Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

getting calcium from a vegan diet

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭jh79

Crikey, not sure. He gives 147 references in relation to the calcium chapter alone but they're not linked to specific sentences. They're largely Lancet, American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Journal of Bone and Mineral Research, Hypertension, and publications like that.

It's not easy to sift through it. If you know about such things (biology and chemistry) then you'd probably enjoy chatting to him - he says his background is in "process systems analysis, using mathematical models to predict how biological or chemical processes will respond to changes and the actions required to achieve a desired result".

I attribute my and my partner's very good health in part to the very comprehensive information in this single publication.

I'll post a couple of snaps of the reference pages (I don't think he'll mind about copyright issues for that). Blimey, that's eight photos. The guy is thorough.

Thanks for the references. Is the book old?

The link that Worztron provided says the following;

Back in the 1990s, research suggested that animal protein pulled calcium out of bones, raising requirements for those who ate lots of meat, milk and eggs. At one time, we thought that this explained the lower rates of hip fractures in countries with lower animal protein intakes.

While some vegan nutrition websites and books still promote this idea, it hasn’t held up to scientific scrutiny very well. More recent evidence suggests that protein is not harmful for bone health and that it may even be beneficial (2-5). And while getting calcium from plant foods may have a number of advantages for bone health (see below), there is no reason to think that vegans need less calcium than anyone else.

https://www.theveganrd.com/vegan-nutrition-101/vegan-nutrition-primers/calcium-a-vegan-nutrition-primer/[url][/url]

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭davidjtaylor

I don't recall I implied (or quoted) "that vegans need less calcium than anyone else" and it doesn't make much sense (to me) as a statement.

I've asked The Vegan Society for their current take on the protein/calcium balance and bone health.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

seefin wrote: »
    I have to go with what you consultant told me which is to get minimum 1200mg a day. Even if that's not true at least I can't blame myself in years to come and can blame her.

Why would your consultant tell you to get the amount recommended to a 60 year old in the US, which is above even the highest EU recommendation? 1200 is recommended for pregnant women and teens atm in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭jh79

I don't recall I implied (or quoted) "that vegans need less calcium than anyone else" and it doesn't make much sense (to me) as a statement.

I've asked The Vegan Society for their current take on the protein/calcium balance and bone health.

Your post said cheese was a particualrly bad culprit, and animal protein in general, for removing calcium from bones. Worztron link says that this is no longer considered to be the case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Why would your consultant tell you to get the amount recommended to a 60 year old in the US, which is above even the highest EU recommendation? 1200 is recommended for pregnant women and teens atm in Ireland.

I guess because I already have osteoporosis and am in my early 40s so need more than normal person?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Ah I see, didn't see that you were OP!

Advertisement