Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Experiences/info on applying for mobility scooter +/or electric wheelchair from HSE

• 15-11-2018 10:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

My parents are now getting to the stage where they won't be able to push me in a wheelchair much longer. So I think I'll apply for a mobility scooter and/or electric wheelchair.

I'm interested to know of any knowledge people have or any people's experiences, particularly from people like me who are not paralysed (I have a long-term (decades old) chronic illness). I'm not sure what to ask about so all experiences welcomed both from people whose applications were accepted and from people who were turned down.

Is it true that they rarely give out mobility scooters? I had got that impression previously but perhaps things have changed.

To get an electric wheelchair, does one have to live in accommodation where it is suitable to use inside? The inside of our house wouldn't currently be suitable as the doorways are too small and I imagine it would be very expensive to adjust some doorways. I can survive by not walking around much: I haven't been upstairs in 19 years since we got a shower built downstairs for me.

Does one need letters from doctors stating the level of disability? And can these be private doctors? Do they have to be consultants or will GP do? I am not under any consultant now.

Comments

Advertisement