Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Seeking modern-day Philosopher for project on Reality

Options
  • 17-10-2017 12:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hows it going, I'm in my final year of creative digital media, and am required to complete a final year project accordingly. I am interested in creating a video piece which examines reality and challenges our perception of it.
    I plan to speak to different professionals (philosopher/ scientist) and portray their narration through surreal imagery and impossible occurrences on-screen.

I'm wondering if anyone knows of anyone who would be interested in such a project. Or any other information or direction would be greatly appreciated!

All the best

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Prof. Luke o Neill isn't too media shy https://youtu.be/Pda1T3rJrig
    Probably any of the Dublin tedx talks would be a good place to start.

Futureproof on newstalk has had a good few scientists who were fairly 'out there' to the point of having philosophical discussions. Dunno if many were Irish ,you could try contacting or twittering them http://www.newstalk.com/futureproof

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Reality is my forte. Over the years I have tried to share my understanding of reality with others in order to help them avoid catastrophe. I failed. Right now I see people in Ireland obsessing over things that seem trivial from my perspective while important matters are being ignored. This is my understanding not just of Ireland but the western world. For example, the media here seem to be obsessed with social issues from gay marriage to abortion to children who died in institutional care decades ago and all while they are completely ignoring the perilous vulnerability of the debt laden Irish economy.

Also as a devout and conservative Catholic, my reality is one of individual responsibility and I see every Catholic as an individual soul, not a part of an artificial institution. In any case, the Catholic Church I recognize is God`s legacy, I do not see it as an earthly organization as such. In my reality, Christianity was good for the Gentiles and secularism will therefore be bad.

So what should focus be on? In two words: God and work. People should be frugal, pray and work. Work is a wonderful positive that can change so so so much for the better. I have tried explaining why a minimum wage is such a terrible idea but nobody wants to hear it. Ireland is passionately focused on negative things like vengeance for perceived or alleged wrongs of the past instead of volunteering to work on tangible projects that will benefit future generations.

If I my perception of reality is real, Ireland is on the wrong track and consequently it will become like hell on earth within a decade.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

MOD: Garzone's OP of last year concerned the completion of a project, which now should have been completed. Consequently it's recommended that any new contributions to this OP's topic should be started as a new thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭roosh

Not a new contribution, per se, so probably not worthy of a new thread. Just wondering if there is any update on the project?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,001 CMod ✭✭✭✭Fathom

roosh wrote: »
    Not a new contribution, per se, so probably not worthy of a new thread. Just wondering if there is any update on the project?
    Followups always of interest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement