Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Best Place You Have Visited

• 19-03-2019 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭

Among mine would be Niagra Falls and the temples in Cambodia.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,100 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

New Zealand. Loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Poochie05

Alaska, so good I went twice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Isreal was the first thing to come to mind but on further reflection, Hungary

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭pjproby

Argentina

• Registered Users Posts: 9,998 ✭✭✭Caranica

Hoi An Vietnam is heaven on earth. My favourite place on the planet.

Loved NZ and Alaska too, as well as San Antonio Texas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Scenery wise - Banff National Park in Alberta and the Going to the Sun Road in Montana were stunning.

Cities - Vancouver, Oslo and Reykjavik. I loved their vibes. My kind of towns. Honorable mentions go to Hamburg and Ljubljana.

Oddest places I've been - Anchorage, Bethlehem and Skopje.

• Registered Users Posts: 711 ✭✭✭wijam

Great question

Top of the list has to be Luxor

Valley of the Kings - absolute gob smack material

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,268 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

South Africa. Absolutely amazing country, been a long time since I was there, I'd love to go back. More recently, Seattle. The only American city I've ever visited that I could happily see myself living in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

spurious wrote: »
    New Zealand. Loved it.

Lived in NZ for five years and nowhere has really come close for scenery, although the Himmilayas were pretty cool.

My favourite city I ever visited has to be Singapore. Couldn't recommend it enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

My favourite is not anywhere exotic. It was Falkirk in Stirlingshire. I was tracing my family roots, and the warmth of the welcome given to me by my newly found cousins was wonderful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,612 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Easter Island at night on my own at the remotest, highest point on the island. Was like being in space with the unspoiled cloudless view of the stars stretching down to the horizon and all around me.

Fantastic underground cave complex there too stretching for miles.

Japan is my favourite country though. Ethiopia second.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭Greg81

Sun Road in Montana were stunning.

Just checked that out and added to my bucket list.

Super hard question for me. So many awesome places on Earth.

Moraine Lake in Rocky Mountains Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Sri Lanka

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

Greg81 wrote: »
    Just checked that out and added to my bucket list.

Super hard question for me. So many awesome places on Earth.

Moraine Lake in Rocky Mountains Canada.

If you've ever seen the opening sequence to The Shining with Jack Nicholson driving up the the hotel (the real Overlook hotel is in Oregon I think) that's the Going to the Sun road. It's a beautiful drive.

I was lucky enough to live and work at Moraine Lake for a few months when I lived in Canada. It's spectacular. The colour of the water is unbelievable. Peyto Lake nearby is also worth checking out. Icefields Parkway is another spectacular drive in that area.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Seville

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭barney shamrock

New York.
    We saved for 18 months and went for 7 nights with our teenage children.
    We did and saw everything, visited all the sights, walked the Brooklyn bridge, went to a show, staten island ferry etc etc
    It was the holiday of a lifetime, don't think we'll ever top it.
    Hopefully we gave the kids some memories for life, only realised how special a holiday it was for all of us when we got home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭Greg81

I was lucky enough to live and work at Moraine Lake for a few months when I lived in Canada. It's spectacular. The colour of the water is unbelievable. Peyto Lake nearby is also worth checking out. Icefields Parkway is another spectacular drive in that area.

Done all above 5 years ago in June/July. Road trip from Edmonton to Vancouver (and all the areas nearby). Epic places on the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭BobbyBobberson

Some really nice answers here, such a subjective question. Lovely to see how different places meant different things to people.

Especially when we constantly see articles such as ten best places to visit or ten most "instagramable" places etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

Drove from Vancouver to Jasper and all the way down to the Sun Road, spent 2 weeks doing it stopping off in Banff , Lake Louise and Waterton. Amazing place. Icefields parkway was breathtaking.

New Zealand was just as nice. 3 weeks driving around. Mostly in the south. Abel Tasman national park would be somewhere underrated that I’d recommend to spend a few days in.

City wise, New York, Barcelona and Lisbon in that order.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Banff National Park, Lake Louise, and Lake Emerald are definitely in the "places I didn't spend enough time in, so I must go back".

Santorini was the one place so far that simply took my breath away.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,684 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Fjord Norway, just spectacular; hiking in the mountains, drinking from snow melt rivers, swimming and fishing in the fjords. A dreamland.

Tropical island Maldives, a slice of paradise.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭RIALTO1

Matera in Italy, stopped there after seeing it in a BBC food/history show back in 2015. Coincided with it being announced the capital of culture for 2019. So atmospheric and didn't have any predefined expectations. Hope it's the same now as has become increasingly popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭Corvo

A second vote for New York here. You could be a billionaire, live four lifetimes and you still would be surprised every time you experience it. A wonderful place and one of the few times in my life I enjoyed mixing up my trip with some tourist stuff, which usually drives me crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,913 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Of all the places I have visited over the years, city breaks etc, Rome was the one city that really lived up to expectations for me. Loved it.

And Cuba too, lovely place, Havana was amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,612 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

If anyone is interested, I might put a word in for getting an Oculus Go and the Wander app.

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/go/1887977017892765/

I've been able to revisit my favourite places in VR and literally be able to look up and around as if I was there again...like the other night I was able to stand on the summit of Kilimanjaro again...but **** me if I'll ever get up there again in my life. Bitch of a trek.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭dennyk

All the places I've visited have been pretty cool, but if I had to pick a favourite, I'd have to say Lake Como in Italy. Definitely the most beautiful area I've been to yet, and it made for a wonderfully relaxing road trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 galway23

Cinque Terre in Italy. Any of the five villages. Felt like I was in a bond movie or was gone back in time. Absolutely gorgeous.

Advertisement