Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

weighted blanket

• 17-12-2018 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭

Has anyone here made a weighed blanket. I love the idea of them to help with anxiety and sleep but can't justify upwards of 100euro for them. Thinking of trying to make my own with 2 throws from Penny's, poly-pellets and a sewing machine. Any tips? Idea? Thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Maybe some small fishing weights (leads? or whatever they're called) sewn in would help, too.

Many, many, many years ago my gradmother made a feather bed (for lack of a better word) out of years of chicken feathers kept aside for that purpose - it's like a giant pillow that's the length of a single bed, I'd say it weighs over 15 kilos. It feels a bit heavy when you sleep under it at first, but it's incredibly cosy and it's actually very comfortable. Maybe don't go to that extent, but maybe using a few feather pillows to make a duvet would work. Otherwise, old-fashioned woollen blankets are quite heavy, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ErikaDeanda

I see a lot of people sharing their homemade weighted blankets, sorry but I doubt sewing technique. If you don't want to see the leaked beads the next day you use it, you can choose some weighted blanket brands that you can trust. I think the current price is very reasonable, the quality is very good, and the value for money.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

The knitted blanket I just finished( see thread) is actually very heavy and may serve that purpose. I made it from thick mohair mix used double on finer needles than usual. Happy to pass it on.

Advertisement