Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Baltimore Ravens Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Sh1t one for you guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭FreeOSCAR

Massive loss for the Ravens. The one player on your team you really wouldn't want out for a big period of time, never mind a season.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Playing basketball when he did it apparently. Well that's just great :(

• Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

This sucks. Upshaw better be awesome.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

D.I.S.A.S.T.E.R

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Paully D wrote: »
    Playing basketball when he did it apparently. Well that's just great :(
    Not true!

kmart6 wrote: »
    Not true!

Yep, you're right, but nearly everywhere at the time was reporting it happened when he was playing basketball.

Good thing for him too or he may not have got paid:

VontaLeach44 ‏ @vleach44
    Anytime a player gets hurt and it's not football. It's goes down as a non-football injury and a team don't have to pay u

Suggs reckons he'll be back by November at the latest.

We've signed DT Ryan McBean today.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828ec46c/article/baltimore-ravens-sign-suspended-nose-tackle-ryan-mcbean?campaign=twitter_news
    The Baltimore Ravens have signed suspended free-agent nose tackle Ryan McBean, the team said Monday.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

McBean was suspended for six games by the NFL in March for violating the league's performance-enhancement drug policy.

McBean played the last three seasons for the Denver Broncos, recording 77 tackles and four sacks in 46 games.

The six-year veteran was drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers in the fourth round of the 2007 draft.

The Ravens signed veteran defensive lineman Ma'ake Kemoeatu to a one-year deal last week.

Restriced free agent CB Cary Williams has signed too. He started all 16 games for us in 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭taidghbaby

Just watched the sound fx of the harbaugh bowl on YouTube...46 mins of good viewing!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Derrick Mason, best receiver in franchise history has requested to retire as a Raven

Not entirely expected, he did play in a Superbowl for the Titans

So next season no doubt will sign a one day contract and get a presentation at a home game

A warrior of a WR. Doesn't look like Boldin will replace him as best franchise WR, maybe in several years Torrey Smith will
    For now and always, a Baltimore legend. Just a pity how his career here ended, was a bit messy

• Advertisement

@RavensInsider: Ravens outside linebacker-defensive end Michael McAdoo tore his Achilles tendon Thursday and had surgery today, according to sources”
    @RavensInsider: With Michael McAdoo having a torn Achilles tendon, given the timing, it's expected to be a season-ending injury, per sources.”

Michael McAdoo was picked up in the supplemental draft last year.
    Spent the year on IR and was to bulk up and be coached up and add to our pass rush
    He played in one-preseason game last year, got one tackle for loss as I remember

Done for the year

Another pass rusher gone :(

Jesus, another injury :mad:

Time to perform or be cut

This is the year for Sergio Kindle, if he doesn't contribute he'll be cut
    The potential is there though and he's had two years with the team already

sergio-kindlejpg-440ae6941d2a90e3_large.jpg

Anyone else think we're going to see a whole lot more of the 4-3 next year? Some people would say we're already effectively a 4-3 (even when we say we're 3-4) because they count Suggs as a DE but I think Kruger is far more of a DE than Suggs is.

Greg Mattison got Kruger to bulk up to 275lb and play as DE and it was a failure, so much time wasted.
    He barely played at all his first two seasons though he did have that INT against Pittsburgh

He could play DE in college but it's different in the pros

Kruger is an OLB and that's his position now though I do agree he's more of a DE then Suggs

So will this be it?

Upshaw Lewis McClain Kruger
    Ngata Cody Jones (McPhee for Jones for pass plays)

Kruger has to replace JJ, big boots to fill!

That looks like the front 7 to me, except surely Kruger will be the ROLB and Upshaw will be the LOLB. Last year I was expecting Cody to break out. Hopefully he makes the jump this year. If he can utilise his incredible strength the loss of Suggs can be offset. Big chance for Arthur Jones too.

I think Kruger will be able to put up very solid pass rushing numbers, if he does well he could be in for a starting job... somewhere. I don't watch much college football so I don't know all too much about Upshaw, but if Kruger impresses, is there a chance we would move Upshaw inside to accomodate Kruger?

Really excited to watch Upshaw this coming season.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/News/Articles/2012/07/Ravens_Attendance_Solid_Despite_Decline.aspx
    Koppelman said the Ravens’ renewal rate on season tickets has been 99 percent or higher for the last nine years and has never been lower than 98 percent. The season-ticket base is over 65,500 people.

563273_10150942708141229_1515172973_n.jpg

Only a few days left for a Rice deal, we really need the cap space.

I'm not liking the Jacoby Jones signing at all

Two years, 7 million

He's a very average player and the Houston fans hated him, realy glad to see him gone
    He doesn't offer much

Sure we have a need at returner but we have other young players who can try for that

And a need for No 3 reciever as Lee Evans is gone but what about Tandon Doss or the other young players

Let the young players play said Bisciotti

Did we learn nothing from signing, Housh, Stallworth and lots of other cast-offs?

Jones has taken up pretty much all of the remaining cap space but for what

• Advertisement

Jeez we could've got Laurent Robinson for that price.

Anyone hoping we see some Tommy Streeter this year? He would give Joe a chance to show off his big arm.

Streeter is very raw, I doubt we'll see much of him this year. Maybe certain goal-line packages where he can do a Plaxico Burress for us, just throw the ball up and let him go get it, the man is 6 ft 5 in.

However putting him on the practice squad is a risk, might get snapped up

I'd be happy to keep Streeter on the roster and say goodbye to David Reed

Ray Lewis over in London this week, doing 3 days with a football team

He has done a podcast with NFL UK
    Well worth listening to, I enjoyed it anyway

http://www.nfluk.com/opinions/articles/inside-huddle-podcast-107

You can get it in itunes too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

mikemac1 wrote: »

mikemac1 wrote: »

Had a listen to that on my run the other day, ended up clocking one of my fastest times. The man is so motivational it's unreal :D

I thought it wouldn't be done, but Rice is signed. What does this mean for the cap?

987761_o.gif?w=320&h=240

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

matthew8 wrote: »
    I thought it wouldn't be done, but Rice is signed. What does this mean for the cap?

2.7 million saved in cap space

• Advertisement

Good read here, Ed Reed meets with Jason La Confra:

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/19602320/love-of-the-game-will-keep-ravens-reed-coming-back-not-holding-out
    STEVENSON, Md. -- It's another ridiculously humid morning in the Baltimore area and Ed Reed is running around with about 100 kids at his camp, with the heat index at 105 degrees, wearing a vest carrying about 10 pounds of additional weight, no less. For as excited as these youngsters are to be learning from the future Hall of Famer, the most enthusiastic camper seems to be Reed himself.

When a teenager intercepts a pass at the end of Monday's session, and takes it to the imaginary house a la Reed, the safety is the first to greet him in the end zone, sprinting over to congratulate him. Even the most monotonous of drills -- instructing group after group of kids on proper technique to run through a ladder exercise -- has Reed's face aglow, as he urges them on, running alongside some of the youngest campers, stressing the need to stay focused and listen to their parents and teachers along the way.

As the hours mount and the sun settles directly above the glistening facilities at Stevenson University, baking the Division III school where the camp is being held, one thing is abundantly clear: Ed Reed loves football, as much as he ever has. In what has been a murky offseason, with veiled and not-so-veiled threats of a possible holdout, Reed trading shots with critics on Twitter and making cryptic remarks about the Ravens and his future and the business side of the game seemingly overshadowing all, to see the 33-year old in his element, between these lines, is to see a man at peace.

Make no mistake, the deep thinker still has much on his mind, and things to contemplate, as he revealed during a rare exclusive sit-down interview after the campers had departed, but those who know Reed best are confident that he will be back in the purple and black on Sundays this season. I can't imagine any absence of more than a few days at most.

"Everyone is talking about a holdout," said one of Reed's close family members. "Ed isn't going to hold out. He told me he isn't going to hold out. He speaks his mind about some things, gets some things off his chest, but he's never said he is going to hold out. He'll show up when he has to be there and he'll play out his contract."

Reed, set to make $7.2 million in the final year of his deal, stopped just short of proclaiming that he won't hold out. He did concede he goes back and forth about it, but his love of the game has not waned. It is a passion instilled in him from a very young age with his father taking him to the park religiously to play, and watch, sports.

"I love this game, and I put my heart and soul into it," Reed said. "You could see it out here today. I'm sure the Ravens are confident I'll be there for camp, because they know how much I love the game, too. But I'll say this, they're not going to get me for cheap, not a chance.

"People don't know everything that has gone on behind closed doors, and what's been said. A lot of people out there want to judge you, but they don't know what goes into this, and they don't see both sides when it comes to contracts and this business.

"They want to say it's about money, but it's about more than that. I speak up, because there are a lot of guys in this league who can't. I fight for the little guy. This isn't just about me. The things I talk about don't just apply to me."

A chat with Reed has its twists and turns. It can start with discussing the compensation of football players, in this most dangerous of sports, relative to other major pro athletes. In the next breath, on to the violence in hip hop vs. the music of his youth, "that was more about love, more about inspiring each other." Then on to his desire to one day write a screenplay based on his father, an exceptional athlete himself who forged Reed's love of sports. And his work ethic, as Reed remembers hearing his dad leaving their humble home at 4 a.m. to head to work at the shipyard.

Reed is an open book, and will speak what is on his mind, with no interest in "being corporate," as he puts it. ("Football doesn't make us," he said. "It's part of our makeup, but it's not who we are.") He is honest. Maybe too brutally honest for some, which is just part of what makes him such a lightning rod with many detractors.

Ed, Unfiltered.

He also happens to be fairly complicated. And sensitive. It's a combination that can agitate Ravens brass and fans at times.

But lest we forget, the man is also something of a football genius, that rare breed who strikes fear in the likes of Bill Belichick and Tom Brady, (Reed's 57 interceptions lead all active players, he has scored 13 touchdowns, holds records for the longest returns in league history and as recently as 2010 he led the NFL in interceptions despite being limited to 10 games). Whether it be the world of art or music or business, the most creative and talented are often also those whose egos are most easily bruised, who on some level can't help really caring what others think of them.

Combine all of the above, and you have the makings for what has transpired with Reed, the Ravens and the city of Baltimore during this contentious summer, with everything he says or tweets under scrutiny as an aging defense tries to spearhead a Super Bowl run with the clock ticking on Reed and Ray Lewis.

"Don't judge me, or say something attacking me, and not expect me to say something back," Reed said. "There are so many people out there always looking to tear somebody down, without even knowing him. Unless you know a person, how are you going to judge him? You can't express how you feel about your profession, about your career, without someone wanting to tear you down?

"I preach to myself all the time not to let it bother me, to let it go, not to worry about people who want to hate. I don't care as much as I used to, but you still hear it. ...

"Everything is not what people think it is. They talk about you as a football player like you're not living a life, too, like you're not supposed to have a 401k and a 529 plan and all of the things my parents didn't have in Shrewsbury, La."
    Reed, who starred in a playoff game a few years back days after losing his younger brother, remained calm as the sun beat down on us in the bleachers, relaxed behind his shades. His words, in any one sound bite of a radio interview, or as a snapshot, could come off as a screed, when in reality he is merely expressing how he is feeling in that very moment. With Reed, it's always subject to change.

One day he might hint of a holdout. The next, he'll hit the golf course, a siren call to him, surrounded by his closest confidants, good friends and financial advisors Brad Davis and Brad Schwartz, and he could be in a totally different mindset.

No one I talked to in Reed's inner circle thought the man would walk away from the game. But could Reed, who feels underappreciated by the team at times, and felt betrayed when some teammates weighed in on his contract dealings with the Ravens, miss some time the opening week of camp? Would he stir the pot some in that regard, maybe rattle the Ravens' cage a bit to make a point, and possibly spur more dialogue?

Perhaps. But that, too, is part of the business of football, and in a sport without guaranteed deals, Reed wouldn't be the first player to exert what leverage he has.

There is a game of chicken going on here. Reed and the team talked quietly about a new contract after the lockout, according to sources, and the Ravens presented a multiyear deal two days before the 2011 season opener with Pittsburgh, a deal that would keep Reed below $8 million a year (a threshold far less accomplished safeties like Eric Weddle and Michael Huff have reached). From Baltimore's perspective, Reed is much older than those two and has experienced serious neck and hip injuries in recent years as well, making an already touchy negotiation even more delicate.

If Reed has another monster season, could they really let him get away in free agency? But then again, Baltimore is tight against the cap, still must secure Joe Flacco long-term, and has given Ray Rice, Haloti Ngata and Terrell Suggs big deals in the past few years.

Add in the fact that the team has to deal directly with the player in negotiations -- Reed is currently without an agent, and not actively looking to hire one right now -- and the propensity for bruised feelings escalates further.

Reed parted with former representative Eugene Mato some time ago, and, seeing how players and former college teammates have gone broke or lost millions getting bad advice from or being taken advantage of by agents and associates, he is very careful about who he trusts.

"Do I have an agent? No," Reed said. "I am him. Should I hire an agent at some point in time? Possibly. People say I should have an agent, but there are problems on the business side with that, too."

So for now, Reed takes counsel from Davis and Schwartz, from his friends, and from his family. With this football camp in Maryland over, he will host one more in his native Louisiana, and he continues to work with parks and recreations projects through his Ed Reed Foundation, including getting a three-acre multipurpose sports complex constructed in New Orleans.

He'll head to Georgia to spend more time with his son, and swap fatherhood stories with good friend Reggie Wayne ("He's taught me that it's more important to be a Pro Bowl dad than a Pro Bowl player"). And by then the start of camp will be near.

Reed doesn't need the money (notoriously frugal and far less splashy than most NFL stars, he has saved millions, friends say), but is still searching for that first Super Bowl ring, and the Ravens came a dropped ball in the end zone from playing for a championship a year ago.

It should be noted that Reed seemed genuinely touched that defensive coordinator Dean Pees stopped by camp Monday to say hello, and they continue to be in contact. And Reed broke down every huddle at his camp with the chant, "1,2,3 Ravens!" Staying away from camp, for more than a day or two, would be a shocker.

Before too long you'll probably find Ed Reed back at his locker, purposely situated in a part of the locker room populated by undrafted free agents and relative no-names. There he's most at home, looking to impart wisdom of matters on field and off, and preparing for what could be yet another All-Pro campaign.

Advertisement