Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clare GAA discussion thread

• 28-01-2010 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Thought I'd start this thread as haven't found one of the same.

So, 2010.. new decade... new beginnings? With the aim of the League being to get back into Division 1, could Clare also achieve success in Munster this year?

The fixtures for 2010:

31.01.2010 Waterford v Clare(Waterford Crystal Cup SF)

21.02.2010 Clare v Down (NHL)
    28.02.2010 Laois v Clare (NHL)
    14.03.2010 Clare v Wexford (NHL)
    21.03.2010 Antrim v Clare (NHL)
    28.03.2010 Carlow v Clare (NHL)
    04.04.2010 Clare v Westmeath (NHL)
    18.04.2010 Kildare v Clare (NHL)

07.06.2010 Waterford v Clare (MHC)

As well as a proposed friendly versus Cork, Ger O'Loughlin has a good load of matches to blood players from U-21's into the senior game. With the opponents in the League not posing a major threat some would argue Clare wont get as much preparation as Div 1 teams, but maybe it will give them an opportunity to focus on their strength and conditioning?

So, Clare face Waterford on Sunday at 2pm in Ballyduff Upper.. I think they should win against this weakened Waterford side, but I think it will be close tbh. But could Waterford topple us in the pre season tournament?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Think it's a tough game to call for Sunday, I'd say yerselves will prob beat us. Could see ye getting a lot of confidence for the season if ye go on to win this tournament-getting off on the right foot and all that. I don't think ye being in Division 2 will make much of a difference tbh, we'll be playing mostly players that won't be featuring in the Championship anyway so it'll be an intriuging clash on 7th June, big build up with the Davy Fitz factor and that!
    Good win for ye the other night v a strong enough Tipp, that'll give ye a boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭eroo

Cake Man wrote: »
    Think it's a tough game to call for Sunday, I'd say yerselves will prob beat us. Could see ye getting a lot of confidence for the season if ye go on to win this tournament-getting off on the right foot and all that. I don't think ye being in Division 2 will make much of a difference tbh, we'll be playing mostly players that won't be featuring in the Championship anyway so it'll be an intriuging clash on 7th June, big build up with the Davy Fitz factor and that!
    Good win for ye the other night v a strong enough Tipp, that'll give ye a boost.

To try and go unbeaten in the Waterford Crystal and the League would definitely boost the team. I think that could be easily done. But Munster is always well contested by teams so it will be interesting to see teams form over the coming months!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭deisedude

eroo wrote: »
    To try and go unbeaten in the Waterford Crystal and the League would definitely boost the team. I think that could be easily done. But Munster is always well contested by teams so it will be interesting to see teams form over the coming months!

How much of a diadvantage do you think playing in division 2 will be? The difference in speed and intensity between Division 2 and 1 is enormous IMO. Hardly ideal preparation for Munster championship

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

I suppose it's important for Clare not to get too carried away / impatient with their U-21 success. There is plenty of evidence to show that it mightn't transpire to much as senior level, Limerick being the obvious example.

In saying that, I hear Sparrow is an example appointment and he should be give 3/4 years to work with the Clare hurling team. Obviously he needs to show progress but they shouldn't kick him out over unrealistic demands.

deisedude wrote: »
    How much of a diadvantage do you think playing in division 2 will be? The difference in speed and intensity between Division 2 and 1 is enormous IMO. Hardly ideal preparation for Munster championship
    That's true, we are at a disadvantage in the sense of match experience this season. But if we were to win Div 2 title and be promoted after an unbeaten run, confidence would shine through which would set us up well mentally. Munster will be a major hurdle no doubt.
    I suppose it's important for Clare not to get too carried away / impatient with their U-21 success. There is plenty of evidence to show that it mightn't transpire to much as senior level, Limerick being the obvious example.

In saying that, I hear Sparrow is an example appointment and he should be give 3/4 years to work with the Clare hurling team. Obviously he needs to show progress but they shouldn't kick him out over unrealistic demands.

I think it's fair to say maybe most of the U-21's will not make it through to the senior game long term, for various reasons. But Sparrow should be given a Development Contract by the County Board for 3-4 years to implement a comprehensive management and player development structure. But that requires the board to do something positive!

• Advertisement

Heavy defeat today against Waterford! Onwards and upwards with team selections for the League!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

What went wrong,there, I wonder. Did'nt expect them to flop like that.

What went wrong,there, I wonder. Did'nt expect them to flop like that.

Well considering they had a match against Tipp on Tuesday and have probably been training as well I'd imagine fatigue is a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Won't be as easy as people think for Clare to bounce back up to Div. 1, some decent hurling teams in Div. 2, I wouldn't consider any of those games clearcut wins for Clare (bar Down).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Dublin went unbeaten in Division 2 winning that league a few years ago. They then proceeded to lose to Westmeath in the Leinster Championship.

Division 2 hurling is a death sentence IMO.

• Advertisement

Depends completely on the management imo - if they take the league seriously, take their opposition seriously, train hard and mix in friendlies against superior opposition then it shouldn't be too bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Eroo what did you make of Davy Fitz's comments after the game? In summary he suggested that Clare played poorly on purpose to play mind games and try make us complacent for our Munster clash in the summer.

Link

He doesn't half mind being in the limelight that man does he?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

Daysha wrote: »
    Eroo what did you make of Davy Fitz's comments after the game? In summary he suggested that Clare played poorly on purpose to play mind games and try make us complacent for our Munster clash in the summer.

Link

He doesn't half mind being in the limelight that man does he?

Curse those deise devils copping onto our ingenius plan ;)
    Interesting comments alright, but by saying that Davy is clearly using mind games of his own.
    If this has started already from both sides I can't wait for the banter around June.

Orizio wrote: »
    Depends completely on the management imo - if they take the league seriously, take their opposition seriously, train hard and mix in friendlies against superior opposition then it shouldn't be too bad.

Clare will be bringing in a good few of the U21 team this year so you might have the scenario where a few lads will be facing into their first championship game having only played against the likes of Kildare and Westmeath. Thats a serious baptism of fire IMO. I don't think challenge games really compensate, a lot of teams dont go full out in those games

Clare will be bringing in a good few of the U21 team this year so you might have the scenario where a few lads will be facing into their first championship game having only played against the likes of Kildare and Westmeath. Thats a serious baptism of fire IMO. I don't think challenge games really compensate, a lot of teams dont go full out in those games

They are only playing Waterford in the first round Deise, after months of playing Down and Kildare they'll be more then ready for your lot. ;)

They are only playing Waterford in the first round Deise, after months of playing Down and Kildare they'll be more then ready for your lot. ;)

I must admit i LOLed

We'll see in June folks!! ;)

Clare 1-9 Wicklow 0-11

Nice to see the footballers have gotten off to a winning start in the NFL!

Clare 2-20 Down 0-6

An expected win, good to see a winning score in the League this year! Laois on Sunday, another comfortable win I would imagine. I think the only benefits Div 2 is giving us is the chance to give the U-21 players experience at senior inter county level. The other benefit is we can work on our pre season programme, hopefully we will be better prepared than most teams.

The footballers are doing great with 2 good wins out of 2 played. Getting out of Div 4 is a serious goal, along with Kilmurray-Ibrackane hopefully becoming All Ireland champions.

Onwards and upwards!!

Down are a Div 3 team and will be relegated, while Laois are on their way up, and nearly beat Limerick in the championship last year. Its on in Moore Park as well yes?

Clare by 4-5 points but certainly not a hammering.

• Advertisement

Down are a Div 3 team and will be relegated, while Laois are on their way up, and nearly beat Limerick in the championship last year. Its on in Moore Park as well yes?

Yes I would imagine it wont be an easy win. Wouldn't mind seeing it but can't make it.

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

Down had in the region of 20 wides against Clare in Ennis ,
    if Clare give Laois as many chances they'll be beaten .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Down were in Division 1 in the recent past. I'd say Kildare or Westmeath would be more likely for relegation.

Down were in Division 1 in the recent past. I'd say Kildare or Westmeath would be more likely for relegation.

No chance. Westmeath are one of the best teams in Div 2.

Could it be that Clare get promoted and Limerick relegated this season? If so it's further bad news for Munster hurling.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Evil_Clown

I think this game on Sunday really depends on the team Clare put out. They will more than likely beat Laois but it may be a closer game than expected if they play a weakened team. A good few of the younger lads were playin with their colleges this week so they might be given a rest.

Evil_Clown wrote: »
    A good few of the younger lads were playin with their colleges this week so they might be given a rest.

I would hope so. The last thing we need is the players who need senior experience being injured or overtrained.

Aertel has it Laois 0-4 Clare 1-4

Second half should be interesting if it's this close!

Clare two up at HT with the breeze in the second half. Sounds like a terrible game.

• Advertisement

2-9 to 1-10 to Clare.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement