Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

San Francisco 49ers Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'd like to see the 49ers go after Justin Houston and Earl Thomas. Pick up either or both of those guys and its a good free agency period. There was talk to the trading for Dee Ford. He'd be a good pickup but I'd be happier keeping the draft pick and building through the draft.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Looks like for once supply matches the needs for the team. There’s a crazy amount of safeties on the market, a few good linebackers, and early day 2 there should be a number of good WRs available. For the biggest need at Edge, though the top guys were tagged, there is more depth in FA than normal and the draft is overflowing with round 1 level talent. CB isn’t great but I feel they should go for a solid reasonably priced veteran after investing so much draft capital there.

From the first 2 FA markets, I expect Shanahan and Lynch to fall in love with a few guys and overpay if they must. We’re going to be linked to practically every player, but I’d be happy with a top tier FS and Edge in FA.

• Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭jonok28

Looks like the 49ers landed the ILB they wanted in Kwon Alexander, four-year, $54 million, that Reuben Foster draft pick just became even more costly.

I think the 49ers are going to play the long game with Earl Thomas, the Cowboys really don't want to spend more than $10m a year on Thomas and the 49ers are just fine sitting back and waiting for the market to drop on him.

I'd love to see the 49ers add Pierre Desir and Ziggy Ansah, both veterans, both good locker room guys and both flying under the radar at the moment in free agency.

jonok28 wrote: »
    Looks like the 49ers landed the ILB they wanted in Kwon Alexander, four-year, $54 million, that Reuben Foster draft pick just became even more costly.

I think the 49ers are going to play the long game with Earl Thomas, the Cowboys really don't want to spend more than $10m a year on Thomas and the 49ers are just fine sitting back and waiting for the market to drop on him.

I'd love to see the 49ers add Pierre Desir and Ziggy Ansah, both veterans, both good locker room guys and both flying under the radar at the moment in free agency.

Those 3 would make delighted with the FA, presuming the latter two are at a reasonable cost.

Feel a lot better about the Alexander deal now seeing what Barr and Mosley got paid. Coming off an ACL he is a risk but he looks to have the skillset we need and seems to be the exact type of leader/character they’ve said they want to pay for.

Speaking of Foster, despite having already been in the league 4 years Alexander is actually younger than Foster so has plenty of room to grow and develop further.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I think they overpaid for Alexander. He may work out but even in a best case scenario he will only just about be worth it. I know they have a lot of cap space but they should still be making smart decisions. In my opinion they have overpaid for a few players in the last few years, including Alexander, McKinnon, Juzcek (or however that is spelled), Tagging gould, not to mention a few of the other veterans they've brought in that haven't been particularly good but have got very good contracts.

In terms of Ansah and Desir, I know little enough about Desir, but I'd be against bringing in Ansah. I just don't think he's good and someone is going to give him more money than he is worth, I just hope its not us. With Houston being available and Ford apparently available via trade I think there are better options out there.

I'd like to see them make a run at someone like Roby or Verett at CB. Though Houston and Thomas would still be my top 2 targets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭myate

Niners are sorted now - Snapper news: the 49ers have signed LS Kyle Nelson to a four-year extension through 2022, per source. He still has six games left on a 10-game suspension handed out last December.

adrian522 wrote: »
    I think they overpaid for Alexander. He may work out but even in a best case scenario he will only just about be worth it. I know they have a lot of cap space but they should still be making smart decisions. In my opinion they have overpaid for a few players in the last few years, including Alexander, McKinnon, Juzcek (or however that is spelled), Tagging gould, not to mention a few of the other veterans they've brought in that haven't been particularly good but have got very good contracts.

In terms of Ansah and Desir, I know little enough about Desir, but I'd be against bringing in Ansah. I just don't think he's good and someone is going to give him more money than he is worth, I just hope its not us. With Houston being available and Ford apparently available via trade I think there are better options out there.

I'd like to see them make a run at someone like Roby or Verett at CB. Though Houston and Thomas would still be my top 2 targets.

Few aren’t overpaying during free agency though. For both Alexander and McKinnon there were other teams in the race for them and I’d rather they slightly overpaying for guys they really want and them then to be held to account for it than going with a 2nd or 3rd choice to possibly save a million here or there while having $60m in cap space.

There were guys brought in on questionable contracts 2 years ago who haven’t panned out but at that point we were a complete basket case that no one wanted to join. The locker room seems to be fantastic so they might have paid some of their money back off the field.

I’m out on Ansah if it isn’t a team friendly ‘prove it’ type deal. Having Mayhew and Kocurek on staff could be tempting for Ansah and they’ll both know what we’d be getting. With being able to get at worst our #2 Edge in the draft I wouldn’t be keen on giving away much draft capital for Ford but Houston would be good, at the right price.

As for those CBs, I don’t think either really fit what the normal prototype for what the team is looking for but would be good gets, again at the right price. With the amount of injury prone players we have and are taking on, I would be a bit concerned adding Verrett to the bunch.

Unsurprisingly now that the details have come out the Alexander deal isn't anywhere near as bad as it first seemed

https://twitter.com/spotrac/status/1105585046554054656

Really hope that we have Thomas sorted out at this point and he just wants to check out the facility etc and sign in person. The once stocked safety market is starting to look pretty bare now. The one good thing is that most of the teams with an obvious need have taken a guy at this point but you always have to fear the other teams with big cap space, especially with the CA taxes always being an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭myate

Dee Ford! Looking more like Bosa in the draft now provided Arizona take Murray at 1 which it's all pointing too.
    The team seems to structure contracts pretty well. No reason why Alexander doesn't come back strong. Bowman came back ok from his knee annihilation a few years ago...wasn't the same but more because of age I think.
    On paper the D should be formidable...Defo, Thomas, Armstead, Bosa (maybe) all first rounders. If the others can step up like Defo, along with the new guys, D could be a force again. Get a strong safety & corner now.

Delighted with that trade. Hopefully that's the 64th pick of the 2020 draft :)

Anyway, this really opens up the possibilities for the draft this year. They still should draft a pass rusher early but the pressure to do so diminishes a little. Ford is a good player but he needs someone rushing on the other side.

The 49rs can stay put and draft Bosa or Allen. They could trade back and draft another pass rusher later in the first. They could trade back and take the best CB on the board at that point and get additional picks in the process.

They could elect to wait until day 2 to get a pass rusher. I really like this move but they really need to address the secondary either through the draft or here in free agency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 504 ✭✭✭jonok28

Delighted with that trade. Hopefully that's the 64th pick of the 2020 draft :)

Anyway, this really opens up the possibilities for the draft this year. They still should draft a pass rusher early but the pressure to do so diminishes a little. Ford is a good player but he needs someone rushing on the other side.

The 49rs can stay put and draft Bosa or Allen. They could trade back and draft another pass rusher later in the first. They could trade back and take the best CB on the board at that point and get additional picks in the process.

They could elect to wait until day 2 to get a pass rusher. I really like this move but they really need to address the secondary either through the draft or here in free agency.

The 49ers have two really good options to play for Draft day. They can stay at 2 and hopefully Draft Bosa, or they could try and drum up a market and get the Giants to hand over their two first rounders and future picks for Haskins.

6 and 17 and future picks for 2 would be a really good deal, the 49ers could still land a top Edge prospect or they could even land Quinnen Williams and get a decent edge prospect at 17. With Dee Ford it takes a little bit of pressure off of definitely signing Bosa. If I'm the 49ers I draft Quinnen Williams at 6, Greedy Williams CB at 17 and take Jachai Polite at the top of the second round, Polite had one of the worst combines in memory but was considered a consensus Top 15 pick before hand.

The 49ers Defense would be nasty with Line Backers in Dee Ford, Fred Warner and Kwon Alexander.

A Secondary of Jaquiski Tartt, Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas ( Potentially) and Greedy Williams.

And a D line of DeForrest Buckner, Quinnen Williams, Arik Armstead and Solomon Thomas or Jachai Polite. Scary defense.

Surprised by the Coleman signing but the more I think about it the more I like it. Shanahan lamented at how he had to change his whole game plan for the season when Jet went down and this should hopefully stop that from being a risk of reoccurring. Will also allow Jet to be eased back into things and provide depth if Breida keeps picking up knocks. They could cut one but I think they find a way to keep them all (presuming none go down before the season).

I'm not too bothered by Ward re-signing. He's an injury liability but every coach we've had has raved about him and he isn't costing too much.

Good call Adrian on Varrett, he's currently visiting and hopefully we can get a prove it deal sorted with him. He apparently grew up in Northern California as a 9ers fan so hopefully that helps gets things across the line. If we sign enough guys coming off injuries, one of them has to stay healthy!!

Verett signed anyway. 1 year, $3.6m.

Hopefully it works out but no harm if not. I still say they need another CB and a FS.

Verett signed anyway. 1 year, $3.6m.

Hopefully it works out but no harm if not. I still say they need another CB and a FS.

You got all your asks, now you're just getting greedy!

Looks like we'll have Coleman, Jet, Breida, and Mostert for less than Bell this year. Think we keep all 4 and one less TE. Could also mean only 2 QBs if Jimmy is looking ok

Surprisingly comfortable on the eve of the draft. When we missed out on #1 pick, I was sure I’d be stressing at this point about potentially missing out on Bosa, but I’m now happy with a number of routes - him, Williams, or trading back for a good deal. I feel we’ll likely have our choice of any of the above with Murray going to Arizona, as I think they would have ended their car wreck rumours/pathetic smokescreens if he wasn’t. He is however the player I least want to go to them, as without him I see Kingsbury being a complete failure and the thought of playing a Wilson like skill set at least 4 times a year is not good for the heart.

I won’t enjoy cheering for Bosa but he is the top choice - the best Edge and given that this is still a need it will allow us to go with one of our other needs at the top of the 2nd, where there should be a lot of talent in those positions. The Ford signing opened the option to take Williams and having watched a lot more of him I don’t mind adding another 1st round DT, he’d be outstanding beside Buckner. I was previously high on Allen, but his comparative performance at the combine knocked him down a few notches for me. If we trade down I’d happily take him though.

My preference would be

1. Trade down (prefebarly staying in the top 10 but even moving down to middle of the first round would be ok if the price is right).
    2. Draft Bosa at 2.
    3. Draft Q Williams

Though I'd much prefer option 1 or 2 over option 3.

My preference would be

1. Trade down (prefebarly staying in the top 10 but even moving down to middle of the first round would be ok if the price is right).
    2. Draft Bosa at 2.
    3. Draft Q Williams

Though I'd much prefer option 1 or 2 over option 3.

I feel most years teams would love to trade down for a heap of picks but it can be hard to get a trade partner. Could see potential in the Raiders to either go for Murray if he falls or Bosa (to stick it to everyone complaining about Mack). Other obvious option would be the Giants and I've no idea what Gettleman will do (serious amount of smoke coming out of NY in different directions). Funny that both are teams that somewhat screwed us over on trades recently.

Struggling to see who else could move up. I'm struggling to see Elway having the balls to take another QB where they are, let alone trading extra picks to move up. Bengals could have potential, but given how little they spend on FA I'm not sure they'll be willing to give up a lot of picks and also passing on a top guy this year for future picks.

Delighted to have Bosa now, especially as I don’t have to feel bad about that win against the Seahawks. I know guys can be scripted in these situations, but he came across pretty well in his interviews last night. Will give him the benefit of the doubt, ending up in San Francisco could do wonders for him as a player and a person.

Interested to see how long it’ll take him to sign his contract. Given how long he has been away from playing, it would be great to get him in ASAP. Most likely though he'll take follow the usual Bosa hold-out routine.

DL should terrorize QBs next year. There is so much talent left on the board at the top of the 2nd in areas of need (WR/CB/FS/OL). Given the quantity of quality left I could be tempted to trade down if we get a decent offer and potentially then try to trade back up into the 2nd.

Pick in round 1 & 2 were very much expected and I'm delighted with how it turned out. Given how the run on WRs didn't come to pass until much later in the 2nd it would have been nice to trade back before taking Deebo, but around 36 is where he was valued on most boards so can't argue with not gambling on moving back and hoping no one takes him.

I'll admit to not knowing much about Hurd but it looks like he can play WR & RB to a high level and has the size to play at TE. He's raw and has shown great development in his 1 year as a WR. Was another guy that they got to work with at the Senior Bowl, so getting that role looks to have already paid off. Again, probably could have traded back and taken him, but I'm glad we've made the small step to avoid wasting picks to jump up to overpay.

Really excited for how the offense is going to look next year. Shaping up to be a even bigger mind f*ck for defenses to play against, where a number of guys can shift to other positions depending on what the defense is showing and play these positions to a high level

Also, big news from the division with their draft picks. Don't like seeing guys lose their careers to injury, but Baldwin and Gurley have huge question marks now

• Advertisement

Pretty poor draft from where I'm standing. Delighted with Bosa.

I'd have preferred a pick in the secondary in the second round but if you need to go WR, surely AJ brown is a better bet?

The 3rd round pick.would have been available 1 or 2 rounds later. And seriously a punter in the 4th?

On top of franchise tagging a kicker and giving an injury prone LB a huge deal, I'm starting to think the 49ers FO dont really know what they are doing.

They haven't addressed the secondary at all. I guess they are hoping that the pass rush will cover any flaws but look at KC last year, great pass rush but still one of the worst defenses in the league.

I have all the faith in the world in Shanahan but I'm losing faith in Lynch at this point.

I'm still pretty happy with that draft. I'd have preferred an earlier pick on the secondary, but since the Lynch/Shanahan came in they've brought in a lot of DBs in both draft and FA and I'm ok seeing how they do for another year, especially with the likely improved pressure and less disruption with injuries. Slot corner is good and outside we have Sherman on one side and if Varrett can stay injury free then he'll be the best CB on the team. We spent 3rd round picks on Witherspoon and Moore and bringing in another guy would damage any progression from them. FS is more scary though, but we'll see if the faith in Ward and Colbert is justified.

The continued issue I have with the team is they fall in love with guys and overpay, whether in draft capital or contracts, rather than looking for value. Their lack of picks this year thankfully tied their hands from moving up too much, but there was still clear signs that they reached to ensure they got 'their guy' rather than playing the board. I'm happy with the Deebo pick, as I feel he is perfect for the scheme and it was right around where he was expected to go, but picks in rounds 3 and 4 were clearly taken ahead of where they needed to be. At least with the punter we got a few extra picks by initially trading back. They could have however done that in round 3 and traded back again in round 4 and still gotten their guy and further capital.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Big mac and fries

I'd have preferred a pick in the secondary in the second round but if you need to go WR, surely AJ brown is a better bet?

The 3rd round pick.would have been available 1 or 2 rounds later. And seriously a punter in the 4th?

On top of franchise tagging a kicker and giving an injury prone LB a huge deal, I'm starting to think the 49ers FO dont really know what they are doing.

They haven't addressed the secondary at all. I guess they are hoping that the pass rush will cover any flaws but look at KC last year, great pass rush but still one of the worst defenses in the league.

I have all the faith in the world in Shanahan but I'm losing faith in Lynch at this point.

Apologies if this is a dumb question, but does the Coach not tell the GM who he wants them to draft?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Apologies if this is a dumb question, but does the Coach not tell the GM who he wants them to draft?
    The coach would probably have some input, and certainly you don't want players who wouldn't fit his system or philosophy, but drafting is ultimately the job of the GM in consultation with his scouts. The coach's job is to make it work with who he's given.

Depends on the team how much control the coach has. For the 49ers, Shanahan has huge control and actually decides on the final roster. It is a bit murky on who makes final decisions for the draft, but general thinking is that Shanahan makes the offensive picks, while Lynch does more of the defense (with Peters leading the scouting and helping both). Hard to know what happens with disagreements, but I’d believe Shanahan gets his way, which is why I feel he chose the 49ers over other teams.

Despite Shanahan having so much power, Lynch needs to do better work guiding him. I think a more experienced GM could do that better, pushing back on Shanahan falling in love with players and reaching. Shanahan is such a good coach that his positives far outweigh this problem, whereas I’m not sure what value Lynch is actually adding, especially as the defensive picks have been more misses thus far.

Only Bad things happen in the preseason.....

https://twitter.com/ChrisBiderman/status/1159206150610440192

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Dymo

And here we are again.... Another season

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Big mac and fries

Ian Rapoport

Verified account

@RapSheet
    6h6 hours ago
    More
    #49ers first-round pick DE Nick Bosa was diagnosed with just an ankle sprain, I’m told. He had an MRI after practice. Expect the team to be cautious with their top pick, meaning you may not see him in the preseason.

Big relief that both injuries are minor and that it looks like they'll be ok for Week 1.

Bosa has killed it so far during camp against the starters, so no need for him to play any preseason at all. Put him in bubble wrap for the Bucs.

Taking into account that reports from camp don't necessarily transfer to the regular season but it sounds like both sides of the ball are performing well so far.

• Advertisement

Jinxed that a bit.

- Bosa has high ankle sprain so out for preseseason and those can be a pain to clear,
    - Verrett's isn't minor and mightn't be ready for Week 1,
    - Williams got he knee scoped and may miss week 1,
    - McKinnon has knee pain after coming back, may need to go on IR

That doesn't include the likes of Ford, Armstead, Blair who are day to day.

Really starting back where we left off... :(

Advertisement