Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Irish Hip Hop SuperThread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭HighClass

New Maverick Sabre tune! Been years since he's just been straight rapping on tracks but you can hear the hip hop coming through still, production is quality! Just hope he has at least one full rap track on the new album, easily one of the best rappers to come from Ireland.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I had the pleasure of hearing this a couple of days early and have been listening to it alot. Now it's finally out there for public consumption. New bonus track from Bitter Rocc, a bit of a change in sound, and cant argue with how he is evolving as a rapper and producer.

He's also competing the production on the new Ace & EJ album, which is being released on his BR Music label.

10313796_753536301358097_5432284904394400053_n.jpg

10303766_751136244931436_5166391347938127779_n.jpg

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Just realised that I hadn't posted this here yet.

Boss Level - Part 2

Pretty darn tooting good if you ask me.

Good stuff, fair few lads I've never heard of in it! Tenchoo & Genesis Elijah were on that next level though!

Mister_E is from a group called This Side Up, havent heard much, but decent:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Muirshin Durkin

The new mynameisjOhn & God Knows album is out. Ain't got a chance to listen yet but I'm fairly sure it'll be one of the best releases from anywhere this year.

http://godknows-mynameisjohn.bandcamp.com/

Edit: Given this a few plays, easily one of my favourite albums of the year. Habbakuk is some track!

Snippets off Lethal Dialects new album 1988. Looking forward to this one.

Also Mouse Hughes from Sons Phonetic released a free EP the other day, its sick.

https://sonsphonetic.bandcamp.com/album/jewels-of-the-trade

HighClass wrote: »
    The new mynameisjOhn & God Knows album is out. Ain't got a chance to listen yet but I'm fairly sure it'll be one of the best releases from anywhere this year.

http://godknows-mynameisjohn.bandcamp.com/

Edit: Given this a few plays, easily one of my favourite albums of the year. Habbakuk is some track!

Just given it a listen, it's f*cking excellent.

Here's an appearance from Bitter Rocc and Chris Haze on Balcony TV

The Animators are no more:
    Ladies and Gentlemen.
    After nearly 4 years of rockin through the jungle bringing you the best Hip-Hop out of Dublin, all of us at The Animators have decided to call it a day as a collective.
    We first and foremost would like to thank all our fans. We would also like to thank our families and friends for their continuous support. Of course a special shout to everyone who helped us develop musically and otherwise on a greater level from The Hypnotic Brass Ensemble, DJ. Flip, Gerard Walsh, Albert Hooi, John Ennis and the Lyricist Lounge crew, all the Drawn Together Artists, the homies at Le Cool, Bodytonic, AllCity and of course a massive thank you to Mark at Choice Cuts.
    It's been a great ride full of fantastic music, beautiful people, brilliant gigs and just phenomenal experiences.
    It was a pleasure to bring out our 2 projects 'Sketch' & 'Drawn Together' to such a great reception which solidified our mission on creating Hip-Hop big enough to take it out of the doldrums in this country. With the support of all the radio & TV shows, magazines and websites championing our music, our passion and our Art were able to flourish. It truly was a labour of love.
    Our musical and creative paths have not ceased and be sure to look out for solo material from all members soon and expect the same standard we set as a crew.
    So this is the final sign off from all of us,
    Mango, Smokey J, Ricki Rawness, Rhymes Vital, Mathman, Classquatch and Redbloc.
    We leave you with one last present, all of our music is now available free of charge.
    One Love.
    Peace,
    The Animators.

• Advertisement

Real shame. They were one of the few Irish hip hop acts who seemed like they were on the way to breaking through to the mainstream in a big way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Andy_rse

Sad news that.

Ger Kellett's new album is free to download for the next 24 hours:

https://gerkellettofficial.bandcamp.com/album/honesty

Anyone check this out? They're from Dublin, made it on to VladTv, sounds class as well.

A few posts back I mentioned Ace & EJ will be releasing thier debut album this year, produced by Bitter Rocc. Well the first vid/track/single is here and called 'Today Was The Day'. Vid and beat by Mr. Rocc, and it's the first release on his BRMusic label.

It's also getting a bit of support from Hot Press
    http://www.hotpress.com/Ace--EJ/news/WATCH-New-vid-from-Bitter-Roccproduced-Ace--EJ/11831366.html

Find that cringey.

I've been thinking about doing a write up on Scary Eire for this thread, but I think this article sums it all up

http://www.state.ie/features/beats-bodhrans-and-bloody-mayhem-the-story-of-scary-eire

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

This is the first song from a debut album!

DJ Flip is representing Ireland in a DJ championship, words from the man himself:
    I've been keeping this kind of quiet because it's been so long since I've entered a DJ competition, but with the right people in my life I was successfully persuaded to enter the Redbull Thre3style World DJ Championships this year.
    It was a last minute decision as Ireland had no official heats. So in order to enter I had to make a 15 minute mix,and enter the "Lucky Bastid" draw online.
    Skratch Bastid would pick the winner from the hundreds of entries from all over the world.
    Any DJ in the world can enter this once your country didn't hold an official heat. That means I was up against some heavy hitters, including USA,UK,France,etc.
    Well, I just found out that I've won,
    and will be flying to Azerbaijan September 6th to the World Finals.
    I want to thank anybody I told about this and pretty much made me enter.
    I will do us proud.

Thats brilliant news.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭DermoMIO

any1 playing the smaller stages/tents in Electric Picnic this year ? I seen Simi Crowns is playing 3 times over the weekend any1 else around ?

The Boss Level crew where in the final rounds of a competition to win a slot last night. Havn't heard the results yet, but as soon as I hear I'll post it up here.

Bit late on this one but just seen the new Costello video, track off his next album!

Boss Level didnt win the comp, but they still have a few slots at EP:

23:00 - 00:15 - Friday - Natasha's Living Food, Body & Soul Area
    00:15 - 01:20 - Sunday - Cultivate Global Green

Look out for Funzo tonight as well just after Boss Level. I'd expect some of the BL lads to stay on stage with him.

RiRa playing trenchtown Saturday/Sunday morning, cant remember what time, but be worth seeing.

DJ Flip competed in the Red Bull Th3style event in Baku Azerbaijan last night, unfortunataley he didn't make it out of his heat.
    You can hear his set and all others here -> www.mixcloud.com/RedBullThre3style/

There is still a chance that he could get a wildcard into the next round.

By all accounts, he's having a swell time there hanging out with Jazzy Jeff, Scratch Bastid, Q-Bert. Lucky git.

Great 3 part documentary featuring Captain Moonlight.

"The story follows Kilkenny MC and hurling nut Captain Moonlight around Dublin as he investigates the recent upsurge in interest and quality in both hurling and hiphop in the capital. He meets some Dublin rappers and writes a song with them while visiting six clubs and following the Kevins U-14 team to their Féile final."

Part 1:http://vimeo.com/m/98949018
    Part 2:http://vimeo.com/m/98959212
    Part 3:http://vimeo.com/m/99545216

Lethal Dialects new album 1988 is out now on iTunes & Spotify. Not too sure what to think about it after my first listen, didn't blow me away like the first time I heard his LD50 albums. Will need a few more listens but it's feeling a bit bland at the minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 mjcunn

I was wondering does anyone on here know the name of a irish rapper that was a few years ago he had a song about dublin bus on his album?

Advertisement