Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Albums turning 10 this year

• 09-01-2019 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭

Merriweather Post Pavilion by Animal Collective was released exactly 10 years ago on Sunday, and made me wonder where the past decade went to.

Granted that 2009 wasn't exactly a watershed year for music, it did mark a musical turning point for me in that I started paying more attention to modern indie and alternative music.

Some other albums turning 10 this year:

The Antlers - Hospice
    The xx - xx
    Fever Ray - s/t
    Wild Beasts - Two Dancers
    Silversun Pickups - Swoon
    The Pains of Being Pure at Heart - s/t
    Tegan and Sara - Sainthood
    Camera Obscura - My Maudlin Career
    St. Vincent - Actor
    Dinosaur Jr. - Farm
    The Horrors - Primary Colours
    Bat for Lashes - Two Suns

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I wouldn't say that 2009 was one of the top years for that decade but there were some great albums released that year.

Embryonic - The Flaming Lips (among their best)
    Post Nothing - Japandroids
    Journal For Plague Lovers - Manic Street Preachers (again, one of their best imo)
    The Eternal - Sonic Youth
    Them Crooked Vultures - Them Crooked Vultures
    Crack The Skye - Mastodon
    And So I Watch You From Afar - And So I Watch You From Afar

• Registered Users Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

God it's sobering to think that Fever Ray s/t is 10 years old. It was a pivotal album for me. I absolutely hated it at first, I really hated anything with synths, but I stuck with it and I adore that album to this day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

2009 may not have been the best year musically but it definitely was a pivotal moment in my music listening journey. Maybe the shift was more down to the ecosystem rather than the music itself.

Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix and It's Blitz are two other big ones for me that I'd still return to today. Passions Pit's Manners less so.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

Rothko wrote: »
    I wouldn't say that 2009 was one of the top years for that decade but there were some great albums released that year.

Embryonic - The Flaming Lips (among their best)
    Post Nothing - Japandroids
    Journal For Plague Lovers - Manic Street Preachers (again, one of their best imo)
    The Eternal - Sonic Youth
    Them Crooked Vultures - Them Crooked Vultures
    Crack The Skye - Mastodon
    And So I Watch You From Afar - And So I Watch You From Afar

I absolutely love that Manic Street Preachers album. Second only to The Holy Bible, for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

Future of the Left released Travels with Myself and Another their second album in 2009.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Have a pair of tickets for the Primary Colours anniversary in Royal Albert Hall in May, love that album.

Was only listening to St. Vincent's 'Actor' earlier, some cracking songs, much prefer that and 'Strange Mercy' to the latter stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,328 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Birneybau wrote: »
    Have a pair of tickets for the Primary Colours anniversary in Royal Albert Hall in May, love that album.

Was only listening to St. Vincent's 'Actor' earlier, some cracking songs, much prefer that and 'Strange Mercy' to the latter stuff.

Absolutely. I think those two albums are fantastic and she's got less and less interesting since. I still she's great, but back then she was unbelievable IMO. Too much of a focus these days on image and playing the character of "St. Vincent".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,220 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Arghus wrote: »
    Absolutely. I think those two albums are fantastic and she's got less and less interesting since. I still she's great, but back then she was unbelievable IMO. Too much of a focus these days on image and playing the character of "St. Vincent".

I'd imagine a song like this would alienate a lot of the newer fans:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Acosta

Birneybau wrote: »

Class. Enjoy. Great album. Skying just pips it at the post for me though as their best album.

Also want to share in the love of Journal For Plague Lovers, the manics last great and second best album. Embryonic from The Flaming Lips was a excellent album that year too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Short Hospice 10 year anniversary acoustic tour announced today.

Sugar Club, Dublin
    Tue, Apr 30, 2019

Tempted by London Union Chapel show a week beforehand.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,800 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Short Hospice 10 year anniversary acoustic tour announced today.

Sugar Club, Dublin
    Tue, Apr 30, 2019

Tempted by London Union Chapel show a week beforehand.

Union Chapel is a sublime venue, go for it.

Advertisement