Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

'Farming'.

Options
  • 05-03-2019 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PTtd_NS9-Q4

I wonder, how long does the sow in the farrowing crate at the end of the clip gnaw on that metal bar, daily?
    Being quite an intelligent animal, it (she) must realise that the piglet's death throes are unnatural...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

Wait for the “mmmm bacon” and the indignant “but trespassing” trolls, they’ll be along shortly, auspicious.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

If you want to discuss the post and animal welfare at hand then please do so, don't bring down the level of discussion by talking about other posters, thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

As a farmer I don't watch videos like that (whatever it is) or even open links,I just pass them onto cruelty officers for their attention
    I like a lot of vegan food but I also like meat and came across this thread from the front page

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

I stopped after the pig farm, what exactly am i supposed to be concerned about? I braced myself for something shocking and just saw some pigs in pens. Didn't have sound on so maybe i'm missing something.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

auspicious wrote: »

I wonder, how long does the sow in the farrowing crate at the end of the clip gnaw on that metal bar, daily?
    Being quite an intelligent animal, it (she) must realise that the piglet's death throes are unnatural...

Sound didn't add anything.

As i said in another thread, Earthling Ed is either an idiot or willing to say anything to further his cause due to his promotion of veg as a cure for cancer.

But in this case was he too big of an idiot to highlight the suffering of the piglet to the farmer so a vet could be called or happy to exploit its suffering to push his agenda?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Wait for the “mmmm bacon” and the indignant “but trespassing” trolls, they’ll be along shortly, auspicious.

Is that the best you can offer david by way of discussion? There's trolling alright but as far as I can see here not in the way you detail.

Are others not allowed to comment on these videos? Or does freedom of expression only work for select groups?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PTtd_NS9-Q4I wonder, how long does the sow in the farrowing crate at the end of the clip gnaw on that metal bar, daily?

Dont think that is a farrowing crate tbh. The side footage of the pig in that video appears to be a temporary holding crate used when a pig is being treated by a farmer etc and not a sow in a farrowing crate - although its hard to see from the angle of the video footage tbh.

I took a look at the selected video footage and tbh the pigs look healthy and are not stressed etc even with the presence of so many strangers. As to the piglet- it is sleeping imo and is confirmed by a second piglet in the footage also apparently sleeping (and twitching) behind the first one. When piglets sleep they completely flake out. The movements imo are not 'death throws' (sic)

The other point is that the farrowing crates are normally used for I believe a period of six weeks and are used to protect the piglets from being rolled on and potentially killed by the sow.

There are raft of welfare regulations relating to pigs in the UK and Europe

For example see:
    http://www.pig-world.co.uk/news/highlighting-the-differences-how-uk-welfare-standards-compare-with-our-competitors.html

It should be noted that some farmers use other systems to farrowing crates

Note: Interesting footage in that video of the police moving said activists. So yes indeed there would appear to be some issues relating to trespassing when 40 or so strangers and invade a working farm.

Question for David. How would you feel if a large group invaded your farm and proceeded to walk over your vegetable beds etc, take video footage and investigate whether anything interesting or illegal might be going on?

If you want to discuss the post and animal welfare at hand then please do so, don't bring down the level of discussion by talking about other posters, thanks!

Sorry TA. You know where I’m coming from. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Hard to tell if its dying, or asleep & dreaming.
    If she could reach that piglet, she'd probably eat it herself.
    Some sows are cannabalistic, and as well as preventing them accidently lying on a piglet ( crates have a design to make a sow have to give a wriggle before flopping down) the crate stops her snapping at piglets who wander near her mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Farrowing crates are the most disgusting things I’ve ever seen.

‘Animals run no risk of going to hell, they are there already’

Victor Hugo.

• Advertisement

Tilikum17 wrote: »
    Farrowing crates are the most disgusting things I’ve ever seen.

‘Animals run no risk of going to hell, they are there already’Victor Hugo.

The same could be said of the many humans tbh.

So Tilikum would you prefer that piglets in indoor systems are squashed by the sow? Personally I prefer more free range systems but tbh the use of farrowing crates are allowed for a limited period to safeguard piglets. Their use is covered by EU legislation and standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,959 ✭✭✭emaherx

jh79 wrote: »
    Sound didn't add anything.

As i said in another thread, Earthling Ed is either an idiot or willing to say anything to further his cause due to his promotion of veg as a cure for cancer.

But in this case was he too big of an idiot to highlight the suffering of the piglet to the farmer so a vet could be called or happy to exploit its suffering to push his agenda?

It's funny how in the footage I saw earlier this week the farmer had claimed at least 2 piglets had died as a direct result of the invasion of this group, they won't show that in their footage but will stand there and video what they claim to be dying piglets.

https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news/farmer-claims-animal-rights-activists-2602987

emaherx wrote: »
    It's funny how in the footage I saw earlier this week the farmer had claimed at least 2 piglets had died as a direct result of the invasion of this group, they won't show that in their footage but will stand there and video what they claim to be dying piglets.

https://www.lincolnshirelive.co.uk/news/farmer-claims-animal-rights-activists-2602987

While doing nothing to ease its suffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Good animal welfare should always look at the whole picture
    is sticking needles into piglets good animal welfare? no
    is injecting piglets with iron good animal welfare? yes
    while doing it they scream and wriggle and it's safe to say it looks a bit like torture from but for the overall welfare of the animal it is a good thing.

now to address the activities of the activists, (oh alliteration) their presence prevented the farmer from going about their daily routine, delayed feeding, missed checks the small things that you might do while walking through the yard. Oh but they were peaceful!? 200 vegan activists doesn't sound peaceful to a livestock farmer.

all in all the activists got what they wanted, and the farmer will probably put up a better fence

While doing nothing to ease its suffering.

^^ This. A lot of footage which is posted online and especially on YouTube rants about the alleged 'horrible' condition of animals in the food industry as if it mattered to them. As far as I can see - it doesn’t matter to them, because whilst many of these these individuals clearly state they are opposed to all rearing and eating of animals, they do nothing to improve the actual conditions which they allege are prevalent.

So the end result is that many of these groups effectively use such footage for monetization but do nothing for the actual animals they portray as 'suffering'.

I find this whole campaign of 'action' to be utterly hypocritical tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

What's the answer though? Setting all farmed animals free (do pets fall into that category as well?) Or should they all be euthanized?

It's a pity Ed wasn't arrested and charged with trespassing among other things, or is that not important here?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

We buy our weaned piglets from a small scale operator who sells on DD. I think he has maybe 20 sows, they don’t use farrowing crates.

The walls of the pens are lined with tyres which he says gives piglets room not to be squashed under the sow when she moves. Once they are fit they are all turned out anyway. He does loose an odd one to the sow but not many.

So there is a middle ground between the conditions shown and the “turn all the animals free and let’s eat a salad” mantra.

Many of the issues highlighted in such videos are related to very intensive farming practice. As a farmer it’s not something that appeals to me at all, I much rather see free range style lower densitity farms. Yes the produce is more expensive but that’s ok, it better reflects the intrinsic value of the produce.

Meat shouldn’t be cheap, that’s a race to the bottom for both farmers and animal welfare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I'm fully in agreement with Brian on this one. I detest intensive style farms but it appears to be the way we are heading to feed the masses cheap meat & veg. But just like vegans don't like being tarred with the same loony brush as Earthling Ed & the Youtube ilk, why do you do the exact same to farmers.
    We're not all money chasing dunderheads in landrovers chopping down trees & kicking lambs.
    You can pick & choose what videos to force your agenda, is this why vegans don't show the good ones? Because it *might* show people that maybe farming can be done in a respectful manner.

If you're going to try & change the world, it would make more sense to promote the best way to do something, which in turn would make meat more expensive as less would be produced. Natural cessation of meat eating would then occur is vegetables were much cheaper.
    Be far easier than this 'DON'T EAT MEAT, CRUEL FARMERS, LOOK AT THEM' business.

I think at the end of the day the problem is that the vegan movement won’t accept even the highest standards of animal farming.

Saying they are highlighting these pig farms because farrowing crates are being used is disingenuous. If they had turned up and the sows were in stalls with the piglets there would have been a commotion about that too. Same if they were 100% free range.

I beleive that farmers need to be held to the highest standards, I don’t agree with all the current standards particularly those facilitating industrial farming.
    200 strangers tramping onto a farm where bio security is important and making a general nuisance of themselves with the farmer isn’t the way to go. Using their influence to have better welfare standards implemented would have much more positive effects on animals lives.

However, the crux of the issue is that the vegan movement have no interest in better farming practice, there is no tolerance for another way of life other than theirs. The lack of tolerance manifests often in hate campaigns, mis information, abuse both verbal and physical, obstruction of premises, damage to property.

There were more than 3000 reported cases of shocking animal cruelty in Ireland, the vast vast majority in pets and non farmed animals. Yet I don’t see vegan protests against pet ownership, I don’t see vegan groups out harassing pet owners in the street or at their homes, I don’t see them at race courses.

So it seems the intolerance is directed to farming families, remember most farms are homes, invading a farm is invading the home property of a family and desperate stress and anxiety is caused.

It is difficult to see veganism as anything other than a vehicle for intolerance for the views of others.

The RSPCA insists that it is not motivated by the fees it receives for certifying salmon farms. These, it says, “are ploughed back into the scheme’s running costs.” I’m sure this is true. The problem, I feel, runs much deeper: to my eyes, its mission seems to have slipped from preventing cruelty to modifying industrial animal farming. If its objective is to prevent cruelty, surely it should instead endorse the rapid shift towards veganism?

Source

• Advertisement

You realise that dumping in text and a link isn’t a discussion ?

You can pick & choose what videos to force your agenda, is this why vegans don't show the good ones? Because it *might* show people that maybe farming can be done in a respectful manner.

With respect, LH, you can't expect vegans to promote any kind of farming. :)
    If you're going to try & change the world, it would make more sense to promote the best way to do something

100%.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I dunno, I promote the vegetable kind :D

I dunno, I promote the vegetable kind :D

Haha! Well spotted. Animal farming of course.

There again, my mother used to abuse vegetables. ;)

With respect, LH, you can't expect vegans to promote any kind of farming. :)

100%.

Tolerance is all that is asked for, humans have as many viewpoints as there are humans, tolerance and acceptance of the opinion and beliefs of another isn’t that much to ask though.

Good farmers 100% beleive what they are doing is right, moral and justified. It’s done within the relaxant animal welfare laws if the state. I can 100% understand going after those who flout animal welfare laws, I’ve no time for these people either and have reported “farmers” where I came across instances I thought were out of control.

I’ve stated before, the vegan lifestyle isn’t without it’s intentional indiscriminate killing of sentient creatures. But I understand that it’s part of farming crops to do these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I know nothing about pig farming, but those animals in the video appear to be well looked after and clean. I reckon those trespassing sc**bags know even less about pig farms than I do

I'm not anti-vegan btw. I try not to eat much meat and for a long time I actually cut out dairy. I generally like vegetarian or vegan dishes as the people making them put more effort into making them taste nice (if you are in a proper place)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

How many vegans actually try and grow their own vegetables?
    That would cut down a huge amount of packaging, travelling and food waste.

All these new vegan places opening around the place and most of them are serving cheap fast food, vegan style. With veg and fruit sourced from who knows where

Even all the new 'Vegan' stuff in supermarkets. Who is checking to ensure it is actually vegan?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,025 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    That would cut down a huge amount of packaging, travelling and food waste.

Well what you are saying is true. But I would imagine it is possible, and not necessarily inconsistent, to be a vegan for either personal health choices or principled reasons due to not wanting animal products and not care about packaging or transport etc.

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    That would cut down a huge amount of packaging, travelling and food waste

To be fair, the question should be asked of everybody, substituting ‘vegan’ with ‘people’ and ‘vegetables’ with ‘food’.

In my experience (having encountered hundreds of them personally), vegans tend towards being more aware of the impact of their food choices.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Well what you are saying is true. But I would imagine it is possible, and not necessarily inconsistent, to be a vegan for either personal health choices or principled reasons due to not wanting animal products and not care about packaging or transport etc.

Yes, i agree with that.
    However, you'd have to question the recent explosion of vegan eateries and options around Dublin as to the providence of much of the food and ingredients.

There is no way there isn't cross contamination in many kitchens in terms of ingredients, utensils used and food storage.

Advertisement