Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Johnny Manziel in Rehab

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,083 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

He'll have a fair bit of his own cash to burn through for a while from his time in Cleveland too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

Trojan wrote: »

Just wait until Jerrah jones falls in love and decides to itch the scratch he never got to when the cowboys drafted Zach Martin instead... i mean it was a plain awful decision from the folks at The Star in Frisco not to take old Johnny....

I was waiting for this. One more delicious failure ahead of us.

• Unless, of course, he's not a failure. I wouldn't expect him to turn it around spectacularly and become the superstar he might have been, maybe not even starting QB, but surely it's not completely out of the question that he could end up at some NFL outfit, maybe as back up?

• Advertisement

Unless, of course, he's not a failure. I wouldn't expect him to turn it around spectacularly and become the superstar he might have been, maybe not even starting QB, but surely it's not completely out of the question that he could end up at some NFL outfit, maybe as back up?

He's now over two years out of a team facility. Has he been working out? Photos of him in 2016 demonstrated a significant weight / size loss. He has a huge amount to prove for a team to be confident enough in paying for him to be a backup. And him as a backup comes with a certain amount of media circus that most franchises want no part of.

He has to prove he's clean; that his mind is right; that he's in shape; that he can fit into an organisation as a contributor - and he'll have to prove all of this on a very short lease. I'm unsure if he even gets an opportunity in camp, but I'd be shocked if he makes an active 2018 regular season roster.

Nevermind starting in the NFL again.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,630 ✭✭✭nerd69

Not to mention no team wants that media headache as a backup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

His (and probably RGIII's) best bets are surely through the CFL - everyone knows each has the talent, but they need to prove not only that they have figured out how to put that talent together (because even Jamarcus Russell was very talented... means feck all if you can't convert it to the pros) but that they can be a reliable pro on and off the field for a full year if not more.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Billy86 wrote: »
    His (and probably RGIII's) best bets are surely through the CFL - everyone knows each has the talent, but they need to prove

RGIII is surely not in Manziel's league when it comes to being thought of as completely unreliable, is he?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

No not at all, but they're both just kind of washed up while in their 20s... RGIII might be able to land an emergency spot somewhere, Manziel has a hell of a lot more to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,630 ✭✭✭nerd69

Rg3 and manziel to xfl

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Blut2

nerd69 wrote: »
    Rg3 and manziel to xfl

The new XFL seems like it'd be a perfect fit for Manziel, if its at all similar to the old XFL. All about theatre, media attention and PR, less so about actual performance. He'd thrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,165 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Paully D wrote: »

It's absurd he has more of a chance of returning than Kaep. You can snort lines, beat your girl, get suspended for substance abuse and not show up for work as long as you don't take a knee it seems. That'll get you permanently blackballed.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,416 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Well just watching him on last nights total access he looks like he can still throw a ball alright. He also seemed to talk a good game and sounded like his head is screwed on the right way. I mean everyone deserves a second chance, and the Americans love a good redemption story , but as Oat23 pointed out and victor cruz did on TA if manziel gets a second chance then Kapernick deserves a second chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,416 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Also what is the rap on RGIII with NFL teams as it stands ? I mean his injury is surely fully healed and he certainly wasn't a bad QB. He could certainly be a back up somewhere.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Also what is the rap on RGIII with NFL teams as it stands ? I mean his injury is surely fully healed and he certainly wasn't a bad QB. He could certainly be a back up somewhere.

He came, he made $28m in salary from NFL teams and probably millions more in endorsements, he left. Does he even want to play again? He has two children, a wife, and seemingly a few quid to hand:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-5495367/Robert-Griffin-III-marries-Grete-adeiko-24-Miami.html

There will be more and more Jake Lockers imo:

http://uk.businessinsider.com/jake-locker-home-after-retiring-2015-3

However, on the point of the thread, I'm going to enjoy Manziel failing one more time for my amusement.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    He came, he made $28m in salary from NFL teams and probably millions more in endorsements, he left. Does he even want to play again? He has two children, a wife, and seemingly a few quid to hand:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-5495367/Robert-Griffin-III-marries-Grete-adeiko-24-Miami.html

There will be more and more Jake Lockers imo:

http://uk.businessinsider.com/jake-locker-home-after-retiring-2015-3

However, on the point of the thread, I'm going to enjoy Manziel failing one more time for my amusement.

any word on Trent Richardson these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭TOss Sweep

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

His amazing stats

Rushes 48
    Yards 259
    Touchdowns 2
    Average 5.40

Avg of 5.4 dude is killing it in an all pass league :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Well just watching him on last nights total access he looks like he can still throw a ball alright. He also seemed to talk a good game and sounded like his head is screwed on the right way. I mean everyone deserves a second chance, and the Americans love a good redemption story , but as Oat23 pointed out and victor cruz did on TA if manziel gets a second chance then Kapernick deserves a second chance.
    It may be cheap to sign him and cut him quick if necessary but the baggage he would bring upon signing will be too much of headache to most NFL GMs who may have a fit for him as back-up QB in their systems. He has always talked well, he does seem to have some degree of intelligence, he does have some talent but all evidence shows from college and the Browns that he is a tool, will never change and is manipulative. Aside from all character issues he was never a 1st round caliber draft pick and even if he did have his head screwed-on I was never convinced he had to complete skillset to cut-it as a franchise QB in the NFL.

It would be a total joke if Manziel gets a second chance and Kaep is rotting away who has at least proven himself to be a mid-level starting QB/played in a SB

Manziel signing a two year deal with Hamilton of the Canadian league. Go Cats! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,285 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Released by Montreal, and seemingly told by the CFL to sling his 'ook.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/feb/27/johnny-manziel-released-by-montreal-alouettes-cfl

• Registered Users Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Released by Montreal, and seemingly told by the CFL to sling his 'ook.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/feb/27/johnny-manziel-released-by-montreal-alouettes-cfl

It's so vague and ominous sounding, it's like they are just dying for people to start speculating about what it could be.

Manziel seems to be very professional in his departing statement whereas neither the team nor the league are very professional in theirs. If you're not going to say why he's being kicked out, why bother with all the insinuations, and just say "we've decided mutually to go in separate directions"?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Blut2

Its all well and good Manziel seeming to be very professional in his departing statement, thats easy to do. Given hes been barred from the league, and given his priors, I'd wager hes the one at fault here. I would not be betting my money against one of him having been caught doing stupid **** while out partying / driving drunk / testing positive for a party drug.

Blut2 wrote: »
    Given hes been barred from the league, and given his priors, I'd wager hes the one at fault here.

I don't think there's much doubt who is at fault in this situation. Just read back this thread if unclear :D

What's astonishing is that he still potentially has options to pay professional football, given the two other leagues starting up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Blut2 wrote: »
    Its all well and good Manziel seeming to be very professional in his departing statement, thats easy to do. Given hes been barred from the league, and given his priors, I'd wager hes the one at fault here. I would not be betting my money against one of him having been caught doing stupid **** while out partying / driving drunk / testing positive for a party drug.
    Of course he did something stupid, it's Johnny manziel. I'm just wondering why the cfl folks couldn't just release him and say nothing, or say why they are releasing him. It's this schoolgirl "I know a secret and I'm not telling you" ****e that reminds us that the cfl is bush league.

https://twitter.com/theaaf/status/1109560322040295424?s=21

Signed with the Alliance. Will he make the field? Is there anything left?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,484 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

LuckyLloyd wrote:
    Signed with the Alliance. Will he make the field? Is there anything left?
    It'll draw more people to watch, he is still a big enough name. People will watch to see if he can still make it. It'll create more headlines for the brand no matter what way it goes.

• Advertisement

The gift that keeps on giving! Manziel 2020.

Advertisement