Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Upgrading RAM

• 05-01-2019 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

i I’m trying to choose a laptop for music production - one that can run Protools efficiently. Unfortunately I’m on a budget. It is recommended that a PC with 16 GB RAM is purchased but these are so expensive when you add all the the recommended specs like intel core i7, USB 3.1 ports and 500Gb SSD. Anyway I did come accross Dell Inspiron 15 (7000) that is just about within my budget. This laptop has all the recommended specs but 8 gb RAM but it says it can be upgraded to 32 gb. I was thinking of buying this pc and if there is not enough RAM, upgrading at a later date. Anyway as I don’t know a lot about computers I was looking for advice whether this is a good idea or not? I really don’t want to run in to problems down the road upgrading the RAM after spending so much on the laptop (it’s about €1100). Any advice is much appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭jiltloop

I think you'll probably find that 8Gb RAM is fine, my laptop is a 7 year old Dell XPS i7 with 6Gb RAM which has always been well able to handle anything that I've thrown at it (running 64bit Ableton/Reaper/Reason etc with various soft synths such as Absynth, Serum, Moog Modular etc). If you do find yourself wanting to upgrade down the line it should be a fairly simple procedure.

Advertisement