Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Philadelphia Eagles Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

Well that was shocking boys and girls... we were exposed pretty badly.

1) the D are good. They weren't awful today, just got beat a few times by a Larry Fitz with a chip on his shoulder. They still got tons of pressure. The cards didn't beat us cause our D sucked.

2) the beat us because Andy Reid still cannot call plays. McCoy and Brown looked to have some lanes on cutbacks, we could have taken advantage of that in the 1st half but instead we just pass and pass and pass. That would be fine if we had Tom Brady back there but we don't. We have a qb who can't read a blitz and can't hit his checkdown receiver. He fires the ball 90million miles an hour constantly, regardless of the situation. It's tough to over throw Desaun and he managed to twice... if Vick can't even hit the deep ball now then whats the point of him... he's not the same athlete he was and regardless the linebackers coming out of college these days can match him.

3) it's a shame but this talented team (and it is a very talented team) is being wasted... Vick out, Reid out (although i'd love Reid to be our GM, just not our head coach!!)

also i'd like to point out that i think Reid has done a good job at Philly during his tenure but sometimes it's just time. His was about 2 years ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,083 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Acquiring a QB better than Michael Vick is harder than you might think. The QBs who are inarguably superior are not attainable, and bringing in potential guys already in the league or drafting is a dicey business.

Vick is certainly not bad enough to prevent this team getting to the playoffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,630 ✭✭✭nerd69

did anyone else think seeing dawk back out in the link in midnight green was one of the highlights of the year so far best eagle ever in my opinion even beats reggie white absolute legend wouldn't take any safety in history ahead of him even ronnie lot

• Registered Users Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

nerd69 wrote: »
    did anyone else think seeing dawk back out in the link in midnight green was one of the highlights of the year so far best eagle ever in my opinion even beats reggie white absolute legend wouldn't take any safety in history ahead of him even ronnie lot

Ed Reed? Argument for another day but Reed is the GOAT safety imo, the stats prove it.

I loved Dawk myself but he was a bit of a liability in pass coverage. Great SS though and some hitter.

spiralism wrote: »

Ed Reed? Argument for another day but Reed is the GOAT safety imo, the stats prove it.

I loved Dawk myself but he was a bit of a liability in pass coverage. Great SS though and some hitter.
    Ronny lotts the goat I'd still take dawk first though gets me fired up like no1 else I think having him around helped our d last night

Dawkins was a lisbility in coverage in his later years but not for most of his career 20 ints and 30 sacks he would have hade more ints but jimmy Johnson blitzed him a lot

For the record bias aside I take dawk in his prime over reed in his prime

• Advertisement

That loss is on the entire team... every player and the coaches. Shocking play calling, shocking execution, stupid decisions.. just not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,416 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    That loss is on the entire team... every player and the coaches. Shocking play calling, shocking execution, stupid decisions.. just not good enough.

Well Vick needs to ****ing realise that getting hit like that will catch up with you later in the season. Bad performance all around. That O-line is a disaster zone. Andy Reid went from one extreme to the other with TO. He had all three left on the board. The D was found out tonight late on. Nnamdi has lost his aura IMO.

Thought Nnamdi actually played well. Teams know how to beat our scheme. Tho short passes all the way. Rare we get beaten deep unless it's Coleman/Allen biting on a play fake. Nnamdi isn't elite anymore but he's still in the top 10cbs in the league easy imo. Suffering a bit from unrealistic expectations. He was never the kind of ball hawk that Revis is but teams just beat the Raiders in other ways so they just didn't throw at him.

We have huge issues on the o-line tho, but a big part of that is Vick holding the ball too long. I don't know if it's all on him or on Reid calling passing plays that take too long to develop but it's a huge issue.

One real worrying issue is that our run blocking was so bad today. Detroit has a good dline but still...

I thought our WR's worked had today and McCoys effort can never be faulted but they need a well run offense to actually accomplish anything.

Well ya that's what I meant the aura that he carried from the raiders is gone. He is a good cb but teams aren't not throwing to him. Shady had 14 carries for 22yrds!!!! I mean Jesus imagine if he had an anyway decent O-line in front of him.

And the centre and Vick need to be welded together this week. I know he is a rookie but he has been gotten the snaps with the first team offense in practice for three weeks. Brent celek needs to remember that catching the ball is an important part of football. I'm angry but not suprised.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Terrible play from the O-line cost us dearly. Vick was under pressure the whole day and we never got a run game going. Look at the last drive in regulation. We set up a 2nd and four and couldnt convert it because the line couldnt open a hole for Shady and we were forced into having Vick drop back to pass and Suh getting his hands up to knock it down. The Lions got the ball back with over 2 mins when we should have been able to get a first down and bleed out the clock and put us in position to make it almost impossible for the Lions.

Just bad discipline all day from our line with the Lions d-line (obviously full of good players) able to have constant penetration. It's not surprising though seeing as this has been a constant issue in recent years.

The handoffs from centre to QB were poor and while Vick hasnt covered himself in glory this year he isnt to blame for everything. He's running for his life back there and under constant pressure so turnovers are more likely to happen. I still would like to see him get the ball out of his hands sooner and see us use the screen and bubble passes more but the problem is beyond simple play calling. We need to focus on getting disciplined in the bye week

• Advertisement

Bowles Named Defensive Coordinator
    October 16, 2012 09:32 AM | PhiladelphiaEagles.com
    The Philadelphia Eagles today announced they have dismissed defensive coordinator Juan Castillo from his duties with the Philadelphia Eagles and named secondary coach Todd Bowles as the team's new defensive coordinator.

"I want to make it clear that I have nothing but the ultimate respect for Juan Castillo as a coach and as a person," said head coach Andy Reid. "He's one of the finest football coaches that I have ever worked with. He has served this organization extremely well for 18 years and letting him go was a difficult decision. I know he will continue to be a successful coach in this league and wish he and his family nothing but the best.

"We're six games into the season and average isn't good enough. I know the potential of our team and insist on maximizing it."

Not suprised to be honest. I was stunned he got the gig in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭death1234567

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Not suprised to be honest. I was stunned he got the gig in the first place.
    Sacking him isn't going to fix the Offensive line though.

Had to happen. Was typical Andy Reid "i'm smarter than everyone else" appointment. An o-line coach with no experience of running a D as D Co-ordinator. Mental stuff...

Thats a big start and tbh a bit of a sign that Andy knows that he's seriously on the hot seat. The bye week will help the O-line imo and by all accounts the D have tons of respect for Bowles and rightly so, he's had good success with the secondary in Miami. Not sure it's going to help enough to save Andys job but at least he's trying something.

Sacking him isn't going to fix the Offensive line though.

No it won't but the defense was horrible last season and yes it has got better this season but on Sunday the eagles were up by ten with five minutes left and they couldn't get the job done. We blew so many fourth quarter leads last year that I was shocked he kept it there till the start of this.

No it won't but the defense was horrible last season and yes it has got better this season but on Sunday the eagles were up by ten with five minutes left and they couldn't get the job done. We blew so many fourth quarter leads last year that I was shocked he kept it there till the start of this.

Yeah exactly. We have loads of talent on D but no discipline. Every game for the last year and a half has seen us unable to stop teams in the crunch because of bad mental errors. Look at Sunday as a prime example. There was lots of issues all over the team but Cox getting thrown out of the game for trying to punch someone showed the ill-discipline of the unit. They dont do their jobs and have been prone to making lots of mental mistakes.

The D is far from our only concern as this strikes of Andy Reid looking to make some moves before he gets under crazy pressure from within the organisation as opposed to from the stands.

It's bad to say, and Reid has been a tremendously successful coach for us, but it looks as if his message is getting lost now after so long in charge and a change might be the best thing for us long term (but obviously Im getting ahead of myself on that one)

wow castillio has been let go did not see that coming

I've seen quotes from Brent celek saying the eagles needs to play better. How many times can andy Reid and the players keep saying it before they actually don't believe it ?

I've seen quotes from Brent celek saying the eagles needs to play better. How many times can andy Reid and the players keep saying it before they actually don't believe it ?

Yeah, its the same as "there's so much talent here" at a certain point over the last 18 months the players need to realise that right now we are what our record says we are. A middle of the road team. The players we have are talented but the team we have dont play together

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Second lowest passer rating allowed, run defense middle of the road. The problems only lie on one side of the ball. And Andy Reid's coaching. I'm a huge Reid fan and I love the pass but truth be told game management on offense would get the job done rather than getting Michael Vick the ball constantly and seeing what he can do. He can show off his stuff in the 2 minute drill, but let shady do the work for the first 58 minutes. The team really isn't bad, the wins over Baltimore and NYG prove this. Still very much in contention for the NFC East. If Reid calls the game he called against NY or Baltimore you should beat Atlanta

Ok an erratic offence,another o lineman down(Danny Watkins) and where playing a 6-0 team are we fcuked

• Advertisement

Eagles will win. No good reason really. maybe its my hangover and the clock going back.

Ok an erratic offence,another o lineman down(Danny Watkins) and where playing a 6-0 team are we fcuked

The certain pro bowler :D

Apparently it's going to be windy at the linc. Maybe big red will remember that he has shady on the sideline.

The certain pro bowler :D
    He's not a beast by any means but he's solid and our 3rd lineman out our line was shocking v the lions as it was now we have another backup coming in Vick may not make the 2nd quarter never mind the whole game and how can lesean run behind it it's gona be a real tough game Maby that will spur us on we enjoy being underdogs but could be rough

Ouch that hurt a lot hard to find positives lesean looked real good that's about it

Watched andy Reids press conference after Sundays game and he came out with the gem of" we have to play better." And here was me thinking it was something else that was the problem.

I wonder why shady is still there as he is a superb RB but he doesn't get used.

I'd put nick foles in next week and see what he can do and bench Vick and phunt andy and the rest out the door at the novacare.

As eagles fans we have had some bad days but for the first time in the eleven years I don't care what happens for the season.

Watched andy Reids press conference after Sundays game and he came out with the gem of" we have to play better." And here was me thinking it was something else that was the problem.

I wonder why shady is still there as he is a superb RB but he doesn't get used.

I'd put nick foles in next week and see what he can do and bench Vick and phunt andy and the rest out the door at the novacare.

As eagles fans we have had some bad days but for the first time in the eleven years I don't care what happens for the season.

i wouldnt say i dont care but that loss hit me worse than any other i remember having thought about it for a while i think its because our d was so soft even if we lost to a team in the dawk days they knew they where in a game on sunday the falcons where more bothered by getting wet that us

From my perspective its pretty clear that the issue is Reid. I hate to say it but his time is over in Philie. He is the best coach we've ever had but over time the message gets lost and things get taken for granted. This year has been pretty poor and it isnt Reid, the defence or the offence...its simply time for a change.

I dont really support the arguments looking for Foles to become our long term starter. I still think that Vick offers a lot to the team. Having watched pretty much every snap so far this year I think Vick has improved as the year has progressed and his opening couple of games the turnovers were clearly because of rust from missing pre-season but in the last five games he hasnt been the issue for us. A lack of protection and poor play from the entire team (and bad play calling) has led to mistakes.

I think that if we can get in a coach that can change the culture and provide the spart for 2013 that Vick would still be a good long term QB for us. He showed in 2010 what he can do and finding that form is possible again but we need to make a change and give him what's needed. A line to protect him and coaches to demand more from him while using McCoy to a much bigger degree.

Vick has been tasked with carrying too much of the workload on offence this year and with a crap line it was always a recipe for disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Deadpool

I respect Reid as much as any Eagles fan but it was time for him to go a few years ago..Some of the playcalls in big games over the last few years have left us all wondering.

• Advertisement

Eagles' Michael Vick: I got to get my swag back
    By Kevin Patra
    Published: Nov. 1, 2012 at 02:41 p.m
    A whirlwind week in Philadelphia continued Thursday as Andy Reid reinforced standing behind Michael Vick as his starting quarterback.

"I was upset after the game, not at Michael Vick, and I needed to step back and evaluate," Reid said Thursday referring to his postgame comments. "Michael is QB and will continue to be."

Reid, in his 14th year as the Eagles' head coach said he was never considering benching Vick in favor of Nick Foles.

Reports swirled all week that a switch could be made, starting with Vick saying after Sunday's loss that Reid might make a swap. The discussion grew to the point where Reid released a statement Wednesday saying Vick would remain the starter.

Vick was one of the leaders of a players-only meeting, reported Jeff McLane of the Philadelphia Inquirer.

Vick has struggled this season, turning the ball over at a debilitating rate, but had possibly his best game of the season in Sunday's defeat --most importantly not turning the ball over.

Reid said as much in his Thursday comments.

Vick said more than anything he just has to get his confidence back.

"I was trying to cater to certain things and trying to be what everybody wanted me to be," he said. "I got to let it go. I got to get my swag back and play football how I play football."

Do what you can do Mick Vick.

Advertisement