the litre and when did he get the rest?

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Navel fine. Eyes not very alert - though it has been dark 2 hours. Greeny gunk on the duct of one eye

Check his temperature

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

In addition to the other suggestions, I note its a heifers calf and was slow from birth. Makes me wonder if he was sick beforehand. Any stillbirths/abortions/infertility problems in the herd? Do you vaccinate for anything?

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

At this stage I'd probably get the vet to him or bring him to the vet. Did you check has she much milk?

Cow & calf back in shed - vet tomorrow

Any update

Any update

Vet this morning.
    Premature and heifer hasn't enough milk yet. Touch of pneumonia.
    Bottling him to supplement the milk.
    Still alive but lethargic as f***.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭White Clover

Vet this morning.

Keep a red lamp on him if you can and monitor temperature. Don't leave him get dehydrated either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭squinn2912

5 calved here all grand. 3/4 maiden heifers all needed help despite smallcalves. Easy with the jack. They’ve been getting a pinch of meal but not fat. I’d have expected them to calve themselves but no. Any ideas?
    5 heifer calves as well

Vet this morning.

The importance of adequate biestings soon after birth has to be adhered to. The calf will be on the back foot now for a while.

squinn2912 wrote: »
    5 calved here all grand. 3/4 maiden heifers all needed help despite smallcalves. Easy with the jack. They’ve been getting a pinch of meal but not fat. I’d have expected them to calve themselves but no. Any ideas?
    5 heifer calves as well

What minerals are they on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Noticed a massive difference in calves when i supplemented the water last year with iodine. Raring to go once they hit the ground (bar the ch with the stifle joint out!)

squinn2912 wrote: »
    5 heifer calves as well

If they are first time callers its only natural to need a hand. I calve my heifers April 1st onwards, so they get a month out on the grass before they housed to strengthen their legs and burn off winter fat. They end up much stronger and calve better than when they are locked up.

Licks are very important coming up to calving, maybe up their meal, you need to start about 3-4 days beforehand.

What minerals are they on

They’re on the pre calver ones. Cleaning quickly and everything

Nothing to worry about as long as the calves are up and sucking in a reasonable time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

Noticed a massive difference in calves when i supplemented the water last year with iodine. Raring to go once they hit the ground (bar the ch with the stifle joint out

How does this work, we have the drinkers in the shed? Just wondering how I would get it into every cow. Tks

• Advertisement

Angus2018 wrote: »
    Nothing to worry about as long as the calves are up and sucking in a reasonable time.

Yea they’re good, lively calves. New bull. The cows are able to spit out the calves. (Autumn calves so not like with like). One sluggish but he’ll be ok

Advertisement