Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help/Contact needed for cutting of driveway gate design

• 17-03-2019 2:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭

Hi all,

I'm moving into a property (hopefully) soon and there are no gates on the driveway. I've designed a set of gates myself on CAD and am looking to get these made/cut/lasered, either out of Alu or SS. They are quite large, the largest single part is approximately 2.5m x 2.5m with the overall dimensions at 4.6m x 2.5m. I'm wondering if any of you have any suggestions of people to contact (please PM details) or had any experience in the past yourselves that you would like to share?

I'm thinking of using a supplier I've found through Alibaba but have had no experience so would also like to hear peoples experience using the suppliers on this?

Anything anyone could share with me I would really appreciate it even if its just material suggestions, do's and don'ts etc.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,141 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

2.5m high?
    Planning?

Post a picture of the CAD drawing.
    What will gates weigh?

Have you the piers built?
    Whats the plan for hinges?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Bungusbeefcake

2.5m high?
    Planning?

Post a picture off the CAD drawing.
    What will gates weigh?

Have you the piers built?
    Whats the plan for hinges?

Yep, slightly under 2.5. They're part of the initial plans of the property, the previous owner didn't make or install them. I think they ran out of money finishing the house as there's a few things left incomplete. The pillars are built and have the steel plates for hanging the gates already in place but mounting holes still need to be drilled. I've attached a screenshot of my design. I expect it will weigh between 100-115kg total.

Yep, slightly under 2.5. They're part of the initial plans of the property, the previous owner didn't make or install them. I think they ran out of money finishing the house as there's a few things left incomplete. The pillars are built and have the steel plates for hanging the gates already in place but mounting holes still need to be drilled. I've attached a screenshot of my design. I expect it will weigh between 100-115kg total.
    Forgot the image

• Registered Users Posts: 14,905 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

If you manage to get a waterjet cutter to cut them out of stainless sheet you will need to make a frame for the rear as they will be very flexible and will need reinforcement.
    Your sheet material will be 3mm stainless sheeting I assume and then the frame will add a substantial amount to that as well.
    Is there any way you can design in a diagonal from the bottom centre to the top of the outer edge where the hinge will mount?That will help with the frame racking under stress.
    I'd contact Jamestown in Port Laois they have a decent waterjet cutter
    https://jamestownprofiling.com/services/gallery/

Or Look at Graepels in Kinsale they have a technique called picture perf which punches holes into steel sheeting.
    https://www.graepels.com/products/picture-perf/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Looks cool, but your going to need a box steel frame, probably something 60x60 or bigger. As the poster above has said the diagonal bracing is important too. The laser cut panels would then be welded to the front, it will probably provide some of the diagonal bracing.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the advice guys, the weight has always been a concern of mine, and hence was looking at alu, to keep the weight down, obviously the rigidity then drops too so was thinking of 6-10mm thickness but its definitely possible to put a box section frame on one side and certainly would help support the weight. Alu welding is a bit of a pain though. My manufacturing concern was more along the lines of trying to get it done in single pieces. Beds of that size I don't think are easy to come by.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Curly head

Try Pat Rynn Eng. in Galway for water jet cutting

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭mikehn

why not make the gates from box and over lay the decorative giraffes / tree. The over lay could be significantly lighter and be cut from smaller sheets. ??

• Registered Users Posts: 31,001 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

This inlay approach looks simpler, if it were mine I'd paint the frame black to make it disappear.

But then you wouldn't get the canopy element sticking out the top.

aaf35d75c3c2c5f2fad7a9aea1be25d7.jpg

Advertisement