Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Engineer Fee Fair?

• 19-03-2019 10:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi
    I am looking to get an opinion of users here on an invoice I have recieved from a Structural Engineer.

When purchasing a property I had hoped to get funding for a small kitchen extension and engaged with an Structural Engineer to ask them to visit and advise cost of same. They quoted me 2.5k + vat for inital site visit , production of drawings for pricing, site visits during construction and certification. There was no breakdown of this fee attached.

The engineer spent 30 mins visiting the house to take measurements and sent me a basic drawing of the ground floor layout, existing and proposed, they stated more details would follow.

As things transpired I was unable to secure funding for renovations and could not proceed. The engineer has sent me an invoice of 800+vat for the 30min visit and drawings.

I would welcome the opinion of this board if they believe this price is fair? I did not sign any contract with this firm initally and did not get a price breakdown. As the engineer said themselves the drawings were provisional and have no great detail in them, that they could be used down the line.

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Very fair.
    You would not have gotten the drawings without a substantial initial payment in the first place if it was me doing the job to be completely honest.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

You changed the agreement

Proposed fee seems very fair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭nujbvi0pwref8c

Fair price I’d say. Site visit from Engineer (few minutes) is €500 + vat, from experience

Advertisement