Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New Zealand Angling

• 16-03-2019 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭

Anyone here fish for trout in New Zealand. Contemplating going there. Where do I go to fish. Can fishing rods be hired. What is the best time of year to go there.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Mach Two wrote: »
    Anyone here fish for trout in New Zealand. Contemplating going there. Where do I go to fish. Can fishing rods be hired. What is the best time of year to go there.

I was there on honeymoon but the wife was understanding and let me get a few days fishing in. Unless you book a guide you're better off bringing your own gear - if you're going just for fishing bring everything you need yourself. I had a guide for one day and did a few days self-guided - to be honest the guide was amazing and well worth it, put me over some serious fish. Even on my own I had some good fishing and spotted some amazing trout, although I struggled to catch the big ones.

South Island is known for the best trout fishing, particularly Otago and the west coast. That said, I had a day fishing a trib of Lake Taupo on the north island that blew my mind on what was possible - watching a pod of fish between 6-8lbs taking terrestrials but by God they were wary!

There is an Irish guy - Ronan Creane - guiding out of Cromwell, who is well worth booking. He updates a blog here: https://www.sexyloops.com/blog/ that's a must-read if you're thinking of heading over.

Oh, if you bring your own gear make sure it is spotlessly clean before you travel - they take bio-security seriously and if you have muddy boots the customs guys won't be happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭capnsparkles

Fished with Ronan a few times at home , would give him a big thumbs up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

There’s a lad from Naas doing some guiding there too, targets the big fish on the canals.
    New Zealand Trophy Fish on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭Mach Two

I should have stated that I hoped to fish rivers in New Zealand.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Mach Two wrote: »
    I should have stated that I hoped to fish rivers in New Zealand.

That's all I fished but sometimes the rivers are in flood and you might have to fish lake margins... apparently that can be incredibly good too.

Seriously, check out Ronan's blog and look back through the archive, will really what your appetite and give you a few ideas on where to go and methods to use... https://www.sexyloops.com/blog/2019/03/24/one-extreme-to-the-other-and-the-piscatorial-pot-2019/

If I was going again I would book a few days with him before I even looked at flights.

• Advertisement
Advertisement