Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

What a scoop!
    "It is understood" :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,764 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Deise Gael wrote: »

Positives out of that team is Dan (for his motivation and passion on the sideline) and Gerry Fitzpatrick

Queally is going to have a big job on his hands. I just hope the players buy into this and it will be nothing like last year from the league final on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭hardybuck

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Positives out of that team is Dan (for his motivation and passion on the sideline) and Gerry Fitzpatrick

Queally is going to have a big job on his hands. I just hope the players buy into this and it will be nothing like last year from the league final on

Gerry Fitzpatrick?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭thesaturdayman

Don’t know how true or false this is or isn’t, but if it’s in the paper and Moynihan wrote it, it must be true seeing as he is PJR go to man so let’s just assume it is

And before I’ll be shot down with the classic Waterford line of “stop being a knocker” etc. and give the lad a chance etc I just want to qualify what I’m saying with the below proviso

I accept the argument to a point that players aren’t there to win an all Ireland, but I do believe under right mgmt team we could get to an all ire semi - maybe.

If we are all being objective and being honest here, What other top inter county jobs would Peter Queally get? Honestly?

There are 10 teams quoted for the all Ireland next year we are joint second longest odds of 25/1 (Dublin Same) Laois at 500/1 are next.

I couldnt conceivably see him getting ANY other job assuming they were all there and he wanted it. Carlow or Kerry, maybe, Offaly probably. Is he really and truly the best man we can get? Or are we totally hamstrung by total lack of finances?

Who is asking why are we forced to shop in the bargain basket? Why is it always the cheapest handiest effort?

The local media to my mind have a lot to answer for in the lack of a robust challenge to the county boards failings over last 2 decades & in particular last 5 years. It’s a long list at this stage.

It’s one excuse to the next & a never ending blame circle, devoid of leadership, innovation, entrepreneurial spirit, the characteristics that the Waterford teams of last 20 years were full of.

If Queally is best we can really do, great I’ll wish him luck & be there supporting as per.

The whole county is at tipping point, hard questions need to be asked & more over people need to be held to account for their actions or is most likely the case, their lack of actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 RichardBzero

Hearing today Michael Ryan of Tipperary

Don’t know how true or false this is or isn’t, but if it’s in the paper and Moynihan wrote it, it must be true seeing as he is PJR go to man so let’s just assume it is

And before I’ll be shot down with the classic Waterford line of “stop being a knocker” etc. and give the lad a chance etc I just want to qualify what I’m saying with the below proviso

I accept the argument to a point that players aren’t there to win an all Ireland, but I do believe under right mgmt team we could get to an all ire semi - maybe.

If we are all being objective and being honest here, What other top inter county jobs would Peter Queally get? Honestly?

There are 10 teams quoted for the all Ireland next year we are joint second longest odds of 25/1 (Dublin Same) Laois at 500/1 are next.

I couldnt conceivably see him getting ANY other job assuming they were all there and he wanted it. Carlow or Kerry, maybe, Offaly probably. Is he really and truly the best man we can get? Or are we totally hamstrung by total lack of finances?

Who is asking why are we forced to shop in the bargain basket? Why is it always the cheapest handiest effort?

The local media to my mind have a lot to answer for in the lack of a robust challenge to the county boards failings over last 2 decades & in particular last 5 years. It’s a long list at this stage.

It’s one excuse to the next & a never ending blame circle, devoid of leadership, innovation, entrepreneurial spirit, the characteristics that the Waterford teams of last 20 years were full of.

If Queally is best we can really do, great I’ll wish him luck & be there supporting as per.

The whole county is at tipping point, hard questions need to be asked & more over people need to be held to account for their actions or is most likely the case, their lack of actions.

Well first of all Waterford is restricted slightly from a geographic perspective if looking for an outsider. We realistically can source from Tipp, Cork, Kilkenny or maybe Wexford if anyone is around there and up to it.

The likes of Anthony Daly and Anthony Cunningham, or anyone else from Limerick/Clare/Galway are probably too far away.

Cork haven't had a good manager in years, and Wexford have an out of town manager. For an aspiring Tipp manager, you're probably better off working with one of their underage sides. Kilkenny have a few guys waiting for Cody's seat - but probably better for them to take an underage side or a smaller county where they can make mistakes without the same scrutiny.

When we did get outside managers we didn't exactly attract sought after high profile candidates. We got a cast off (Justin), and two managers taking their first senior intercounty manager roles (Gerald and Davy).

Waterford in 2020 is not an attractive role for a lot of candidates, regardless of what money is available. We'll end up getting someone eager to cut their teeth at senior level.

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jjjjjjjjbarry

Yeah but why couldn't they play one on Saturday evening. They're too close together for comfort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭hurler on de ditch

Love the use if the word "logic"

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Love the use if the word "logic"

As soon as the semi finals were announced I called it that they'd do this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mountgomery burns

As soon as the semi finals were announced I called it that they'd do this.

In fairness, at least there is some sort of effort to offer value for the weekends games with 20 euro covering the 3 games. Still not great but a start

they should of siad to Dungarvan or any other of the west senior clubs with a similar agreement 'This home and away rule thing is only for group stage games and its our decision where to play knockout games'

It should be a double header in Walsh Park

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

Don’t think asking ‘how many other county jobs would Queally get’ is a valid argument. I don’t remember John Kiely being the front runner for many jobs before he got the Limerick one. Just because he’s not a big outside name doesn’t mean he’s not the right person for the job. I like the back room tram. Denis Walsh is former Cork senior manager and knows the scene here well, we know Dan is good for morale in the camp and Gerry Fitz has been there done it before aswell. There’s plenty of experience there it’s just a matter if they can get these players to gel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Don’t think asking ‘how many other county jobs would Queally get’ is a valid argument. I don’t remember John Kiely being the front runner for many jobs before he got the Limerick one. Just because he’s not a big outside name doesn’t mean he’s not the right person for the job. I like the back room tram. Denis Walsh is former Cork senior manager and knows the scene here well, we know Dan is good for morale in the camp and Gerry Fitz has been there done it before aswell. There’s plenty of experience there it’s just a matter if they can get these players to gel.

I was going to post something very similar.....who had heard of John kiely prior to 2018 outside limerick. Did he ever play intercounty according to Wikipedia he was only ever a limerick panel member.......he dabbled with club and underage management prior to limerick senior appointment....on the face of it peter queally would have a better pre intercounty appointment CV than kiely......the big questions will does PQ have what it takes tactically, leadership wise and with this group of players ‘interpersonal skills’ that appear to be needed to gel them all together......don’t think there is any doubting his passion/commitment but as pauric fanning discovered this will not be enough...........

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭tommylad1212

I wouldn't be going to pp looking to be paid out on peter just yet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DLS2THECORE

Looks like it’s not Queally.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Lingoweet913

💣 🔥

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Eh.....source etc......will it be announced this weekend.....sooner the better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Deisefacts

Peter Queally was informed over the weekend he wasn’t being considered for the job. Liam Cahill by all accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

A sugar Daddy has been found and common sense has prevailed thankfully. Queally was never going to be tactically shrewd enough so take your pick from the following:
    Michael Ryan
    Liam Cahill
    DJ Carey

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Lingoweet913

cul beag wrote: »
    A sugar Daddy has been found and common sense has prevailed thankfully. Queally was never going to be tactically shrewd enough so take your pick from the following:
    Michael Ryan
    Liam Cahill
    DJ Carey

nope

• Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭deiseach

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

The examiner really had their finger on the pulse yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Gary Gurney

Shefflin?

Interesting hopefully it's a good choice

Fergal Hartley is the only local candidate I can think off, Colm Bonnar is staying with Carlow afaik

Interesting hopefully it's a good choice

Fergal Hartley is the only local candidate I can think off, Colm Bonnar is staying with Carlow afaik

Jackson Kiely, refreshed after his glorious stint with the senior footballers.

You won't get better value for money as he doesn't claim expenses by all accounts.

hardybuck wrote: »
    Jackson Kiely, refreshed after his glorious stint with the senior footballers.

You won't get better value for money as he doesn't claim expenses by all accounts.

Scully Ryan on the team too with Babs Keating in a mentor role

Actually could Scully Ryan have a chance of another stint ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭IanVW

Scully Ryan on the team too with Babs Keating in a mentor role

Actually could Scully Ryan have a chance of another stint ??

No!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement