Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

France Ferry & Campsite info (use Search function) mod warning post 1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Redlim

Siblu allow you to book the specific pitches. You can search on the website but if you can't find 3 close together yourself then you could call them and they might be able to sort something for you all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,290 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

As mentioned, Siblu offer emplacement booking. In Les Charmettes atm and we booked our placement because we didn't want to be miles from the bar, its a seriously big site. If you are booking early enough, Eurocamp would get you close enough aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭corkgirl17

Sandaya allow you to book your plots/pitches as well for €30

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭spuddy

We go to the area every year, a few other recommendations you might want to try:

For younger kids, the Vendee Aquarium

and Dino's Park is about 45 mins away

For older ones, O'Gliss Park is half an hour away

and for the adults, a French market on a Saturday morning shouldn't be missed

• Registered Users Posts: 13,246 ✭✭✭✭fits

Can anyone recommend nice accommodation that’s max 90 minute drive from Cherbourg. We are in a euro camp site and don’t like it. Mould in the cabin so I’m looking for a refund.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Baybay

Check the small print on your booking or the brochure. You may be able to move to a sister site at no or minimal extra charge, if there’s availability. The couriers at reception should be able to help decide on a suitable radius & what’s possible.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

We moved sites a number of years ago when the weather in the Loire was miserable (went to the Dordogne). No cost involved IIRC.

It’s just for two nights as taking ferry on Tuesday. Decided to stay as booked through an agent and office isn’t open until tomorrow. Couldn’t be sure we’d get money back and could get caught twice. But it’s absolutely dismal compared to the site we were in in Dordogne. So much for five stars 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭talla

Camping Chateau de les Eaux

Post edited by fits on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭gaillimh

I assume no penalty points can be enforced on your licence as a result of paying the fine?

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭browne_rob5

No penalty points at the moment but think it's a possibility down the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Jack0125

Just back from 10 nights in Pin Parasol and 5 nights at Domaine Des Ormes (DDO).

Pin Parasol is a very good top class campsite. The pool slides complex is excellent, best we have seen in our limited experience (Sol a Gogo/Mane Guerhue/DDO). We only went once to the pool facility in the other part of Campsite that we could only access after noon each day. It was an aesthetically nicer pool complex but not as much fun (with kids). The campsite, 500 pitches, had the pitches beautifully laid out with much hedging and internal roads dividing the place up that it felt very spacious. Lots of security there, walking the site at night (Was up with the heat one night). The shop was great for the basics. We were really happy to have brought scooters and would be bringing bicycles next year whether we back here or in DDO. Food and drink options were disappointing but I do give them a pass, especially when they got everything else right. The access/proxmity to the walkway lake is great and the restaurant by the lake is lovely. One other thing, Pin Parasol is rural. 10 mins to a local Super U and 20 mins to a Hyper U or Lidl which is a bit of journey as you will be gone well over an hour for a shop.

DDO's seemed like Las Vegas compared to Pin Parasol. The food and drink options were good, lots of seating on external patio's and common areas. Always activity around the bars/takeaway/reception/games room/food concessions. The pool slides complex under the doom is excellent. Slides, wave machine, lazy river, very good. We didnt go to the outdoor pool complex! The campsite, 700 pitches, had the pitches well laid out but not a spacious and private as Pin Parasol. Whats different about DDO was that they had many activities onsite, such as golf, adventure course, pony/horse trekking, climbing wall. Would like to have longer than 5 days here as it seems rushed, but will definitely be back again, even if its only as a place to spend a few days before the ferry home.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Folks, I'll be heading to Ile de re with 2 kids (6 and 2). Highly likely we'll need 2+ stops on the way so just wondering if folks have any stop off location recommendations for to kill 30 mins, stretch the legs, stop the kids going crazy...etc. we'll be heading down the A83/84. Not looking to detour into towns or cities, we won't have time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Oscar_Madison

Lucky you- I’ve done that journey a number of times - I’ve really only stopped off at motorway petrol stops on that route which have been super- plenty of parking, toilets food outlets etc - there’s a number of them on route - I’d usually break after 2 hours and look out for the signs on the motorway in advance- you’ll see signs saying 20/30/40km so you can prepare - but sorry as to which one I just don’t have that information -

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭10-10-20

If you're eating what you brought or looking for small cafe food then someone mentioned to me that Aire de Vendee has a good kids playground?

If you getting food at the same time then Nantes has Centre Commercial Atlantis, but it's really huge.

Same for Rennes, if that's your gig.

There is also supposed to be a kids medieval entertainment village somewhere on the N12 between Saint Breiuc and Rennes where the kids can dress-up and do stuff, but I can't seem to find it.

Oh, I think that it's this one:

Hopefully these help keep you all sane!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,440 ✭✭✭Heroditas

There's the Alma shopping centre in Rennes which is where you detour to head down towards Nantes. Good place to stop. Alternatively between Rennes and Nantes there's a very popular stop on the motorway with Irish cars at a place called Heric. There's a McDonald's and a play area for kids

• Registered Users Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭webpal

Just stopped here 😀

On the subject of breakdowns, we broke down on the way to Cork, luckily we gave ourselves enough time but still only got in with minutes to spare. We were last on, the door closed before we even got out of the car. We didn’t think we would make it but BF were very helpful.

The Renault assist guy who was also very helpful said to ring the same number if anything happened abroad which I didn’t know as the car is under warranty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭BlazingSaddler

Happy holidays all!, off to La Baume in Frejus iourselves n 10 days, hope the weather is kind to all!

Greetings from a sunny Les Sables d'Olonne. Enjoy your hols folks!

The Aire de Vendee that you mentioned, maybe the link didn’t copy correctly. And actually what we didn’t see was that there was a separate restaurant out back. We only saw it after we ate.

Ok, coincidence! I was wondering why the trees didn't have leaves in your photo!

On a separate note, I think we'll need a "Rubbing it in from France 2023" thread for all those who are currently on holidays. 😂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,290 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Currently chilling by the pool, les Chemettes, not rubbing it in though 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 4,340 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

McDonalds play Restaurants are great

Let the kids blow off steam in the soft play area

We never eat in them though. Muck

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Search functionality isn't great on the mobile version of the phone so I'm sure the information is in this thread but what's the situation on tolls when driving in France? How do you pay and when do you pay?

There are multiple operators, very regionalised. All, as far as I know, are toll-booths where you either drive up and tap to pay or collect a ticket and pay when existing, but you can purchase a toll pass and use that to drive straight through.

Calculator:

One provider of toll passes used by some on here:

Viamichelin is also great for working out the cost of the tolls (and the route options).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭17togo

Heading into Paris tomorrow, was planning on taking the train from compiegne and using the netro then. But it's fairly pricey with 4 kids. So was thinking of chancing driving in. Any ideas on parking in there? I've looked online a bit and could be paying 5 or 6 euro an hour for parking lots. Still would be probably cheaper than getting trains and metro, and gives us freedom with time in there too. Not sure what to do yet.

Advertisement