Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tommy Tiernan on social welfare

Options
  • 19-07-2018 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Good

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

Comedians like to try and shock their audience by spouting absurd nonsense and pushing holes in social conventions etc.

There are, however, some people in most western societies who hate or fear other people so much that they find work an intolerable burden and prefer to stay on the dole rather than face into a days work or the effort involved in keeping down a job. Most employers would consider that these people cost more in extra supervision and extra oversight than their contribution to a companies output is worth. They avoid hiring them.

I am very lucky to be self employed and working at what I can do best with little or no office politics, comparison to other workers (what I do is almost unique), short hours, flexibility and a large number of clients. No one client can put me out of a job as such because I do not have any one client big enough to affect me in this way. I can always get a replacement quickly enough to avoid going into debt or losing too much earning opportunity.

I was on the dole for about 9 months at one stage and found it soul destroying.
    There was however a government funded assistance group who assisted me in setting up my present self employment arrangement, assisted me in marketing and getting work and generally got me on my feet.

I found that SW were easy to deal with once you were straight up about your employment status, they arranged job tickets for me day by day when I was on benefit. I did not qualify for JSA as my wife was working and earning enough to put the family income too high and my own savings were also too high so that was out.

The fact that SW was not available and I had money to spare did mean I had to get out and hussle up work so it was not a bad thing. Governments sometimes have to be firm and careful with their money or most people would take the pi$$.

It is a very difficult balancing act for a government to form a proper set of rules to provide for people in genuine need yet keep the working taxpayer happy and motivated enough to stay working and developing themselves to earn more as their careers progress. Many employers find it hard to recruit senior staff or get existing staff to take promotion or educate themselves because of high marginal tax rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

so you think Tommy's comments are going to keep people from finding work and staying on social welfare?
    It's great the way that these days everyone tries to find a scape goat for people on Social welfare and why they are on it.
    people need to take responsibility for themselves and not blame it on Tommy Tiernan and his comments.
    Comedians say stuff that isn't true just to get a laugh or to shock people because they know that it will shock some tool into outrage.
    people have been on the social for a long time before TT came along.

I think the whole thing about his comments about people with disabilities was covered here a few times too.
    Down Syndrome Ireland released a statement at the time. Do some research.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,245 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Anything to keep him in the news I guess - cant stand the man

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Anncreedon

Good

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Anncreedon wrote: »
    Good
    Anncreedon wrote: »
    Good

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Honestly don't get him or find him funny.

I'm sure he has a nice gaf and money hidden away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Y u no Linkey OP ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Is that all he said? "Good"?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,649 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Is this post to say that Tommy Tiernan is on social welfare?
    Or is this about Tommy Toernans comments on sw??

And what is "Good"???

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement