Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Live self-Builds - mod warning in post no. 1

• 05-01-2007 8:17pm

Mod Note - 9/10/2012: This thread is for discussing the various aspects of building as they arise. Do not use this thread for "pre-building" queries. Such queries should be posted in their own threads.

How many people on boards are in the process of building their own homes at the moment, have recently completed or planning to do so in the near future.

I am about 3/4 of the way through a self-build.
    It would be interesting to have a "live" list of current self-builds on the forum.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

I'll probably be posting at some stage in the first half of this year. Have the plans done up in autocad (unless I change them again :( ) and have got a few quotes so will prolly push ahead sometime soon. I'll keep a step by step online diary of sorts if I go ahead with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

hi Kenzie Hundreds Matchbox, i'm a bit behind you, but about to start the roof in the
    next couple of weeks building a "traditional! :) 1.5 storey

What roof tiles did you use?

• De_man wrote:

What roof tiles did you use?

Tegral trutone, Blue/black (artificial) slates, I think they look very nice,

I was originally going to go for concrete but the roofer said "just look at that one over there" - points to a neighbour who had concrete tiles... No contest! slates it was, double the price though but worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭De_man

Thanks very much for that it looks as if i'll be using something similar
    i had intended to use the welsh "bangor blues" but at a cost of over 25K
    for the slates alone, i just can't afford it.

that idea of yours in having a "live list" is excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭Pataman

I am just about finished my self build, 1.5 stories over basement. What a sucker for puinshment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,921 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

De_man wrote:
    Thanks very much for that it looks as if i'll be using something similar
    i had intended to use the welsh "bangor blues" but at a cost of over 25K
    for the slates alone, i just can't afford it.

that idea of yours in having a "live list" is excellent
    I know of a church in Dublin, very large roof, high pitch, that was covered in blue bangors. They did it up last year and threw all them into the skip. These were original bangors, I can't remember the area of the roof, maybe 2000m2. Into the bin. Anyone building at the time could of pick up a 25k set of slates for a few quid to the contractor and truck to transport..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 MMW

I've (we) just started a self build,
    at the moment we're to sub-floor level
    we're building a 2 stoey house
    3500 sq ft (started out a lot smaller)
    waiting to put in geothermal underfloor heating
    biocycle in
    well drilled
    building using ICF
    waiting for house to sell to move into mobile on site

• MMW wrote:
    building using ICF
    waiting for house to sell to move into mobile on site

What ICF system are you using? we used "Eurozone" PM me if you want details.

Have you got electricity & telephone on site? I found that you need to plan this well in advance, 14 month notice and Eircom still didn't do it in time.

We're using Biocycle system as well, expensive to buy, but hopefully cheaper to service in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭barry75

i am the plasterboarding stage of a 1.5 storey house,its hard going especially putting up the boards on the ceiling!Finally got the plasterer to come and put a scratch coat on the outside,weather has delayed a lot of things especially with the roofer,but the roof is all done now :) next stage is to get the plastering finished outside and get the scaffold off hire.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,099 ✭✭✭whitelightrider

We currently have a site sorted and our plans have just been submitted to the Planning Office in Galway. Guess now it's just a waiting game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Salmon

Hi all!

Just at the sub-floor level on a two storey build in the midlands! Waiting for a decent day to get the finished floor in and then hopefully we can start putting up the walls a couple of weeks after that! Theres a lot of organising involved, but i'm enjoying it so far!!

• Administrators, Sports Moderators Posts: 21,676 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭smashey

I like this thread and will sticky it so that we can have constant updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭0lordy

Just at the roof stage of a 1.5 storey house.

Geothermal, solar panels, underfloor heating, solid fuel stove & backboiler. Yep, we should be warm enough anyway...
    Thinking about "The automated home" concept, but funds won't stretch to that any time soon, so just want to future proof the house if at all possible.
    Concrete slabs in upstairs.
    Envirocare-type system to go in
    Tegral Trutone to go on the roof

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭Tipperarymike

the sticky that is, maybe less so the punishment of a self build. We are about to get a start on the roof of ours. L shaped,two story, single story build about 2600sq ft or thereabouts. As someone above stated, started out a lot smaller! Well drilled, ESB paid, robbing fkers! Unusual structure this one is to say the least, costing way more than we have planned or was that prayed for, cant remember which. Some of the roof is done in the sense that it contains a LOT of steel, there is the unusual bit, waiting on timber to complement that now and away we go into the financial abyss that is self build

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

just about to start plastering stages

4500 sq.ft. two storey in the rainy south east :(

build route main contractor for shell, 2nd fix and finish directly contracted

always happy to share success stories (we've had a few) and mistakes (a couple!)

SSE

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

De-man and others contemplating what to use on the roof we were in the same dilemma last year with our self build...we're in the house now but there is still more interior stuff to be done and electricians and plumbers (and thanks to plumbers the plasters) are all due another visit or two back to us....anyway we used Capco black clay tiles on our roof they look FAB. They have lovely cappings and verge tiles which really finish the roof. Many people have stopped on the road to compliment and enquire about them as they are very unusual. We bought them from Blue Bangor Slate company in Dublin...they sell nationwide (now De-man give Seamus a call there anyway 'cos he does a great range of slates and is excellent to deal with)...and would highly recommend them.

Best of luck to everyone on their self build. Some of the things we learned...

Most trades are difficult to deal with as they all have too much money, too much work and way too much attitude. The "Good luck and f..k you attitude" is far to prevalent. So be firm but nice and don't let them talk you out of anything that you have well reasearched and know will work...'cos some of the lazy feckers out there will talk you out of anything they don't know about or anything that might cause a little extra work! (One plumber told a friend of ours recently not to bother with solar! We have it and it's fab even on days like today we are getting Jan 9 we are getting almost 30 degrees off the solar panels!)

Spend as much money as you possibly can on insulation (put insulated plasterboards on external walls..works great)

Do go for wood pellet and solar the grants are there for the taking. But in order to make wpb cost effective you must have bulk storage for your pellets. I would say if you can't afford bulk storage don't go for wpb.

Don't worry if your houses are way to big for your current needs. If you have children or plan on having them as they grow they need more and more space so you will never have to add on extra rooms, convert attics, add on conservatories or convert garges to accommodate your growing family.

Put down solid timber floors they look fab and are really easy to keep. The solid timber flooring that you finish yourself (or your fitter) looks even better than the factory finished stuff.

Have plenty of ensuites - great when you have guests etc and as kids get older. If you have small kids and don't want to use them until a few years time so be it but plan for the future now.

Downstairs loo...preferably not in your utility is a must.

Don't have your back door opening into your utility...loads of friends so and we don't and it's so much better...then your utility can be messy with laundry etc and it's only you that will see it...otherwise everyone that comes into through your back door will see any untidiness in it.

Put in walk in wardrobes. They are fab.

If you plan a play room put it off your living room...it works a treat.

Black windows and Artic (brand) coloured doors look fab.

Think long and hard about your electrics...mistakes cost money.

Future proof as much as you can.

You will never have enough money! Everyone runs out of money. Near the end of the funds finish everything you can and then plan for other stuff later.

There is no need to spend a huge amount on landscaping straight away..you can build your garden over your lifetime as a hobby. We just cleaned up the place and put down pebbles and put up nice timber stud fencing and you would be surprised how much it improved the whole place and made it much cleaner and much more pleasant to live in.

Best of luck.

Don't hesitate to ask any of us questions. Pooling info is the best thing about this task.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

Our place is outside Prosperous in Co. Kildare will be 2,600 sq ft or so when its finished. We put in what we wanted (even though it stretched the funds to breaking point!!), i.e.

a large sitting room (26ft * 16ft) for entertaining

a large kitchen, come diner, come sitting/tv/multifuel stove area (26ft * 24ft)

5 bedrooms, (2 ensuite) with walk in wardrobes

A large family bathroom with separate bath and shower

A playroom (16ft * 16ft) for the kids where they can do what they please as we can lock the door and ignore the mess until it needs a real clean up. As they get older, it'll be their space for entertaining friends.

We had insulation put into the subfloor, the walls and roof space above what is specified in the building regulations. This is money well spent as we'll recoup the cost in time in money saved on heating bills.

The downside for all prospective self builders is to take the timeline given by your builder and to double it. We were told it would take 4 1/2 months to do our house (I estimated 6 myself) but it'll be nearer 9 months by the time its finished. Its been stated above by previous posters, but the arrogance of the builder, and his sub contractors is breath taking. When you take into account that you are paying these people hundreds of thousands of euro and they treat you with barely concealed contempt, then your own temper can soon reach breaking point, like mine did recently. My wife thought I'd annoy the builder so much when I let loose at him, that he'd walk away but thankfully it had the opposite effect and he got stuck in and things are progressing again. Still I reckon it'll be April before its finished

• Registered Users Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭tinofapples

I have the plumber and electrician doing their 1st fixes at the moment in a 2200 sq ft dormer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

Good luck to all you new builds, We "finished"(i don't think you ever finish) ours 2 years ago, i took 8 mths and lots of money luckly the house is passive solar and we insulated within and inch of its life so even on the coldest day we run the heating for 3 hours max an hr in the morning and 2 in the evening, we only light the fire at christmas when everybody is at home or the odd quite night in :D and then we melt, installing solar on the roof as i type so that should save plenty of money in the summer for the hot water requirements i have two kids who love the power shower and will spend 20/30 min in there each. also installing a multi fuel stove in the living room soon, did not want to do it before christmas as we will redecorate at the same time. one thing I would recommend if you can build a garage it is a lot cheaper now when the trades are on site and you cannot live without it. I see so many new houses without them and a little barna shed stuck at the bottom of the garden Trust me you will be glad you did and if you keep it under a certain size you don't need extra planing premission.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭hiscan

i agree about the garage as a plasterer myself i dont charge alotwhen doing garages the same time as the house because its easier to do it while your there doing the housebut its alot more hassle and money to go back 6 or 7 months later plus it doesnt cost much to build a garage while your doing the house because as musha says you have all the tradesmen on site

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Naux

I will be starting the selfbuild (2500sqft 2storey with 500sqft seperate garage+office) in the next 2 months.I'm currently going through a further information phase with the planners. No doubt I'll be picking yer brains on this forum for the next 12 to 18 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭AJL

Building in kildare. At second fixing stage finished floor poured and closed up.
    Built a kingspan Tek house with air heat pump attached to a hi veliocity air unit. Solar panels, internal vacuum

Was bloody hard work but rewarding. Got guys into do the work I organised it. Even though I have carpenters plumbers doing the work find I'm spending all my time at it. Started in July will hopefully finish end of March . Find it requires 100% focus with family life suffering but for a years pain hoping will have years of good living in the house.
    Agree with the garage thing. Have it completely finished and it is a god send. You can store all your gear in there securely. Also future proofed it with sewage pipes and electrics and insulated it .Just have it there for a parent or maybe one of the kids when they want their own space!

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭frankie2shoes

just got planning in kilkenny.
    going timberframe and are close to signing with kingspan (expensive but always reply to calls/mails with professional, honest, approach- worth a lot to us)
    still in the geothermal or wpb/solar dilemma. edging towards geo though.
    house will be 2500sq ft 4 bed finished in a lime render.
    no sods turn yet, do you need a politician for this!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Viking House

Are you putting the lime render directly onto the Timber Frame Frankie or onto an external block, what is your build up starting from the inside? How much is the century frame?

How are you finishing off the inside and outside of the TEK house AJL?
    I'd be interested to hear what the daily temperature fluctuations are like in the TEK house when the heating is turned off and the windows are closed.

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭frankie2shoes

am not rendering direct to timberframe am putting block layer in front. considered the alternatives but they were either of comparable cost or just did'nt offer the strength of a block layer.
    the frame will be in and around 65k including tax, erection and crane hire, which ain't cheap but they offer better service and build frame to match foundation (ie they re-jig frame if foundation is more than 10mm out from plans to ensure precise fit). no one else we spoke to offered this.
    also they got back to us promptly which is more than can be said of nearly all the other timberframers including you!!!!!!
    but this is going off thread which is who is self-building at the moment.
    best of luck to everyone

• Administrators, Sports Moderators Posts: 21,676 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭smashey

Viking House & frankie2shoes,

Please stay on topic here. This thread is mostly to do with the status and cost of self-builds.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭AJL

Are you putting the lime render directly onto the Timber Frame Frankie or onto an external block, what is your build up starting from the inside? How much is the century frame?

How are you finishing off the inside and outside of the TEK house AJL?
    I'd be interested to hear what the daily temperature fluctuations are like in the TEK house when the heating is turned off and the windows are closed.

Block on outside.

Slabbed and skimmed inside. Will let you know when I get the heating started

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Galwaybuild

Building in Galway, 2500sqft and waiting for plasterer to return and do the inside, then second fix Plumbing and electrics. Haven't decided on central heating yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭boarduser01

Building a 1.5 story timberframe house (no dormers, veluxes only!) in Galway, hoping plumber finally turns up today to do first fix (only waiting for three weeks for him so far!).

Then we are onto slabbing the walls.... any advice on dry-lining greatfully received.

Ground-source heat-pump to supply underfloor heating only,
    then going with solar panels for domestic hot water, and back up using a solid fuel range!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mayo self-build

Hi there,

Recently applied for planning for a 2300 sq ft house in Mayo... so will keep people up to speed. Will no doubt be on here loads of times looking for advice, etc!

Advertisement