Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NBA Regular Season & Playoffs 2018-19 Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Gregk961

Hitch2222 wrote: »
    I had no specific figure in my head but any figure one would tell me had been gambled in a given domain wouldn't shock me at all at this stage.

Gambling companies prey on the vulnerable to a certain extent adjusting people's stake factor(multiple of punters max bet ie 1 means standard, 0.1 is 10% of standard and 4 is 400% standard).

On the topic of virtual gambling this is seen as shooting fish in a barrel. Someone starts hitting their max bet on virtuals and it's a quick bump in stake factor.

It's all quite pernicious behaviour, the bulk of punters dont fall beyond the standard but when they do, they put the squeeze on those who are hitting those max bets at bad prices

Oh yes I'm fully aware of bookies practices involving limiting punters etc. Just amazed that such a vast quantity of cash is thrown at virtual racing. I worked in a betting shop years ago and virtual racing, in my experience(Ireland 2014-15) was reserved 90%+ to problem gamblers.

Anyway apologies for the off-topic chat, I was just taken aback by that article!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1141688710666346498

Celtics letting Baynes walk as well, you'd hope that this is part of a plan by Ainge to either (a) free up cash to have a last-minute go at offering Horford a better deal or (b) making room to have a run at someone (Vucevic / Cousins/ someone else), or they're going to have a large hole in the centre of that roster...

nerd69 wrote: »
    What time does the draft kick off Irish time?

Around midnight I think, but there is a lot of filler

• Registered Users Posts: 19,527 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

All the usual media heads tweeting about there being a lot of trade activity expected during the trade, I'm willing to bet there'll be a couple small trades at most, just trying to hype it up for views.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Hitch2222

All the usual media heads tweeting about there being a lot of trade activity expected during the trade, I'm willing to bet there'll be a couple small trades at most, just trying to hype it up for views.

Yeah definitely, Top 3 looks certain. Biggest moves will be Pelicans moving 4 for Bradley Beal or whoever else they're linked with or Hawks packaging their two lottery picks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

Legion. wrote: »

Just saw this, some pieces of horsetrading:

Anthony Davis has turned into:

- Zion Williamson
    - Lonzo Ball
    - Brandon Ingram
    - Josh Hart
    - No. 8 pick in 19
    - No. 17 pick in 19
    - No. 35 pick in 19
    - L.A.' 21 pick if top 8
    - L.A.' 22 pick if not
    - L.A. swap in 23
    - L.A.' 1st in either 24 or 25

And got rid of Solomon Hill's contract.

Phoenix firstly traded TJ Warren (who was productive and on a very palatable 3yr/$35m contract) to Indiana for cash plus no.32 pick , and then swapped their no.6 pick with Minnesota for no.11 and Dario Saric.

My only concern (as a Bulls fan) is that Forman and Paxson are sat there thinking "how can we do something even dumber....

Best part of that is moving that Soloman Hill contract. It basically means unless the Knicks pull something out of left field here that it could be a very uneventful draft.

My fav player not named Zion is Coby White, watched him quite a lot for NC and I think he can good at the next level.

Going above Garland wouldn't surprise me at all given Atlanta have Trae, hardly drafting a 6ft 2in guard to go alongside Trae.
    Perhaps they really like Cam Reddish or Hunter but at almost 22 I dont see the logic. Know nothing about Culver, looks wide open from 4 onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Legion.

Best part of that is moving that Soloman Hill contract. It basically means unless the Knicks pull something out of left field here that it could be a very uneventful draft.

My fav player not named Zion is Coby White, watched him quite a lot for NC and I think he can good at the next level.

Going above Garland wouldn't surprise me at all given Atlanta have Trae, hardly drafting a 6ft 2in guard to go alongside Trae.
    Perhaps they really like Cam Reddish or Hunter but at almost 22 I dont see the logic. Know nothing about Culver, looks wide open from 4 onwards.

Reading the Hawks will take Hunter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

Timberwolves at 6, Suns at 11 and Saric moves.

Hawks should take Hunter I guess. Culver is someone I really don't rate.

Coby White's lack of defence and wingspan would be a huge worry for me. Very one dimensional in his scoring too. He's fast but not agile.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Aron baynes was at my local basketball club this wk training with the local kids

I figured they traded Warren to try get a free agent but then they go and get Saric who hits free agency next year and will command at least the 15m/yr Warren was getting.

And with the 11th pick the Suns select Cameron Johnson, a lad who was projected to maybe get drafted in the first round...

EDIT: In fact he was the 37th pick in the mock darft. He's also 9 months older than Devin Booker!

Nassir Little, projected in all mock drafts to be selected somewhere between 10-14, drops all the way to 25th and is selected by Portland. Last year Portland drafted Anfernee Simons at 24. In 2018 ESPN had them listed as 6th and 9th in their Top 100 NBA Recruits list.

Nassir Little, projected in all mock drafts to be selected somewhere between 10-14, drops all the way to 25th and is selected by Portland. Last year Portland drafted Anfernee Simons at 24. In 2018 ESPN had them listed as 6th and 9th in their Top 100 NBA Recruits list.

Yeah Nassir Little at 25, Reddish at 10, Bol Bol at 44 all look like good value. Givony surprised by Little. Apparently Bol Bol raised huge off the court flags with injuries/recovery but like last year its Denver rolling the dice.

I actually thought Rui Hachimura might slip further than his 20th or so projection but 9th in the end for oldest player in R1.

*Just read the report a Bol Bol, apparently outside of not impressing teams in person. He somehow found 30 pounds to lose and weighed in recently at 208lbs

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Aron baynes was at my local basketball club this wk training with the local kids

Where’s that?

Hawks did well. Shocked Rui was top 10 tbh, think he'll have problems playing against men compared to the boys he's played against.

Bol looked depressed. Hopefully he uses it as fire but it is not a good sign. Still don't know how a lad so skinny already loses so much weight while not doing any strenuous physical activity.

I'll have to run through the draft after work to get my head around it. Celtics picking up Romeo Langford is interesting. If he gets his stroke going again after injury he could be a fine steal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Where’s that?

Bantry, co cork

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

So looks like Kawhi didn't exactly jump on the first flight back to California after the victory parade. Got mobbed in niagara falls this week while visiting with the family. Was at the blue jays game last night and got a standing ovation from 24k people, to which he raised one finger in acknowledgement to!
    Hope he is leaving some time for contract negotiations in between all the vacation stuff! :)

• Advertisement

So looks like Kawhi didn't exactly jump on the first flight back to California after the victory parade. Got mobbed in niagara falls this week while visiting with the family. Was at the blue jays game last night and got a standing ovation from 24k people, to which he raised one finger in acknowledgement to!
    Hope he is leaving some time for contract negotiations in between all the vacation stuff! :)

What contract negotiations?

Hi Kawhi it's Frank Vogel, do you want the max with the Lakers?

Hi Kawhi it's Doc Rivers, do you want the max with the Clippers?

That's the whole negotiation.

FWIW I think he chooses the latter

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Bantry, co cork

Mad I didn’t hear he was in. In the very late 80s - pre mobile phones/internet etc. John Stockton was here and everyone and anyone in basketball circles knew about it pretty much through word of mouth. It’s smazing that we have an NBA player in the country and not one national media outlet covers it. Shows once again what a minority sport it is here. Sigh.

Did you meet Baynes?

In the midst of all the goings on, post season has well and truly arrived. Dame Lillard and Marvin Bagley had a quick rap 'beef', with both guys making two diss tracks before amicably calling it quits and being good sports. I can't listen to rap these days as it has gone down the toilet with this hummana hummana hummana trap nonsense but these two guys are better than 99% of the bollocks I hear these days and can actually spit.

Lillard's first track and Bagley's second track are great efforts. I might be biased but feel like Bagley takes the W here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭simongurnick

What contract negotiations?

Hi Kawhi it's Frank Vogel, do you want the max with the Lakers?

Hi Kawhi it's Doc Rivers, do you want the max with the Clippers?

That's the whole negotiation.

FWIW I think he chooses the latter

Not sure its that cut and dry
    Plus raptors can offer 50 mil more than anyone else

Not sure its that cut and dry
    Plus raptors can offer 50 mil more than anyone else

Just joking, I wouldn't be shocked to see him run it back but I do think the Clippers deal is fav.
    Yeah 50m a lot of money but LA will close a chunk of that in other ways.

I honestly think he just wants to play in LA, that's what will make him happy.

Angliru wrote: »
    In the midst of all the goings on, post season has well and truly arrived. Dame Lillard and Marvin Bagley had a quick rap 'beef', with both guys making two diss tracks before amicably calling it quits and being good sports. I can't listen to rap these days as it has gone down the toilet with this hummana hummana hummana trap nonsense but these two guys are better than 99% of the bollocks I hear these days and can actually spit.

Lillard's first track and Bagley's second track are great efforts. I might be biased but feel like Bagley takes the W here.

Rap disses are such a funny concept.

All they really are are grown men making up poems about why they dont like one another :confused:

Just joking, I wouldn't be shocked to see him run it back but I do think the Clippers deal is fav.
    Yeah 50m a lot of money but LA will close a chunk of that in other ways.

I honestly think he just wants to play in LA, that's what HE THINKS will make him happy.

Be careful what you wish for and all that. Look at KD and his GS experience. He wasn’t fully happy despite being the best player on the team as in the fans’ eyes, it was still Steph’s team.

With Leonard, who knows?

Be careful what you wish for and all that. Look at KD and his GS experience. He wasn’t fully happy despite being the best player on the team as in the fans’ eyes, it was still Steph’s team.

With Leonard, who knows?

Leonard's motivation is different imo. KD went to GSW first and foremost to win titles.
    I'm sure that plays a part for Kawhi but his motivation is simply being back in LA as that's where he's happiest.

He wants to win but KD made the move to get out of OKC and get the championship monkey off his back
    Kawhi isn't dealing with any of that, he just wants to be in LA on his terms which is why he avoids the Lakers and takes the Clippers imo.

Was listening to the usual pods this week and pretty much all of them agreed it was a huge overpay by the Lakers got AD. I’m a huge admirer of AD, but considering there was no other serious bidder it’s hard to disagree with that. For LA to miscalculations the math on top of that is just very Lakers 2013-present day behaviour.

I forget exactly who said it at this stage but someone used the Leonard trade as a benchmark and when you consider what San Antonio gave up and got it return it’s almost comical by comparison. You have to wonder do they (SA) regret not dealing with the Lakers now?

• Advertisement

Leonard's motivation is different imo. KD went to GSW first and foremost to win titles.
    I'm sure that plays a part for Kawhi but his motivation is simply being back in LA as that's where he's happiest.

He wants to win but KD made the move to get out of OKC and get the championship monkey off his back
    Kawhi isn't dealing with any of that, he just wants to be in LA on his terms which is why he avoids the Lakers and takes the Clippers imo.

I’m not disagreeing and yes they are different, my point being with Leonard, who knows? We have so little insight into what he’s really like, do we really know if he’ll actually be happy in LA? We’re all guessing tbh. I’d guess he wouldn’t want to be near the Lakers media circus, but it’s just a guess. It’s a moot point as he isn’t taking less than a max anywhere and the Lakers can’t offer that, but all things bring equal I’d guess (that word again) he wouldn’t want to be there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement