Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Horizons

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Amazing and beautiful!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Hmmzis wrote: »
    And the first images from yesterday are up now. It's becoming more and more detailed and more and more puzzling. There don't appear to be any huge or big craters, it's strangely reflective (sort of like clouds or mist or frost maybe, haven't got a clue to be honest).

I've managed to enhance part of the image:

354629.jpg

That's no moon!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Curly Judge

I've managed to enhance part of the image:

354629.jpg

That's no moon!

George Lucas waz 'ere!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,906 ✭✭✭SarahBM

Is that Jar Jar Binx I see???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭_Tombstone_

It's gonna take 16 months apparently to send back all the data they'll collect over the next week.

Their's a sky at night special called Pluto Revealed on Monday 20th at 10 on BBC4.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b006mk7h

I'm sick of all these blurry pics.

• Advertisement

Pluto's heart is now showing:HEART070815_Pluto_color_new_NASA-JHUAPL-SWRI.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Looks more like an X to me than a heart assuming what the bottom right side turns out like.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,369 ✭✭✭irishgeo

in reality how far away from pluto when it passes by and how fast will it going?

irishgeo wrote: »
    in reality how far away from pluto when it passes by and how fast will it going?

13,000Km away, whizzing past at 14Km/s.

In 4 days, 14 hours and 57 minutes.

http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/index.php

• Registered Users Posts: 12,142 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Isn't it just a big lump of ice and rock?

Id be far more interested in sending probes like this to examine the moons around Jupiter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

MadYaker wrote: »

Id be far more interested in sending probes like this to examine the moons around Jupiter.
    Its going to happen alright. I think there's landers planned as well, although not Europa.
    We must attempt no landing there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭ps200306

That's what the dinosaurs said! :eek: ;)

dino_cartoon.gif

And what exactly do you think this gaff is made up of?

And what exactly do you think this gaff is made up of?

Or Jupiter's moons for that matter! :pac:

http://www.nasa.gov/feature/nasa-missions-have-their-eyes-peeled-on-pluto

NASA brings a whole fleet of its heavy guns to bear on Pluto as the flyby date approaches.

http://pluto.jhuapl.edu/index.php

Only three and a half days left until closest encounter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

http://www.nasa.gov/feature/nasa-missions-have-their-eyes-peeled-on-pluto

NASA brings a whole fleet of its heavy guns to bear on Pluto as the flyby date approaches.

It's great to see that Kepler has been revived.

It's great to see that Kepler has been revived.

Yeah ...Its an awesome piece of kit!

Some good little vids here "Pluto in a minute" if you've 10mins to spare.

Talks about speeds, not knowing when to start taking pics cuz they don't actually know "exactly" where pluto is, why Horizon can't stop. Good stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/user/NASANewHorizons/videos

Will Pluto be reclassified as a Planet? Maybe.

Q&A with some of the main people.

http://www.popsci.com/could-new-horizons-probe-reinstate-plutos-status-planet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭greedygoblin

That 3rd criterion in the official definition always seemed a bit wishy washy to me. He made a good point that if Pluto fails the test then Neptune must, by extension, also fail.

Even if the dwarf planet category remains in place, at the very least I hope this mission will lead to a more robust definition.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

_84169973_84169972.jpg

Pluto flyby team AMA Tuesday Morning

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/

Latest from Pluto at a mere 1 million km:

071215_Pluto_Alone.png

And Charon:

071215_charon_alone.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Latest from Pluto at a mere 1 million km:

071215_Pluto_Alone.png

And Charon:

071215_charon_alone.png

Amazing looking places. Looks like a huge fault or chasm on Charon's right side in that image.

I have nasa's "eyes on the solar system" up on my pc. One thing i would like to know is: is what i see on screen "live" or based on the received signal, in this case 4.5hrs delayed? So if nasa sends a signal to new horizons to point LORRI at pluto, does the "live" image i see on my pc move at the same time as the real thing. This is important stuff!!

shedweller wrote: »
    I have nasa's "eyes on the solar system" up on my pc. One thing i would like to know is: is what i see on screen "live" or based on the received signal, in this case 4.5hrs delayed? So if nasa sends a signal to new horizons to point LORRI at pluto, does the "live" image i see on my pc move at the same time as the real thing. This is important stuff!!

NASA aren't sending instructions to the probe anymore, it's all automated.

With respect to the photos updating, they wouldn't be in any way 'live' (even accounting for the 4.5 hour lag). The probe will be collecting a lot of data, not just photographs, and its connection to Earth is somewhere in the region of 1 kilobit per second, it also can't send data to Earth all the time, it needs to rotate and point its antenna in our direction to do so.

During the encounter it will go quiet, do its work, and only begin transmitting to Earth again once it has left the Pluto system. It will start back up with a status report which will let NASA know whether it completed its mission before it starts beaming back the goods.

NASA aren't sending instructions to the probe anymore, it's all automated.

With respect to the photos updating, they wouldn't be in any way 'live' (even accounting for the 4.5 hour lag). The probe will be collecting a lot of data, not just photographs, and its connection to Earth is somewhere in the region of 1 kilobit per second, it also can't send data to Earth all the time, it needs to rotate and point its antenna in our direction to do so.

During the encounter it will go quiet, do its work, and only begin transmitting to Earth again once it has left the Pluto system. It will start back up with a status report which will let NASA know whether it completed its mission before it starts beaming back the goods.
    Cheers for that. Yeah i was reading a bit on the planetary societies website and it said as much. On the "eyes on the solar system" it is a computer rendering of the probe but it is rotating slowly at the moment with all its sensors lighting up various areas of pluto, charon etc. I was wondering if this was "real time" or not. I suppose it is??
    Anyway, 18h45m left to go! Popcorn is ready!:)

shedweller wrote: »
    Cheers for that. Yeah i was reading a bit on the planetary societies website and it said as much. On the "eyes on the solar system" it is a computer rendering of the probe but it is rotating slowly at the moment with all its sensors lighting up various areas of pluto, charon etc. I was wondering if this was "real time" or not. I suppose it is??
    Anyway, 18h45m left to go! Popcorn is ready!:)

Ah I guess I misunderstood you. :o I haven't looked at Eyes on the Solar System myself, but I'd bet it would be 'live', since they know exactly what the probe should be doing right now. ;)

• Advertisement

I was just playing around with it and the preview button allows you to ffwd through tomorrows events at any speed you wish. Really busy day ahead!

Advertisement